The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Personally not eating any food prepared by someone else - even avoiding Cobs bread.  Honestly it may come off as being paranoid but that and avoiding swimming seems like a good idea.

Public pools are disgusting germ factories at the best of times.

You're risk of getting sick from the food is low as long as its heated properly, but you'll probably get sick from the server touching the plate if they are infected. I haven't seen anything specific yet on food handling and this virus but I'd be surprised if proper re-heating doesn't kill it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Better hope they don't have Chronic Wasting Disease :P

Oh boy, right. 

Ok ..Sea Lions! lots of them on the log booms across the bay, they swim past the house daily....how much test does my fishing line need to be? what do those animals weigh ?

Do they taste any good?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Devloping a vaccine could be done tomorrow. Testing it to make sure it's safe for millions of people can't.

I think they will allow more risk for the testing than normal, particularly China. 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh boy, right. 

Ok ..Sea Lions! lots of them on the log booms across the bay, they swim past the house daily....how much test does my fishing line need to be? what do those animals weigh ?

Do they taste any good?

600 lbs for a large  male California Sea Lion, 2,200 lbs for a Stellar Sea Lion.

Seals sink quickly after death, if you are going out with a rifle.

A native group is trying to start a seal/sea lion fishery, with the meat going to Asia.

• Thanks 1

White House set to declare national disaster on virus; classifies meetings

Wed 11 Mar 2020 16:59:45 GMT

Two news items on the White House

A few political stories are doing the rounds.
  1. White House is favorably disposed toward declaring a national disaster under the Stafford Act, which would free up up to $40 billion in immediate aid, according to Politico.
  2. The White House and Republicans so far like what they're hearing about the bill the House plans to unveil for the virus today but Trump hasn't spoken to Pelosi
  3. Bernie Sanders will announce momentarily that he's staying in the Presidential race
  4. The White House told the federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberation, according to Reuters.

Coronavirus cases in Spain are soaring

Wed 11 Mar 2020 16:34:38 GMT

The numbers have shot higher

Parts of Spain sound like they will be quickly overrun by coronavirus cases. Madrid closed schools yesterday after an initial jump in cases and the numbers continue to rise.

On Friday, the number was at 359, then 447 Saturday, to 643 on Monday, 1204 yesterday and 2188 today.
Edited by nuckin_futz

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

600 lbs for a large  male California Sea Lion, 2,200 lbs for a Stellar Sea Lion.

Seals sink quickly after death, if you are going out with a rifle.

A native group is trying to start a seal/sea lion fishery, with the meat going to Asia.

I'll try to get one on the booms or docks then. 

I think we have both Stellar and Cali.

I found this pic from the area.

In fact my house is to the left of that white boat in the distance across the bay.

steller-and-califonia-sea-lions-at-craig-bay-logging-yard-nanoose-CNBMMW.jpg.0e1e423ba61b60bc69c6ac5dc118c213.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Washington State bans certain gatherings of over 250 people

Wed 11 Mar 2020 17:30:21 GMT

Washington State aims to slow spread

The ban is in place through March and the governor said it's likely to be extended. There is about to be a wave of similar announcements and I wouldn't be surprised if pro sports are cancelled imminently.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, StealthNuck said:

Yeah, the NHL and teams should probably start getting ahead of this a bit more. 

Really hope it is just empty arenas and not a cancelling of the games.

It will be weird to see but what are we going to watch stuck in our homes?!

Time to get into watching the Vancouver Titans streams?

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Zombie apocalypse movies?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd much prefer empty arenas over nothing at all - but that decision needs to be made aggressively, and soon. 

Titans are fun if you can actually manage to see through the particle effects and shields in OW. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/9/21171674/coronavirus-epidemic-canceling-events-outbreak-reduction

With cases spiking in the US the NHL (and other leagues) should do the responsible thing. Cancelling conferences, large gatherings, schools etc. is pointless if you're still holding multiple sporting events with 15-20000 people every single day. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1