The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

It's unfortunate it often takes some major crisis for us to take action. If we had taken the advice of these two presidents, Bill Gates and countless others warning about this, globally we might have been in a better place to respond to pandemic such as this. Regardless of your political views, it's clear that these two Harvard graduates(Bush and Obama) would have handled this outbreak better than Trump did. If your wondering why these guys didn't do anything about it, they did; they prepared resources, plans and playbooks. Trump just didn't want anything to do with either of them so ignored all their plans and playbooks for this scenario.

No country can take the place of the U.S. In times of global crisis, it's leaders are relied upon more than any other, to get us out. Whether it be world war 2, the great depression, the cuban missile crisis, the financial crisis of 2009, ebola in 2014, the US was central in getting us and the world out of those problems. 

The world is really missing and lacking that Franklin Roosevelt, that John F Kennedy, that Abraham Lincoln, that Barack Obama type leader right now. 

Yeah but that obviously was meaningless when China was obfuscating the facts for a month and making key people disappear, Chinese tourists, and nationals returning already spreading the virus to Europe and the US before the full seriousness was understood. Europe shouldn’t need Obama to figure that out, I also find that somewhat offensive to think that the US should be the master solver of all things evil. Sweden for example has one of the most progressive governments in Europe and we're not in lockdown, we're just practicing social distancing good hygiene and health, and we're not seeing a significant difference than anywhere else in the world.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

This is why social media sucks. Everyone is sucked into this vortex of thinking they know but yet they don't know enough to say everything. But yet they spew little parts of intelligence they haven't even formed in their brains.

Obviously will power, body heat regulation, and proximity are key. Yet the answer is close.

Lol: what does yet really mean? Is it like a jedi

But, yet, conjunction

Okay

B) Stay strong

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

Sorry guys. i think I'm suffering from realization. This thing is nasty and we're going to have to come up with something a little crazy. i hope we all make it through. The best we can do is be fit. I used to be immaculate and I'm still lazy. The fit will defeat Covid. Get off your arse, your life depends on it.

Easiest infomercial ever.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

Well, tell that to the idiots deciding to travel this long weekend.  Looks like most sailings to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island are fully reserved for tomorrow...Screenshot_20200409-221446.thumb.png.d804375d1ed9494c5760d57cfe0d8570.png

Why are sailings even running? Shut it down ffs. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sorry guys. i think I'm suffering from realization. This thing is nasty and we're going to have to come up with something a little crazy. i hope we all make it through. The best we can do is be fit. I used to be immaculate and I'm still lazy. The fit will defeat Covid. Get off your arse, your life depends on it.

I hoarded a couple of 25lbs weights from our condo building's gym, and I've been using those and doing tons of yoga and early morning runs to the point that in one month I've lost 5lbs, put on muscle, and now I'm getting back into the best shape I've been in in the last decade. I was working out every morning before work before this, but now that I can do it all way more often at home throughout the day, it's really starting to make a huge difference. Of course, going off the wacky about a month before this all started helps more than anything! #covidsilverlining

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You must not have been paying attention in Canada.

The liberals have been doing that since they got in power...they were ahead of the curve.

PS: I am not a liberal supporter but they have done well during this pandemic imo.

Canadian government has done well? Apparently Canadian Intelligence informed the federal government about C-19 in early January. Yet they towed the line from WHO and continued open borders and did not initiate a rapid buildup in PPE. While the most successful countries fighting the virus have used face protection Canada discounted the idea and yet now suggest maybe. The N95 masks have to be reserved for health workers because of short supply. Testing? No matter the news most people cannot get one. 

Lots of questions to be asked but few are. As is typical with this government when accountability rears its ugly head they simply changed the narrative. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheAce said:

Not that I support Trump and there is certainly enough things to trash him on but there are 68 countries who have heavily restricted there exports and mainly medical equipment yet we only hear about how Trump was doing it. Even a couple days ago Karina Gould told the media that Canada wont be sending medical supplies out to other countries until we know we have enough.  Isnt that what every leader should be doing ?  Making sure there own country is looked after first ?  Looks a bit more of a deflection from the Canadian government to get people angry at Trump instead of admitting that the mistake was made by sending medical equipment to China in the first place that left us short and scrambling to buy more from other countries.

The herd mentality that exists on this thread is staggering. Group think gone wild. To me hating Trump is a cop out, easy think. USA media and the Democrats have done such a poor job of offering up a truthful message it empowers politicians like Trump. If people were truly into truth the financial impact on the debt facing all governments in the world would be front and center. The USA is in big trouble and sorry it is not all Trump. That doesn't give him an out and in fact incriminates him along with all the others. People don't understand the full impact of what is coming. When people realize that governments cannot deliver on their programs all hell will break out. It won't make any dif who is running things the Dems or GOP. This will not be another 2008 and Canada will not have the oil revenue to save it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canadian government has done well? Apparently Canadian Intelligence informed the federal government about C-19 in early January. Yet they towed the line from WHO and continued open borders and did not initiate a rapid buildup in PPE. While the most successful countries fighting the virus have used face protection Canada discounted the idea and yet now suggest maybe. The N95 masks have to be reserved for health workers because of short supply. Testing? No matter the news most people cannot get one. 

Lots of questions to be asked but few are. As is typical with this government when accountability rears its ugly head they simply changed the narrative. 

Unfortunately, Canada will never be leaders in anything. It's not in our nature. We let others act first and then follow. It's ingrained in our polite culture. 

However, I've said this before to another poster, how it's easy to criticism from an armchair in hindsight, but try to put yourself in their position and honestly think if you would've had the foresight to make all those tough decisions to shut down airlines, professional sports leagues, concerts, every school system, the entire country's dental system, hoard PPE, etc., all before anyone else did. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Unfortunately, Canada will never be leaders in anything. It's not in our nature. We let others act first and then follow. It's ingrained in our polite culture. 

However, I've said this before to another poster, how it's easy to criticism from an armchair in hindsight, but try to put yourself in their position and honestly think if you would've had the foresight to make all those tough decisions to shut down airlines, professional sports leagues, concerts, every school system, the entire country's dental system, hoard PPE, etc., all before anyone else did. 

What you are saying has a lot of truth, no doubt. I am in the armchair and my knowledge of the true status is based on some BS. That said Canada like all nations had the experience of SARs and H1N1 to warn of this scenario. Where are the experts that we so readily defer to? There has to be accountability or how do learn from this? IMHO the laid back nature of Canadians is more about the living standard than innate "niceness".

Yes, I agree that the decision to shut the country down is a huge one and will have massive ramifications. IMHO the beliefs that we as Canadians have operated from will be fundamentally changed. I do not think that earning a living in this country will be near as easy as it was. That said we are a country nearing 40 million strong and do have strengths we can grow from.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Unfortunately, Canada will never be leaders in anything. It's not in our nature.

I find this kind of comment very frustrating, and also uninformed. Canada leads or is at the top of the global leaderboard in many areas. You're just not looking. 

And thats where the 'problem' lies if it is actually a problem. What we don't do is endlessly self-promote the way the US does. And while that might cause some issues like people not understanding we really are great at many things, it also means we don't sell BS to ourselves the way the US does. And we can see the effect of that right now in our pandemic responses. How many people in the US just didn't take it seriously? the "we're the best and we got this" unjustified attitude the US often has isn't helping them now, is it?

(not direct at you personally btw, just bothers me to see this when we do lead in many areas)

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

All this talk about a WHO conspiracy is just playing right into Trumps hands and giving the clown an out on his incompetent under-reaction to the pandemic. 

Nominating a candidate like Sleepy Joe makes it easier for him to win a 2nd term.  Something to consider though....a crisis on the magnitude like this, generally spikes the approval rating of a "leader" of a country (even a mediocre one like Justin).  Even moreso with the Yanks.  Bone Spurs approval rating is pretty much where it has always been (his 'supporter's aren't going to change even if he was shown running over a puppy with his car).

12 hours ago, TheAce said:

I dont know enough about American Law but when he invoked the DPA, Ive heard that gives him the right to keep medical equipment . Maybe someone with a bit more legal expertise would know..... however at the time, America was the hardest hit country with cases and they had there own shortages of medical equipment so even though im an essential worker and my company didnt have masks for us, I understood why a country would want to make sure they had enough. Ive also heard of other rumors with the 3M/Trump feud , ( 3M not fulfilling there orders to the US but basically selling to the highest bidder )  but whether they are true or not I dont know. But it could explain why 3M went public with the story.... Either way, it sounds like Trump and 3M came to an agreement and they are still exporting to other countries .

sounds like that may be off again. We just have to wait for the actual delivery announcements if they do show up. 

We happen to be a materials supplier to the US for much of their PPE needs. Should be cut them off, just in case we need it too? stop our medical staff from working in the US? or just use common sense and allow our integrated systems to do what they do best and help all of us?

It also seems that Trump doesn't really have a clue how to leverage the DPA (https://www.politico.com/news/agenda/2020/04/09/trump-defense-production-act-175920)

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What you are saying has a lot of truth, no doubt. I am in the armchair and my knowledge of the true status is based on some BS. That said Canada like all nations had the experience of SARs and H1N1 to warn of this scenario. Where are the experts that we so readily defer to? There has to be accountability or how do learn from this? IMHO the laid back nature of Canadians is more about the living standard than innate "niceness".

Yes, I agree that the decision to shut the country down is a huge one and will have massive ramifications. IMHO the beliefs that we as Canadians have operated from will be fundamentally changed. I do not think that earning a living in this country will be near as easy as it was. That said we are a country nearing 40 million strong and do have strengths we can grow from.  

All very true. And it's also just a byproduct of human nature to be so reactive rather than proactive. I do agree, tho, that things will change drastically after this, as this is an unprecedented event in modern history. 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I find this kind of comment very frustrating, and also uninformed. Canada leads or is at the top of the global leaderboard in many areas. You're just not looking. 

And thats where the 'problem' lies if it is actually a problem. What we don't do is endlessly self-promote the way the US does. And while that might cause some issues like people not understanding we really are great at many things, it also means we don't sell BS to ourselves the way the US does. And we can see the effect of that right now in our pandemic responses. How many people in the US just didn't take it seriously? the "we're the best and we got this" unjustified attitude the US often has isn't helping them now, is it?

(not direct at you personally btw, just bothers me to see this when we do lead in many areas)

I'm not saying we're not great at things, but I don't fully accept that we're leaders in big ways; I'm always open to discussion, so what are some areas that we're global leaders?

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sadly, I wish this was true but it's not.

Many fit people are falling ill and some are dying.  So it's a bit of a false hope thing...I, too, believe being fit helps (obviously it boosts the immune system, etc.).  But it isn't a guarantee.  

But fitness also is very good for the mental aspect of things and can be a great distraction and coping mechanism.

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Why are sailings even running? Shut it down ffs. 

1,400 people, plus, laid off from the ferries. Many routes cancelled, others running half the time.

Essential service, carrying all the freight trucks and a few passenger cars.

No notice, no collective agreement rights, just told the day of lay off. No bumping, no severance. just go home.

Employer either couldn't or, didn't talk to the feds and get their employees covered under the 'Feds pay 75% wages" subsidy.

Multiple unfair labour practice complaints filed.

Waiting to see if the labour relations board and government will follow the law or just make up new ones.

• Upvote 2