The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dr Oz....soon to be Bone Spurs top medical expert.

you first, Oz. 

He was creepy before but he's reaching new highs. He probably thinks he's in line for surgeon general now. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dr Oz....soon to be Bone Spurs top medical expert.

Dr. Oz should receive a large fine for using the word "only" while talking about a 2 to 3% mortality rate. Where are the English police when you need them.

16 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Sorry, but you don't know people's situations, and to assume isn't the way to go.

My wife and I live downtown Vic, don't own a vehicle, meal plan like pros, cook everything, and stock up for three weeks at a time so that we can hunker down for as long as possible. How am I supposed to shop alone and carry (walk) everything home when I only have a backpack and two arms? She's a buck twenty and certainly can't carry everything alone either. Should I make multiple trips, because I don't find that helps? We both take the rules very seriously, and the two of us together can get in and out very quickly while keeping us and others safe. Sure, there will be people who don't follow the rules and aren't like the two of us, but maybe they are.

Simple really. 

One person can wait outside the store and help carry the groceries home. A shopping cart inside the store will suffice for one person to get everything needed. A grocery list will make sure that the one person inside the store does not miss anything.

Shopping alone is a recommendation from health officials and I've watched video from store managers pleading for people to shop alone - meaning no couples and no kids unless circumstances require that.

Personally it does not matter to me. Last time I went shopping I saw several older couples - I have no issues with that.  However there are some people who are deathly afraid of being in close contact with people in the store and overcrowding is a real problem for them. Also the less people the better in protecting staff.

I was in the the baking aisle alone when a older lady entered the aisle. I was having a hard time finding yeast of course so was going up and down the aisle. I noticed she was very nervous as I started to get closer to her and she said the aisle was one way only. I knew this but said I was having a hard time finding something. I was a bit annoyed she was calling me out for going the wrong way when I was searching for something lol. I offered for her to pass me but that clearly revolted her by the look of disgust on her face. She very clearly did not want to be close to anyone. I ended up backing out of the aisle and let her pass so I could go back to looking for yeast - which of course was gone.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I wonder how long this will last. I am not sure the economy can handle this for even another Month.

Every week there are more layoffs as people are not spending the money they have or no longer have which has a cascading effect that we have not fully seen the impact yet.

I am sure the authorities are working hard to increase testing and therapies so we can get back to work. But man how unprepared was our government (and most other governments).  Do you think our government will learn from all these mistakes? Like telling us masks do not do anything for the general public which was an obvious lie because we did not have enough for everyone.

What else does our government lie to us about? 

On the topic of US schools, did you know yesterday the US claimed this March was the first without a school shooting in 18 years?

Then had to walk it back with, actually there were 4 accidental discharges, a few just off grounds and a few involving adults.... 

Even when schools are shut down, there are school shootings. 

Edited by Canada Hockey Place
  • Upvote 1

A pessimistic look at the U.K.?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/no-matter-how-you-crunch-the-numbers-this-pandemic-is-only-just-getting-started/ar-BB12IVPV?ocid=spartandhp

"

There has not been a lot of good news lately. But with the discharge of Boris Johnson from hospital on Sunday, and statements that the “peak” strain on the National Health Service would be over the Easter period, you might be under the impression that the storm is passing, and the Covid-19 pandemic will soon be a memory.

Fueling this mood are reports from studies of communities already hit by the pandemic. At long last we are beginning to see the results of work looking for signs that people have already been infected, through the presence of antibodies against Sars-CoV-2, the virus which causes Covid-19. Some of this data suggests strongly that many infections may have passed unnoticed, with the only symptoms being mild things such as loss of the ability to smell and taste, and that as a result, more people may be immune than had been thought. Surely this is a sign that communities around the world can breathe a sigh of relief and start getting back to work?

Unfortunately, it is nothing of the kind.

Talk of the “peak” can be misleading, because it’s not clear whether you are talking about the Matterhorn or Table Mountain – both have a summit, but the peak is far more pronounced in one than the other. In countries such as Italy (unlike Wuhan) the initial surge in the Covid-19 pandemic has not evaporated quickly. There are multiple reasons for this but the most important is that the impact of physical distancing achieved in China has been hard to accomplish elsewhere, mostly because of the freedoms we correctly value in liberal democracies.

Worse, there may be a mountain range. In other words, what is happening right now could be just one peak – not the peak. And the reason for this is that despite all those positive signs from antibody testing, the huge majority of the population is not immune.

An editorial in the British Medical Journal has reported data from China suggesting that as many as four in five cases of Sars-CoV-2 infection could be asymptomatic. It then goes on to quote people from the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine in Oxford, who say that if this is true “What the hell are we locking down for?” I wish those people would be brave enough to go and repeat that opinion in an ER in the Bronx right now, in which actual medicine is going on. Worrying about the exact rate of asymptomatic infection, or the currently unknown duration of immunity and a possible “second wave”, is like politely applauding the performance in a jazz club and murmuring “nice” while the building is demolished around you and the piano player gets decapitated.

There have been more than 93,000 cases of Covid-19 identified in the UK. Let’s round that up and say it is 100,000. So if the reports from the BMJ editorial are accurate, the actual number would be that multiplied by five, in which case there would have already been half a million infections in the UK. If this really is the peak and we see as many cases on the way down as on the way up, that would total 1 million infections from the initial surge in the UK – hopefully all of those people would then be immune.

That would leave about 65 million people in the UK still without immunity.

I am going to be unusually optimistic here, and assume that everyone who has Covid-19 becomes fully immune (not a given), and that the virus is towards the less transmissible end of the range of estimates currently available. If this is the case, you would need half your population to have been infected to achieve a level of population immunity that would stop the epidemic continuing to grow and overwhelming healthcare systems. 

As I write the UK is reporting more than 10,000 deaths from Covid-19. Due to the realities of collecting data during an infectious disease emergency like this, that is likely to be an underestimate. Again, if we assume this is the peak and there is the same number on the way down that’s 20,000 total from the initial surge. And to get to population immunity you have to multiply that by at least 30: based on the current data, that’s about 600,000 deaths to get there, minimum.

Finding a vaccine to offer a complete solution to this pandemic is, even in the best scenarios, is still a long way off But it is not hard to see many ways we can slow the pace of the pandemic and save lives. One of them is greatly improved testing to identify cases and their contacts, which could be supplemented by clever digital methods to spot who has been at risk.

Governments around the world are attempting ways to keep jobs and businesses afloat while lockdowns are in place – but the pressure remains to swiftly end such shutdowns. I get that this is going to be a mammoth strain on the economy. But the deaths of many thousands of people would be too: it is simply not possible to thoroughly insulate an economy from the impact of a pandemic of this kind.

Where I live, in Cambridge Massachusetts, I keep hearing sirens. This crisis is not close to over, quite the reverse. The pandemic is only just getting started."

------------------------------------------------------

"And to get to population immunity you have to multiply that by at least 30: based on the current data, that’s about 600,000 deaths to get there, minimum."

WTF?

Is this guy's math correct?

13 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Simple really. 

One person can wait outside the store and help carry the groceries home. A shopping cart inside the store will suffice for one person to get everything needed. A grocery list will make sure that the one person inside the store does not miss anything.

Shopping alone is a recommendation from health officials and I've watched video from store managers pleading for people to shop alone - meaning no couples and no kids unless circumstances require that.

Personally it does not matter to me. Last time I went shopping I saw several older couples - I have no issues with that.  However there are some people who are deathly afraid of being in close contact with people in the store and overcrowding is a real problem for them. Also the less people the better in protecting staff.

I was in the the baking aisle alone when a older lady entered the aisle. I was having a hard time finding yeast of course so was going up and down the aisle. I noticed she was very nervous as I started to get closer to her and she said the aisle was one way only. I knew this but said I was having a hard time finding something. I was a bit annoyed she was calling me out for going the wrong way when I was searching for something lol. I offered for her to pass me but that clearly revolted her by the look of disgust on her face. She very clearly did not want to be close to anyone. I ended up backing out of the aisle and let her pass so I could go back to looking for yeast - which of course was gone.

Groceries stores shouldnt even be open to the general public.  Run them 24/7, with three shifts.  First two shifts fill online orders and pickup, third shift restocks and cleans.  Staff who would normally be dealing with thousands of people now fill orders and that should deal with wait times.

Exceptions made for people who don't have internet access or credit cards to book times for in store shopping.  I think you'd clear 85% of the traffic from grocery stores.........that's a huge hit to virus transmission and keeps workers safe from being exposed to thousands every day.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Groceries stores shouldnt even be open to the general public.  Run them 24/7, with three shifts.  First two shifts fill online orders and pickup, third shift restocks and cleans.  Staff who would normally be dealing with thousands of people now fill orders and that should deal with wait times.

Exceptions made for people who don't have internet access or credit cards to book times for in store shopping.  I think you'd clear 85% of the traffic from grocery stores.........that's a huge hit to virus transmission and keeps workers safe from being exposed to thousands every day.

I have been thinking if I could volunteer and deliver groceries. Kind of like our boy Podkolzin :towel:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

Getting freaky. I've stuck with this one link for many weeks so as to have the same source.

Have been watching as the overall mortality rate climbs

defined as confirmed cases divided by deaths

2,128,566 cases confirmed 142,624 deaths 539,000 recovered, mortality rate  6.7%

Also 7 of the top 21 countries for confirmed cases are over 10% mortality.

Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium and the U.K. continue to get hammered.

After this is all over, it will turn out Canada did some things wrong, but I believe it will turn out Canada got most things right.

Those numbers out of China, 

BC598CE1-F447-4DB2-93D0-52D301EA9201.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I can't even contemplate opening schools for the rest of this school year.  If closing them was the first line of defense to slow the spread, it should be the last to open for the same reason.

Dr. Oz doesn't have the best track record to begin with. He often sells unproven sketchy products on his show which is terrible to begin with given he's supposed to be a doctor we can "trust". Now he's fine with killing people? Who's in his pocket this time for him to say that?

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Dr. Oz doesn't have the best track record to begin with. He often sells unproven sketchy products on his show which is terrible to begin with given he's supposed to be a doctor we can "trust". Now he's fine with killing people? Who's in his pocket this time for him to say that?

Stocks in a crematorium?  Kind of like Marty Byrd?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

Stocks in a crematorium?  Kind of like Marty Byrd?

There are a lot of schools in the states that are facades of businesses (the private schools in particular). Those businesses would be losing money at that point and I wouldn't be surprised if they were panicking at the moment and trying to "get a say" in when they are opening back up.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Too bad really because they closed the border to China early so they really had a jump start on everyone on containing the spread.

Who says the border with China was the problem?  I've heard that many of the US cases can be traced back to Europe and the UK not directly from China (I'm not letting China off the hook, I'm well aware that this is where the pandemic started)

• Cheers 2