The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

47 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Personally I would love to see Katie Porter get a hold of Steve Mnuchin and ask him to live for 10 weeks on 1200 dollars or at the very least explain how to.

The US treasury is making sure that their workers are forced to go back to work and without a doubt causing more deaths due to a little thing like a global pandemic.

This is another example of a politician being so far out of reality of what hard working, tax paying citizens are trying their best to deal with.

Lets see if these rich folks come out of their mansions to show how to get the economy up and running again and be in harms way like regular citizens.

Sounds like a great TV show.

Edited by Me_

Speaking of "yeast", I heard a story of a fellow who had trouble with birds building nests in his horses' hair. After many attempts at trying on his own to solve it, he asked a veterinarian who said to sprinkle yeast in the hair. Sure enough it worked! When asked why, the veterinarian replied, "Yeast is yeast, and nest is nest, and never the mane shall tweet!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

please help them all organize a parade jimmy

I've thought many times how easy it would be to set up a site or a "charity" to milk people like that.... but I just can't do it. Damn Catholic school upbringing, without it I'd be loaded. Or maybe in jail. Or both. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe Covid-19 is a stupidity disease in the sense that, if you’re too stupid to abide by common sense, your number might be up.

However, watch them find herd immunity because their brains can’t even process the idea of the virus.

So the virus be like “yo wtf” and just leaves them.

Edited by Me_

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've thought many times how easy it would be to set up a site or a "charity" to milk people like that.... but I just can't do it. Damn Catholic school upbringing, without it I'd be loaded. Or maybe in jail. Or both. 

A church could solve all your problems. You could even ask for forgiveness. :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Brief positive thinking interlude:

When this is all over,  people will be so damn happy the virus is gone; I'll have a really good shot of getting a lady over to Netflix and chill. :emot-parrot:

Can't help but think it'll be an orgyfest once this is all said and done.^_^

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

It’s a pandemic...

Not one managing entity, whether world body like the WHO, not governments like Ottawa could’ve done anything about it.

Not one measure would be adequate until statistics start painting a picture.

By that time, it is already way too late. 

That is the nature of pandemic. It spreads, people remain asymptomatic for a long time, and then symptoms start to show.

When symptoms start to show, millions already have it.

To this day, there are asymptomatic people who have it and never would’ve known.

An Atlanta hospital developed its own antibody test and tested the entire hospital staff. A staff member came positive for antibodies. That means she had it, never know it, and has spread it at some point, and maybe still.

The story starts at 11:50

Lots of blame going around. But really, not one prediction or model could’ve brought anyone to high alert until it was way too late in the game.

However, the human brain has to make sense of everything so in this case, it starts looking for broken links and blame.

Some governments were way more prepared than others. Look at Taiwan only 6 deaths and schools and restaurants never closed. Population is over 27 million.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/14/834431383/taiwan-reports-no-new-coronavirus-cases-adding-to-success-in-fighting-pandemic

Our response and preparedness was so grossly mismanaged in comparison. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I will shop with my GF when she is able to go...tons of couples go shopping. It is better to go together imo as we get everything we need instead of maybe passing over something or not knowing exactly what the other person may want to cook or have. We go maybe once a week and stock up.

You must be off work if you have nothing better to do then to go to the store manager and then proceed to talk to a police officer regarding this. Each to their own, but I have no problem seeing couples out shopping together or seeing them walking together. 

Most may not agree with my stance, but this is a RARE Pandemic and in my situation I know my GF needs that reassurance that we still do as many things together as possible. We briefly tried doing things a bit differently and she had a very difficult time and it was making her go a bit "crazy" so we chose to still do the shopping together etc but we 110% for sure are being careful in how we are going about doing it. We shop in the final 30 minutes the store is open.

Lol, this argument is hilarious. What is the problem with people that cohabitate shopping together?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, this argument is hilarious. What is the problem with people that cohabitate shopping together?

Logistics. I will dumb it down. Space. The extra shoppers take up space and reduce the number of shoppers actually shopping. 

18 hours ago, sonoman said:

I went at 6:30 and only about 10-15 minute wait to get in (Nanaimo).  They have staff around the warehouse with signs to remind people of social distancing 

Thanks Sonoman

I actually was at Costco at 930 this morning......same line up

a friend told me they are going about 730 pm and its pretty clear

I waited and went in......LOL, and they did not have the shoes I wanted...

Teaches me, I could have of picked them up just before this covid started happening

Cheers

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

Speaking of "yeast", I heard a story of a fellow who had trouble with birds building nests in his horses' hair. After many attempts at trying on his own to solve it, he asked a veterinarian who said to sprinkle yeast in the hair. Sure enough it worked! When asked why, the veterinarian replied, "Yeast is yeast, and nest is nest, and never the mane shall tweet!!!

423637F2-D9DE-411C-B4BE-B969660A9520.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

10 weeks would include 2 months of rent/mortgage.  Which bridge am I sleeping under that my mortgage is that cheap?....and hopefully there's a nice garbage can nearby that I can eat out of.

$1200 lasting me 12 weeks, what a joke.

Maybe in 1980

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Laser Canuck said:

Some governments were way more prepared than others. Look at Taiwan only 6 deaths and schools and restaurants never closed. Population is over 27 million.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/14/834431383/taiwan-reports-no-new-coronavirus-cases-adding-to-success-in-fighting-pandemic

Our response and preparedness was so grossly mismanaged in comparison. 

I think one of the biggest reason of the perceived mismanagement is the sheer size of our country; 9.985 million square kilometres with a population of 37 million people. 

There is a sense of invincibility that comes with living the second biggest country in the world but with a population density of less than 4 people per square kilometre.

South Korea has 51 million people packed in 100,210 square kilometres; that’s 503 people per square kilometre.

Imagine being in a country three times the size of Vancouver Island, with 50+ million people. The sense of urgency in such a place Has to be much more elevated than in Canada.

Our sense of invincibility also comes from going through two world wars.

“It happens over there; not here.”

I think Canadians are under a National illusion unlike most places on Earth; a semi-free enterprise ruling body that offers universal rights like no other place. 

We’re comfortable. I blame no one but comfort. I do understand the quest for an easy answer. But this time around, there are none.

Perhaps we’ll be ready next time around. 

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2