The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

100 skittles.

One will kill you.

How many skittles do you eat?

Yes, i understand your point.  But we will likely have small numbers of covid infection here in BC for maybe the next few years.

So at some point businesses will reopen under strict conditions.... social distrancing.... hand sanitizer etc... limited people entering.... 

Would May 15th in BC  be a  realistic  expectation ?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I guess it comes down to - Do you need two brains to chose what kind of ketchup to buy, or can one brain handle such an important life decision.

Clearly ketchup doesn't matter, you've had one you've had them all.  Barbecue sauce however...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

. It's one thing to flatten the curve and another thing to have few enough cases to where it's manageable.

What number is that ?  15 ?    Or do we look at how many were transfered in community...  ?  

Yes, i agree social distancing for years likely...  In quebec , where social contact is more prevelant ..... changes there may be forever. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Virus is constantly mutating.  Any vaccine developed with only have limited success against this virus going forward. 

Except once the first virus is created, it's easier creating a vaccine to go after the mutated strains.

Previous coronavirus strains have not had a virus which is what adds to the problem; otherwise, finding a virus now would be easier as we would have had something more substantial to base on. At least that's my understanding of it when researching it the past weeks.

Edit: changed "virus" to "vaccine", lol bad spelling mistake

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

What number is that ?  15 ?    Or do we look at how many were transfered in community...  ?  

Yes, i agree social distancing for years likely...  In quebec , where social contact is more prevelant ..... changes there may be forever. 

Doubtful it would be a set number. Probably would depend on how well we are doing in terms of rate of transference more than anything (ie. new cases per day along with total number of cases).

Also, keep in mind other countries like Spain are attempting to bring things slowly back in now, so we will have data from other countries to base things on.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, i understand your point.  But we will likely have small numbers of covid infection here in BC for maybe the next few years.

So at some point businesses will reopen under strict conditions.... social distrancing.... hand sanitizer etc... limited people entering.... 

Possibly.

Highly unlikely.

Its resistant to heat. We’ll get to figure this one out this summer.

Then we’ll get our heads out of our you know what and figure out that the world has changed forever.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

By May 2021 there won't be any business left..... to even reopen. 

The nature of commerce is adaptation to its time.

We need to reinvent everything that is human interaction. 

Luckily, we have come a long way and have built a Tower of Babel for ourselves; instant global communication.

New business. Ways and means yet unforeseen shall come to fruition.

It may depend on whether we look back or look forward. 

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

The nature of commerce is adaptation to its time.

We need to reinvent everything that is human interaction. 

Luckily, we have come a long way and have built a Tower of Babel for ourselves; instant global communication.

New business. Ways and means yet unforeseen shall come to fruition.

It may depend if whether we look back or look forward. 

Sorry but that is unrealistic. Small business is the heart of BC.

If current small business is wiped out... to much expertise will be forever lost.  It will not simply be rebuilt. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sorry but that is unrealistic. Small business is the heart of BC.

If current small business is wiped out... to much expertise will be forever lost.  It will not simply be rebuilt. 

There will be tragic casualty in the business world.

”Small business” however, may flourish like never before as social distancing makes it a necessity to retool our world for a very different next quarter century, involving drastically smaller crowds for maybe the next few years.

The carnage in the small business world will be horrible for some and almost a Godsend for others. 

Can there be a marriage between the two ideas; a program of transition, of re-re-education, of making patenting more affordable and some free; 3D replication en mass could be done locally anytime.

In devastation, there is opportunity. Provide a needed service and you will be rewarded in multiplicity.

But the loss will be immense. I agree.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

Ideas people! Ideas!

We have a plethora of super brains in here, addicted to statistics and the passion of the game. Only this time, the game is a life and death survival program with no end in sight.

Heres a great idea:

Engineers are Converting Old Shipping Containers into Mobile ICUs

A re-inventing of Hospital need? 

Edited by Me_

57 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats a month from now, I really think the next 1-2 weeks after this Easter holiday will tell us where we are.  The big number is hospital and ICU numbers, which have been promising recently going down slowly.  Theres going to be major systematic changes to the in home care systems, etc. to help elderlies but if we continue on this path you got to think by June restaurants will be back up and running with probably limited seating capacity, restricted to maybe 40%, and only certain number of people at tables etc.  But who really knows, hopefully this isolation can get over with soon, even if its in small groups to get together with friends.  My kid misses his friends, would be nice to have one of them and their parents over for a BBQ and obviously be smarter than in the past with distance, etc.  I am hoping for the best by people trying to avoid going out as often as possible that this can be turned around sooner than later.

• Cheers 1