People hospitalized - 349

Currently in critical care - 58

Recovered - 942

Bulk of cases in Lower Mainland

Most cases between age 30 - 60

Deaths under age 40 - 0

Deaths in 40's - 1

Deaths in 60's - 2

Deaths in 70's, 80's, 90's - 69 (one person died over age 100)

They should do more testing though. More positive cases identified actually has a positive affect on the mortality rate which is important in determining steps to the re-mobilization of services. But maybe they're happy to leave it as is.

Edited by RonMexico

18 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree and never said other. I do have a problem with those people going in together and flooding the place . I am not arguing the reason why people go shopping so much, as make it important. I don't know about you, but I think walking is important. We need to be able to move, for crying out loud. My other shoes are too tight, as my tendon is swollen, but my Doctor says to exercise (walk). 

But, I do get your point`......all I am saying is lets be safe and respect other people

I think the respect goes both ways. People should try to limit traffic in a grocery store as best as possible, but people should also respect others' decisions to go with someone else if they feel they need to, as who are any of us to decide what we deem appropriate and essential without knowing their situation(s). Assuming any of our situations are more essential than someone else's is a slippery slope, and the fact of the matter is that grocery shopping is now a game of Frogger that we all have to play. It's also why grocery stores have to limit the number of customers at one time, so if a lane is crowded at some point, people will just have to wait a few seconds or minutes until the car has passed and they can jump to the side of the street safely. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Not surprised a majority of the states on that list are in the south, just sayin'.

I am super surprised about Indiana being on that list though...Purdue, Notre Dame, Indiana University, Ball St, Valparaiso..they've got some really good universities there.  Would have expected them higher.

Well....they did once elect Mike Pence....:unsure:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

They should do more testing though. More positive cases identified actually has a positive affect on the mortality rate which is important in determining steps to the re-mobilization of services. But maybe they're happy to leave it as is.

Dr. Henry gave a very detailed report today on the past testing strategy and what they intend to do in the weeks to come.  The # of hospitalized and deaths so far should give you an idea of how well we are doing.  She did say that when we do start to relax the rules, more broader and extensive testing will be implemented.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read a story earlier today that said there are several counties in the US with zero cases reported. Trump and Pence were using those statistics and glossing over hard hit counties, to try and paint a rosy picture of the overall impact of COVID-19 in the US.

They can open up Wyoming and Montana for business, last time I was there I saw more animals than people.

Not to mention between Salt Lake City and Jackson hole, I didn’t have phone reception half of the trip.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/who-is-getting-the-virus-and-what-comes-next-b-c-s-latest-covid-19-modelling-data-unveiled-1.4900539

Who is getting the virus?

Part of the data released included some demographics of who is getting the virus in the province. The data shows that the median age of those being tested positive for COVID-19 is 54. However, the median age of those who have died is 86. 

"We've had one death in a person in their 40s, two people in their 60s, but the majority of them have been people who are in their 70s, 80s and 90s, including somebody who was over 100," Henry said Friday. "This again reflects that young, healthy people have relatively mild illness,"

How does B.C. compare to other provinces?

While the rate of the virus might be slowing in B.C., that's not necessarily the case in all provinces.

"We have flattened and levelled over the last few weeks," Henry said. 

In other provinces like Quebec and Ontario, however, the curves of new cases and deaths climbed more steeply than in B.C. To date, Ontario has recorded 478 deaths connected to the virus, while Quebec has had 688. Meanwhile B.C. has had recorded 78 COVID-19 deaths. 

On the other hand, provinces like Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Manitoba have all had relatively flat curves.

But Henry said the curves appear to be levelling off in other provinces and said she hopes that trend continues.  

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Dr. Henry gave a very detailed report today on the past testing strategy and what they intend to do in the weeks to come.  The # of hospitalized and deaths so far should give you an idea of how well we are doing.  She did say that when we do start to relax the rules, more broader and extensive testing will be implemented.

Yep i read it. I have many family and friends back in BC so I try to follow what's going on there too. To completely contradict what I said early, maybe they don't need widespread testing and the the real truth lies in the number of deaths, hospitalizations and ICU cases. ...and if the numbers are true, then it doesn't seem like we are as bad off as all the modelling has shown.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think the respect goes both ways. People should try to limit traffic in a grocery store as best as possible, but people should also respect others' decisions to go with someone else if they feel they need to, as who are any of us to decide what we deem appropriate and essential without knowing their situation(s). Assuming any of our situations are more essential than someone else's is a slippery slope, and the fact of the matter is that grocery shopping is now a game of Frogger that we all have to play. It's also why grocery stores have to limit the number of customers at one time, so if a lane is crowded at some point, people will just have to wait a few seconds or minutes until the car has passed and they can jump to the side of the street safely. 

I think there are two sides to this as well.  The recommendation to shop alone came about because the stores were limiting the number of people inside at any one time.  The theory being that more "households" would be able to go through if only a single person went.  But having been to Costco, I've observed many single shoppers lingering in the aisles on their phones asking their partners or spouses whether they want this or that.  Which of course causes congestion.  Going as a couple, may allow you to get out faster since they can split off and grab what they want quickly.  So not as black and white as it seems.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looks like she's trying to walk back her comments now. Using the old "out of context" dodge.....

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/in-pandemic-hammered-sarnia-mp-marilyn-gladu-backs-off-back-to-work-cure-comments

Too late...her remarks are out there forever, now...and I hope voters remember this when the next election comes along. She's been reading the Republican playbook...with a healthy dose of stupidity for garnish.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think there are two sides to this as well.  The recommendation to shop alone came about because the stores were limiting the number of people inside at any one time.  The theory being that more "households" would be able to go through if only a single person went.  But having been to Costco, I've observed many single shoppers lingering in the aisles on their phones asking their partners or spouses whether they want this or that.  Which of course causes congestion.  Going as a couple, may allow you to get out faster since they can split off and grab what they want quickly.  So not as black and white as it seems.

I absolutely agree with you. It's exactly why my partner and I go together. We know how infection spreads (she's a health professional), we know how to stay safe and to limit contact with items yada yada, and we are very good at grocery shopping, which sounds hilarious to say but it's a really thing; and we're in and out in no time and also able to stock up for three weeks so that we're as isolated as possible and not going to the store every few days or week. We also don't own a vehicle and live in a downtown core, so for one person to go and then carry home three weeks of food just isn't feasible.

And here's another thing to consider: stores are limiting many items of two per person, but what about a family of four, should they only be allowed to buy two items of something like a single person living alone when they have more mouths to feed?