The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I think the respect goes both ways. People should try to limit traffic in a grocery store as best as possible, but people should also respect others' decisions to go with someone else if they feel they need to, as who are any of us to decide what we deem appropriate and essential without knowing their situation(s). Assuming any of our situations are more essential than someone else's is a slippery slope, and the fact of the matter is that grocery shopping is now a game of Frogger that we all have to play. It's also why grocery stores have to limit the number of customers at one time, so if a lane is crowded at some point, people will just have to wait a few seconds or minutes until the car has passed and they can jump to the side of the street safely. 

Sorry, but there is health warning/requests about limiting people going into the store to 1 person. This isn't my hair brain idea. 99% of those people are just being ignorant.

I fully support the 1% that need someone to help them. But we are not a society of invalids. Those people that absolutely need someone to help them also suffer from the husband and wife tag team, that are taking their rights to the extreme.

The rule is there for a reason. I actually find it kind of ridiculous to have to argue the case. Again, for those that need it, please do with my blessing, but come on! Most don't.

It would be totally fantastic, if when we seen a couple we actually knew that they needed it. But the truth is, that most are just full of self importance.

Note, That I have a handy capped person that lives below me, and he fights desperately  to maintain his independence. So I find it a little hard because someone wants to be with his wife, just because he wants to go. Seems very self serving and not very respectful of others.

Again, if you actually need someone with you.....you have my blessing! But not just so your partner does not buy the wrong bread.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 2
On 4/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, aGENT said:

One of my semi-affordable favorites (as affordable as Scotch goes anyway):

11757_m-2.jpg?fit=960,1280&ssl=1

Sip it room temp, if you prefer, add a splash of filtered water (I prefer neat myself).

Thank you again for the recommendation 

7126DA10-E7D8-40EA-99B8-63ABBBD2194A.jpeg

• Hydration 4
1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

I can see why Florida is regarded as a dick of the US.  Although they do have some good theme parks.

Nah, the real Dick of the US sits in the White House.  

King Donald thinks he has the absolute authority to open up the economy even though a month ago he sat on his hands, refusing to tell Governors to shut it down.  Shutting things down was always up to individual states.  So is opening things up.  Of course there are some soft heads who would prefer to be told what to do.  I just hope that reason and good sense prevails.   

• Hydration 3
4 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Not surprised a majority of the states on that list are in the south, just sayin'.

I am super surprised about Indiana being on that list though...Purdue, Notre Dame, Indiana University, Ball St, Valparaiso..they've got some really good universities there.  Would have expected them higher.

Not surprised that 9 out of 10 “dumbest” states are firmly in the hands of the Republicans.

Indiana does have some good schools but lot of hillbillies live there.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Hydration 2
15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Nah, the real Dick of the US sits in the White House.  

King Donald thinks he has the absolute authority to open up the economy even though a month ago he sat on his hands, refusing to tell Governors to shut it down.  Shutting things down was always up to individual states.  So is opening things up.  Of course there are some soft heads who would prefer to be told what to do.  I just hope that reason and good sense prevails.   

Apparently Texas is opening up next week.

• Hydration 1
5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I think the respect goes both ways. People should try to limit traffic in a grocery store as best as possible, but people should also respect others' decisions to go with someone else if they feel they need to, as who are any of us to decide what we deem appropriate and essential without knowing their situation(s). Assuming any of our situations are more essential than someone else's is a slippery slope, and the fact of the matter is that grocery shopping is now a game of Frogger that we all have to play. It's also why grocery stores have to limit the number of customers at one time, so if a lane is crowded at some point, people will just have to wait a few seconds or minutes until the car has passed and they can jump to the side of the street safely. 

If playing Frogger will save lives, bring it on.

If the argument is based on “inconvenience”, so is death. Death is very inconvenient.

Seriously.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Laser Canuck said:

This is the first time I went grocery shopping and our frozen pizza’s weren't totally pillaged in over a month. It's crazy. 

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Me_ said:

If playing Frogger will save lives, bring it on.

If the argument is based on “inconvenience”, so is death. Death is very inconvenient.

Seriously.

I'm not sure what you mean? What argument is based on inconvenience?

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm not sure what you mean? What argument is based on inconvenience?

Talking about the small percentage of the people who are obviously not caring.

People have needs. Absolutely. And 90%-99% are with the program.

But the ones who are flouting rules because the rules are inconvenient, are also the one who usually don’t give two s**ts about anything else.

Those are the ones to be called out just like people would call out a man beating his wife in public or a kid getting bullied. 

Their rights stop where others’ start.

And if the rule is 1 person at a time, perhaps there ought to be exceptions with papers that do say that assistance is a need; like a right to park in a handicap zone.

Edited by Me_
6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Talking about the small

percentage of the people who are obviously not caring.

People have needs. Absolutely. And 90%-99% are with the program.

But the ones who are flouting rules because they are inconvenient, are also the one who usually don’t give two ... about anything else.

Thise are the ones to be called out just like people would call out a man beating his wife in public or a kid getting bullied. 

Their rights stop where others’ start.

And if the rule is 1 person at a time, perhaps there ought to be exceptions with papers that do say that assistance is a need; like a right to park in a handicap zone.

But you also called me out earlier in this thread, so am I part of the smart ones or the ignorant ones? If you think the latter, please explain how so.

Also, show me where this rule is of one person, please. 

Edit: And ftr, since it appears to not be obvious to you or others, I'm not advocating for people not practicing proper social distancing. 

Edited by Jester13
Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Been a long time since I had frozen pizza but I SEEM to recall it tasting like toilet paper.:lol:

I have two in the freezer for a rainy lazy day but not a go to in my house for sure :lol:

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

But you also called me out earlier in this thread, so am I part of the smart ones or the ignorant ones? If you think the latter, please explain how so.

Also, show me where this rule is of one person, please. 

Edit: And ftr, since it appears to not be obvious to you or others, I'm not advocating for people not practicing proper social distancing. 

I know you are. We’re just miscommunicating.

There you go: page 582 of this thread:

On 4/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, Me_ said:

Families being urged to only have one member shop, if at all possible, to prevent spread of coronavirus.

The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the way we do our shopping. Grocers and other retailers have made all kinds of operational changes to prevent the further spread of the virus. But now consumers are being urged to think twice before heading out to the store. In particular if you plan on venturing out with family members. Klaudia Van Emmerik explains.”

Okanagan families urged to only send one person shopping during COVID-19 pandemic

How to shop for groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic

As Okanagan retailers implement numerous measures to keep both store employees and customers safe amid the pandemic, shoppers are being asked to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

In particular, families are being asked not to shop together, if at all possible, and instead only have one person do the shopping.“

How to shop for groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic

”Before you go to the store 

• Consider whether you really need to go shopping: Americans are being told to stay home as much as possible, and that means limiting trips to the grocery store. So if you only need a few items, try to get by with what you have and plan a big shopping trip for later. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises people to buy enough food for a week or two at a time. 
  • Delivery may be an option instead: Getting groceries delivered helps reduce the number of people going into stores and touching things, and helps people follow social distancing rules, according to North Carolina State University's (NC State's) food safety sheet for COVID-19. It also helps reduce the spread of COVID-19 from people who are infected but don't show symptoms. 
  • If you can't get delivery, try shopping at off-peak hours and buying as many items as you can from one store (rather than visiting multiple stores), NC State says. 
  • Don't bring the whole family: It's best to shop alone, NC State says. This helps reduce the number of people going to stores. If possible, leave your children at home to limit your family's exposure, according to The University of Maryland Medical System
  • Don't go if you have symptoms: It's very important not to go shopping if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 (such as fever, cough or shortness of breath), or if you think you have been exposed to the virus. In these cases, you should leave your home only to seek medical care, according to the CDC. If you need supplies, ask a friend or someone else to get them and leave them outside your home. 

At the store 

• Sanitize your hands often: Use hand sanitizer before entering the store and after leaving, NC State says. You should also consider using hand sanitizer before and after selecting produce items. 
  • If your store isn't providing disinfecting wipes, bring your own wipes to use on carts, basket handles and card readers, according to NC State. 
  • Wear a mask: The CDC now recommends that people wear cloth face coverings when they go out, including when they go to the grocery store. This recommendation is intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from people who are infected but don't realize it because they aren't showing symptoms. 
  • Practice social distancing: As with any public setting, you should maintain a distance of at least 6 feet (1.8 meters) from others. 
  • Touch only what you buy: Try not to touch things unnecessarily, NC State says. That means don't pick up multiple produce items to try to find the ripest one, for example.
  • Gloves aren't necessary: Wearing gloves to the store isn't necessary because the gloves become contaminated the same way your hands do, according to The Washington Post. Washing or sanitizing your hands before and after entering the store is what's important. But if you choose to wear gloves, use disposable ones and discard them before you get into your car, if you're driving, or as soon as you get home if you're on foot or taking public transportation, according to The Wall Street Journal.  
  • Don't touch your face: Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, according to the CDC.“

Social distancing tips: the rules of safe shopping under coronavirus

“Shop alone, not in groups

Clearly there will be exceptions: for example, single parents with small children who cannot be left at home, but where possible you should try to shop alone. That will reduce the number of people inside stores, making physical distancing easier to achieve. It also reduces the number of people in your household exposed to the outdoors. Remember: studies show that, on average, people can have coronavirus for five days before they develop any symptoms, and all that time they can be unwittingly spreading it.”

Shop alone if you can. The government of Quebec says children can accompany parents into stores if needed. But as much as possible, they should stay at home.”

3. Shop alone

Fewer people in the store means easier physical distancing and fewer people potentially exposed to the virus. It’s simple math.”

Edited by Me_
7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Been a long time since I had frozen pizza but I SEEM to recall it tasting like toilet paper.:lol:

Indeed! That’s why I’ve been training on nothing but toilet paper for weeks. So when I actually eat my frozen pizza... I can actually believe myself when I say “mmmnummers” 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I know you are. We’re just miscommunicating.

There you go: page 582 of this thread:

I had a feeling you'd only find the Okanagan article for BC (remember, we're not the US, or Ontario where they're fining people, or Quebec, BC is a different situation). The article is a recommendation, i.e. if it's possible, and it also asks readers to keep in mind the following when thinking about calling people out: “That’s part of the reason to be kind and considerate of others,” he said. “The circumstances of others are not our circumstances.” 

The problem I have with calling people out is that we could probably find hypocrisy in every single person and say, "It's better if you did this, or that, or that." For example, don't buy frozen pizza, make your own because it's healthier for you and will last longer; or, don't go to the grocery store once a week because the incubation period is two weeks, so the more you go the more you endanger yourself and others, so instead go every two weeks or more; or, don't go to Costco to only buy a pair of shoes, instead put your foot up and ice it and then go get shoes when it's time to stock up on groceries, etc. etc.

Everyone can be better, but the vigilantism will only creat animosity and distrust in our communities and could very well have the opposite effect of what the calling out was trying to achieve in the first place. 

• Hydration 2
  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic