The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

But you also called me out earlier in this thread, so am I part of the smart ones or the ignorant ones? If you think the latter, please explain how so.

Also, show me where this rule is of one person, please. 

Edit: And ftr, since it appears to not be obvious to you or others, I'm not advocating for people not practicing proper social distancing. 

I know you are. We’re just miscommunicating.

There you go: page 582 of this thread:

On 4/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, Me_ said:

Families being urged to only have one member shop, if at all possible, to prevent spread of coronavirus.

The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the way we do our shopping. Grocers and other retailers have made all kinds of operational changes to prevent the further spread of the virus. But now consumers are being urged to think twice before heading out to the store. In particular if you plan on venturing out with family members. Klaudia Van Emmerik explains.”

Okanagan families urged to only send one person shopping during COVID-19 pandemic

How to shop for groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic

As Okanagan retailers implement numerous measures to keep both store employees and customers safe amid the pandemic, shoppers are being asked to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

In particular, families are being asked not to shop together, if at all possible, and instead only have one person do the shopping.“

How to shop for groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic

”Before you go to the store 

• Consider whether you really need to go shopping: Americans are being told to stay home as much as possible, and that means limiting trips to the grocery store. So if you only need a few items, try to get by with what you have and plan a big shopping trip for later. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises people to buy enough food for a week or two at a time. 
  • Delivery may be an option instead: Getting groceries delivered helps reduce the number of people going into stores and touching things, and helps people follow social distancing rules, according to North Carolina State University's (NC State's) food safety sheet for COVID-19. It also helps reduce the spread of COVID-19 from people who are infected but don't show symptoms. 
  • If you can't get delivery, try shopping at off-peak hours and buying as many items as you can from one store (rather than visiting multiple stores), NC State says. 
  • Don't bring the whole family: It's best to shop alone, NC State says. This helps reduce the number of people going to stores. If possible, leave your children at home to limit your family's exposure, according to The University of Maryland Medical System
  • Don't go if you have symptoms: It's very important not to go shopping if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 (such as fever, cough or shortness of breath), or if you think you have been exposed to the virus. In these cases, you should leave your home only to seek medical care, according to the CDC. If you need supplies, ask a friend or someone else to get them and leave them outside your home. 

At the store 

• Sanitize your hands often: Use hand sanitizer before entering the store and after leaving, NC State says. You should also consider using hand sanitizer before and after selecting produce items. 
  • If your store isn't providing disinfecting wipes, bring your own wipes to use on carts, basket handles and card readers, according to NC State. 
  • Wear a mask: The CDC now recommends that people wear cloth face coverings when they go out, including when they go to the grocery store. This recommendation is intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from people who are infected but don't realize it because they aren't showing symptoms. 
  • Practice social distancing: As with any public setting, you should maintain a distance of at least 6 feet (1.8 meters) from others. 
  • Touch only what you buy: Try not to touch things unnecessarily, NC State says. That means don't pick up multiple produce items to try to find the ripest one, for example.
  • Gloves aren't necessary: Wearing gloves to the store isn't necessary because the gloves become contaminated the same way your hands do, according to The Washington Post. Washing or sanitizing your hands before and after entering the store is what's important. But if you choose to wear gloves, use disposable ones and discard them before you get into your car, if you're driving, or as soon as you get home if you're on foot or taking public transportation, according to The Wall Street Journal.  
  • Don't touch your face: Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, according to the CDC.“

Social distancing tips: the rules of safe shopping under coronavirus

“Shop alone, not in groups

Clearly there will be exceptions: for example, single parents with small children who cannot be left at home, but where possible you should try to shop alone. That will reduce the number of people inside stores, making physical distancing easier to achieve. It also reduces the number of people in your household exposed to the outdoors. Remember: studies show that, on average, people can have coronavirus for five days before they develop any symptoms, and all that time they can be unwittingly spreading it.”

Shop alone if you can. The government of Quebec says children can accompany parents into stores if needed. But as much as possible, they should stay at home.”

3. Shop alone

Fewer people in the store means easier physical distancing and fewer people potentially exposed to the virus. It’s simple math.”

Edited by Me_
7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Been a long time since I had frozen pizza but I SEEM to recall it tasting like toilet paper.:lol:

Indeed! That’s why I’ve been training on nothing but toilet paper for weeks. So when I actually eat my frozen pizza... I can actually believe myself when I say “mmmnummers” 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I know you are. We’re just miscommunicating.

There you go: page 582 of this thread:

I had a feeling you'd only find the Okanagan article for BC (remember, we're not the US, or Ontario where they're fining people, or Quebec, BC is a different situation). The article is a recommendation, i.e. if it's possible, and it also asks readers to keep in mind the following when thinking about calling people out: “That’s part of the reason to be kind and considerate of others,” he said. “The circumstances of others are not our circumstances.” 

The problem I have with calling people out is that we could probably find hypocrisy in every single person and say, "It's better if you did this, or that, or that." For example, don't buy frozen pizza, make your own because it's healthier for you and will last longer; or, don't go to the grocery store once a week because the incubation period is two weeks, so the more you go the more you endanger yourself and others, so instead go every two weeks or more; or, don't go to Costco to only buy a pair of shoes, instead put your foot up and ice it and then go get shoes when it's time to stock up on groceries, etc. etc.

Everyone can be better, but the vigilantism will only creat animosity and distrust in our communities and could very well have the opposite effect of what the calling out was trying to achieve in the first place. 

• Hydration 2

Don’t know if already posted, but anyone who’s lost their income due to COVID-19 can apply to BC Hydro to have the next three months of bills waived and IIRC can defer another three months. Just need to go onto your account and apply. Need to show proof, like CERB deposit on bank statement, etc.

https://app.bchydro.com/accounts-billing/bill-payment/ways-to-pay/covid-19-relief-fund.html

EDIT: It’s actually a credit based on your average bill. Three months worth of hydro gets credited to your account.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Hydration 2
38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Been a long time since I had frozen pizza but I SEEM to recall it tasting like toilet paper.:lol:

Frozen pizzas have improved tremendously, days of eating tombstone and red Barron are long gone.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
6 hours ago, RonMexico said:

They should do more testing though. More positive cases identified actually has a positive affect on the mortality rate which is important in determining steps to the re-mobilization of services. But maybe they're happy to leave it as is.

All you need to do is look at Dr Henry;s credentials to see this woman knows what she is doing - she might just be the most qualified CMOH in all the provinces and I trust her judgement. Each province has a different approach to how they are testing and each has it merits but from what i have seen we are slowly - remember the goal is to not overwhelm our health facilities and so far so good

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I had a feeling you'd only find the Okanagan article for BC (remember, we're not the US, or Ontario where they're fining people, or Quebec, BC is a different situation). The article is a recommendation, i.e. if it's possible, and it also asks readers to keep in mind the following when thinking about calling people out: “That’s part of the reason to be kind and considerate of others,” he said. “The circumstances of others are not our circumstances.” 

The problem I have with calling people out is that we could probably find hypocrisy in every single person and say, "It's better if you did this, or that, or that." For example, don't buy frozen pizza, make your own because it's healthier for you and will last longer; or, don't go to the grocery store once a week because the incubation period is two weeks, so the more you go the more you endanger yourself and others, so instead go every two weeks or more; or, don't go to Costco to only buy a pair of shoes, instead put your foot up and ice it and then go get shoes when it's time to stock up on groceries, etc. etc.

Everyone can be better, but the vigilantism will only creat animosity and distrust in our communities and could very well have the opposite effect of what the calling out was trying to achieve in the first place. 

I think the approach in BC has been to establish the rules and recommendations but not to be too heavy handed in enforcement.  Maybe they've got more buy in because of this.  

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This confession implies that you know what toilet paper tastes like.  Nuff said :wacko:

Better than the flip side of that and knowing what wiping your butt with frozen pizza feels like.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sedinery 1
10 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think the approach in BC has been to establish the rules and recommendations but not to be too heavy handed in enforcement.  Maybe they've got more buy in because of this.  

Perhaps you’re right.

In the East, it’s intense. The New York border is a couple of hours away from Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec. 

Ontario and Quebec are shut down with quite the fines. 

Many people don’t mind telling people that they’re not abiding. 

It may sound alarmist to the West Coast but here it’s daily life.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Apparently Texas is opening up next week.

I have a sis in law in San Antonio and they are buckling down.  Their infection rate is increasing rapidly.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Delivery is important for sure, whether from our governments or from each other. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I don't really have a strong opinion but its a recommendation that makes some sense to me. The grocery store is the one place that no one can avoid. That also makes it the one place where we are most likely to get infected. I no longer venture into the cookies/candy aisle at my local store. Because it is generally crowded and I have always seen way too many idiots dialing home to ask which brand of chocolate to buy. The store unfortunately isn't built to facilitate social distancing. A few too many people (along with their carts) suddenly enter an aisle and it makes it an adventure trying to get out, especially seeing the anxiety that people get when you are trying to navigate your way through. I haven't gotten my hands on a mask, which I imagine might make me look like a risk to people. The panic is real and you are unfortunately going to meet some anxious people who are likely going to be looking at you judgmentally. I have never been this hyper conscious of what I am doing in my life probably since high school, just my mere presence can cause anxiety in others. It was the other way around in high school. :blush:

Its unfortunate but we will all have to change how we have done things in the past. We have no choice but to adapt with the times. There is no real benefit trying to desperately cling to past habits and behaviours. But really its just about being smart, whether you are shopping alone or with someone. I liked Jimmy's idea of dividing up the list, its more efficient, and it also avoids situations where couples enter crowded areas of stores together, which is probably the only real complaint that I have.  

Edited by Toews
  • Hydration 1

They really need to let Dr Birx do their press conferences and keep that lunatic out of the public eye for while.  When I listen to her interviews, she's smart, she listens to and answers questions thoughtfully and I actually get a sense they have a plan.

What's going to mess the whole plan up is the lunatic whipping up a frenzy amongst his crazy followers.  For any opening to work, they have to have full buy in by citizens and I don't see his cult members willingly tested on a reg basis etc.

Edited by stawns
  • Hydration 4
56 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

This is a key point in how our leadership has been responding to the pandemic and I agree completely coho, it is why in my view we've had more buy-in because of it - you just need to look to the south of us to see the backlash starting to escalate.  There are a few pockets in a couple states right now (Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, ect....) that have held public pro-trump rallies that are against any rules/measures but who are we kidding - this will continue to escalate as long as their rules/measures stay in place.  These people are looking at it from the point of view that not following the social distancing/established measures is actually exercising their 'liberty' - not saving their loved ones lives.  I wouldn't even know where to begin a discussion with someone who held that point of view......but I'm sure some of you would know where to begin:). 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-trump-supporters-coronavirus-1.5535585

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

and there is an underlying sense as well

from the people who preach too hard

that they believe that there is a need to completely stop the virus spread

but that is not possible and was not the plan

the idea was and is to flatten the curve

so some details of behavioural standards

can vary from place to place depending how flat their curve is

• Hydration 2
3 hours ago, stawns said:

They really need to let Dr Birx do their press conferences and keep that lunatic out of the public eye for while.  When I listen to her interviews, she's smart, she listens to and answers questions thoughtfully and I actually get a sense they have a plan.

What's going to mess the whole plan up is the lunatic whipping up a frenzy amongst his crazy followers.  For any opening to work, they have to have full buy in by citizens and I don't see his cult members willingly tested on a reg basis etc.

Why don't they quarantine major cities like Vancouver?

It seems to me they should because the small provinces haven't been hit so bad. They lack major thoroughfare. Also stop it from building a stronger form like in Netherlands. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic