The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just announced.  Canada and the US have extended the border closure by 30 days.

America said we'll open the border.  Canada said nope.  The border stays closed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-saturday-covid-19-update-1.5537251?fbclid=IwAR1QUtVXDD2Yb_bL7dhI6yVBhoJ7h0BoBQBPRNXzTXu3waxV79vC_sK8irk

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/i-dont-want-them-in-ontario-ford-says-of-americans-until-pandemic-under-control

Doug Ford again is right (don't think I'd live long enough to say that again & again :lol:)

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/i-dont-want-them-in-ontario-ford-says-of-americans-until-pandemic-under-control

Doug Ford again is right (don't think I'd live long enough to say that again & again :lol:)

It's too bad Kenney couldn't stay on board and keep his bloody mouth shut, but like Trump he only panders to his ignorant base.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Him and his American buddy Scheer.

Yup........they got on board briefly until the Christian conservative right started making noise down south and they knew their far right base would follow suit.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

America said we'll open the border.  Canada said nope.  The border stays closed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-saturday-covid-19-update-1.5537251?fbclid=IwAR1QUtVXDD2Yb_bL7dhI6yVBhoJ7h0BoBQBPRNXzTXu3waxV79vC_sK8irk

30 days doesn't seem long enough for me! :shock:

spacer.png

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

we might see some auto plants and those workers coming back early, but thats hardly a wide spread reopening of things. Not sure who's going to be buying the cars this year tho... 

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

30 days doesn't seem long enough for me! :shock:

spacer.png

I guess the upside of this, if there can be an upside, is under the Trump era we can see just how far we have left to go in north america to get rid of racism. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, gurn said:

Well turns out my friend wasn't the first guy to think of this

Link in the spoiler, to a vaporizer company that is suggesting the same idea. However they seem to want the doctors/researchers to get a hold of them

Hide contents

'Tastes like a I'm in the future man.' - Some dude in the past:shock:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It's too bad Kenney couldn't stay on board and keep his bloody mouth shut, but like Trump he only panders to his ignorant base.

Kenney was too busy wasting tax payers money congratulating himself and showing people how generous he is for donating excess medical supplies.  $14k to tell people we gave you things so please like us

image.thumb.png.f371009cfa159268e287e80ace400185.png

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

It would do more bad things to the body than good.  Just like ingesting isopropyl alcohol can cause bleeding in the digesting tract because it is killing cells along the way, so would inhaling aerosolized alcohol kill important lung cells.  The ethanol does the same thing, just not as severely because it is way more dilute and I'd imagine it is harmful to things like the liver because that is where the alcohol becomes more concentrated in the body with lots of drinking over time.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Well turns out my friend wasn't the first guy to think of this

Link in the spoiler, to a vaporizer company that is suggesting the same idea. However they seem to want the doctors/researchers to get a hold of them

Reveal hidden contents

The damage it would do to your lung capillaries and alveoli would absolutely be detrimental to your health and make it much worse. Even steroidal asthma inhalers can decrease a person's immune system and can be worse for people for preventing and fighting infection. 

• Thanks 1

This makes sense...I always go way out of my way to avoid bikers/runners.  But my issue is I tended to let them pass, then fell in line behind them.  Will rethink that...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6813711/coronavirus-vancouver-seawall-runners/?utm_source=%40globalbc&utm_medium=Twitter

A recent paper from Belgian and Dutch researchers emphasizes that the “social distance” rule of two metres, or six feet, applies to people who are standing still — and does not take into account the potential aerodynamic effects introduced by walking fast, running or cycling.

Bert Blocken, a civil engineer and professor at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands, is the corresponding author of the preprint that used computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations to track the slipstream, or cloud of particles, behind walkers, runners and cyclists.

The results — which have not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal — indicate a person is most exposed to droplets from walking and running when they are in line with the person in front of them and situated in their slipstream.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My grocery run yesterday: On the drive there I saw a group of young kids being kids, no social distance; two women on a walk, no distance; main street full of cars; hardware store with security limiting entry and yes the lot was pretty full; Extra Foods: lot about half full but people visiting on the lot, no limit to entry, no sanitizer except at checkout, people generally maintaining distance, some employees with gloves but most without. 

Many people do not seem to be able to function in isolation. A large number of people have completing the necessaries of life like shopping as their social life. Especially older folks. Surprising number of people don't have the capacity to understand their risks. I am in a rural community and many people will not take the virus seriously unless it impacts them directly. 

Regardless of your 'anecdotal' sightings, this province is doing extremely well social distancing to flatten the curve. 

98% of people dying are 80 and older so obviously those folk need to stay home. We are doing well.

Panic is unnecessary but we need to continue what we are doing. Our professionals making the decisions are doing extremely well.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wloutet said:

With Trump now saying, "It's up to the states to decide how and when they bring things back to normal", I have two thoughts. Didn't he just say a day or two ago that he would make the decision? And, I think he might be setting the states become a scapegoat for when it doesn't succeed. If it blows up in, let's say, Florida, then he can say, "Well the Governor there really made a huge mistake, it wasn't me!".

Well for starters, Trump never had the authority to say he would open things up. He quickly was told by his handlers that the day after his big stupid mouth started ranting again.

The individual state governors always were the ones that had the authority to open up their states when they saw fit.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

I wouldn't know, but I do wonder if maybe it would work. If so how and to who, do you pass the idea to?

I'm pretty sure epidemiologists and scientists know much more than your friend about how to come up with a vaccine or an appropriate treatment. 

There are literally thousands of medical scientists in countries all over the world working on treatments for covid so I really don't think your buddies idea of inhaling alcohol needs to be forwarded to them lmao.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I was talking to a friend last night and he had a thought regarding a potential treatment:

If alcohol kills the COVID, why not try inhaling alcohol through a vaporizer. Might keep the lungs clearer, help kill the virus.

I though about it, and on the surface it seems logical. But how and where do you get a hold of somebody that would actually know if it has a chance or not?

Please don’t give those spring breakers any more bad ideas. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It might come to the point where the elderly are confined to their homes (for their protection) while the rest of the population resumes work and restart the economy. 

There is no way that Government can afford to have people stay at home until a vaccine is found (possibly up to a year).

• Like 1