The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I was in Sarajevo in summer '18. Was like nowhere I've ever been before. Really enjoyed it. Miss the coffee, Cevapi, and rakia.

Just like a virus; this White House is hurting everything they possibly can.

Washington fiddles in the Balkans while COVID flames engulf the world

Since Obama and Canada creates a Democracy in Kosovo, they must destroy it with the aid of Serbia.

This one is easy to trace: Putin tells Trump “they’re Albanian Muslims” and there you go.

Because why not...

Edited by Me_

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You only have to control 70 or so people in a huge are

It would be close to a couple of hundred people.

About 35 per team between players, coaches, trainers and dressing room staff.

Rink repair guys for when the glass breaks, lights mess up etc.  15 people?

Announcer's booth 2-3 people

time keepers   

goal judges              

TV  camera guys

tv announcers

Guys in the production/direction van

Before you know it, you are talking about a lot of people.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Why would we even think of opening schools before September. The school year is basically done by mid May. 
I see that to be just as dumb as the NHL trying to finish the season and playoffs. Shut it down and maybe we can start again in the fall. 

Schools won't reopen before September.  My kids school are already planning days that students (one at a time) can visit to pick up their belongings. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't think schools and the NHL returning are in any way similar.

The NHL could return and play games in empty arenas. You only have to control 70 or so people in a huge area to prevent spreads. You can ensure everyone is tested everytime before they enter the arena.

Schools are a whole different story and I agree with you that they should just wait until the fall return.

I’m thinking we won’t see hockey until at least the start of next training camp.

I agree, opening schools would be THE. worst action they could take.

Asking kids to physically stay away from each other is like asking a dog to cook a five course meal.

Edited by Me_

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

It would be close to a couple of hundred people.

About 35 per team between players, coaches, trainers and dressing room staff.

Rink repair guys for when the glass breaks, lights mess up etc.  15 people?

Announcer's booth 2-3 people

time keepers   

goal judges              

TV  camera guys

tv announcers

Guys in the production/direction van

Before you know it, you are talking about a lot of people.

Even if you are correct and it is 200 people, that is still NOTHING in an arena built for 20,000 spectators and a couple thousand more employees.

It would be pretty easy and safe to resume the NHL with no spectators in the arena imo. We shall see what the professionals say soon enough.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I was in Sarajevo in summer '18. Was like nowhere I've ever been before. Really enjoyed it. Miss the coffee, Cevapi, and rakia.

When we first moved to the U.S, we couldn’t stand filter coffee, we all used to smoke.

As we all slowly starting to go nicotine free, Turkish coffee became too strong.

There is one guy in Chicago that makes cevapi, tastes the same and his bread(somun) is just as good.

He used to own meat market in Bosnia before moving to the U.S.

Rakija is even more popular in Serbia And Croatia, so my pantry is full of it, I don’t drink though.
City has changed a lot since the war but visiting always takes me back.

Have you been anywhere else in that area?

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Even if you are correct and it is 200 people, that is still NOTHING in an arena built for 20,000

If the stands are empty they don't count as the work area.

approx. 200 people at ice level; be they on the ice, benches, or just running the actual game. Then include the tv operation crew and dressing room staff.

Starts getting more crowded.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

Schools won't reopen before September.  My kids school are already planning days that students (one at a time) can visit to pick up their belongings. 

All schools in Illinois are closed until September.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

If the stands are empty they don't count as the work area.

approx. 200 people at ice level; be they on the ice, benches, or just running the actual game. Then include the tv operation crew and dressing room staff.

Starts getting more crowded.

Probably around a 1,000 to operate the essentials of a stadium game broadcast and turnaround, including hotels and air travel.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

^That's Alberta.

Hasn't BC already taken measures to make grocery stores safer, such as limiting the number of customers, the directional arrows, hand sanitizer at entrance, and plastic shields at the tills?

You seem to think that BC has a roof on it with a locked door...

The world is telling a story.
We should all be listening. 

42 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The NHL could return and play games in empty arenas. You only have to control 70 or so people in a huge area to prevent spreads. You can ensure everyone is tested everytime before they enter the arena.

Schools are a whole different story and I agree with you that they should just wait until the fall return.

NHL TV deal isn’t like the NFL or NBA deals.  You only get so much from PPV deals.  NHL relies on gate revenue ALOT.

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

Why would we even think of opening schools before September. The school year is basically done by mid May. 
I see that to be just as dumb as the NHL trying to finish the season and playoffs. Shut it down and maybe we can start again in the fall. 

Its not about educating kids.... its about free daycare for workers going back to work.  Trying to salvage our economy. 

That is how  much BCers actually care about children's education.....

41 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Is it worth it if the public and health care workers who are sick still don't have access to tests? I would love hockey back as well but i would like to do it when we have an excess of kits. It feels wrong to use our limited resources not to combat the spread of the virus but on getting our entertainment back. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You seem to think that BC has a roof on it with a locked door...

The world is telling a story.
We should all be listening. 

You seem to assume myself and those in charge in BC aren't aware of what's going outside of the province, or within. 

Something I learned a long time ago is that when people "should" all over others it's usually a sign they are the ones that might want to look in the mirror.  Ever heard the saying that when you point the finger at someone there's always three fingers pointing back at yourself?

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

^That's Alberta.

Hasn't BC already taken measures to make grocery stores safer, such as limiting the number of customers, the directional arrows, hand sanitizer at entrance, and plastic shields at the tills?

They've limited customers, but once inside, it's a free for all. There's enough people that don't practice social distancing (whether people jump in to get what they want, but that's also reflected on people that stand in aisles taking forever rather than just grabbing what they need and going) that it defeats the purpose.

There are directional lines, but no one is enforcing it and last time I went to a store with the lines, there were too many idiots ignoring them. I also heard a store had blocked an aisle exit so it forced people to go back against traffic anyway.

There are too many people that think because they have a mask, gloves and whatever that they are invincible and make many completely baffling decisions.

People really shouldn't be shopping for a couple of items at a time and stock up better. I understand some people don't have a lot of space, but generally they should be able to get by shopping once a week and they still have take out food options plus other stores for other essential needs. There really shouldn't be a need to have more than one adult per household getting the shopping done (certainly there are exceptions, but for the large majority, this shouldn't be a problem).

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You seem to assume myself and those in charge in BC aren't aware of what's going outside of the province, or within. 

Something I learned a long time ago is that when people "should" all over others it's usually a sign they are the ones that might want to look in the mirror.  Ever heard the saying that when you point the finger at someone there's always three fingers pointing back at yourself?

Just to be clear, by saying it’s “over there” (Okanagan, Calgary, Ontario, Quebec, USA), you are saying you’re against the 1 person per family once a week rule to social distancing?

You’re talking as if B.C. is the golden exception. 

Your defence is I should look within and correct my character?

I’m pretty sure 90% of the people frequenting this site, as well as any of the groceries around you are practicing the 1 person per family once a week rule. 

Attempt to gaslight all you want.

Edited by Me_