The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

A lot of people say that we can't trust the Chinese numbers. Well, I'm not convinced we can trust the numbers from the USA either. The graph below appears to be 'capped'. Maybe it is daily test capacity, but i also think that under reporting would ease the angst around the economy, in the eyes of the american administration.

image.png.610f6ba996baf70e5981b6e69c804f2c.png

This link has the us with 33,677 new cases as of 11:36 pm local

https://www.bing.com/search?q=new+covid+cases+april+18+usa&form=EDGSPH&mkt=en-ca&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=db467b6815134ce1874feaf09b0fb3de&sp=-1&pq=new+covid+cases+april+18+usa&sc=0-28&qs=n&sk=&cvid=db467b6815134ce1874feaf09b0fb3de

59 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

These idiots can't get past one month of social distancing and they're going to be dragging this all out for months longer for the majority of us who are trying our best to do our part.

And... well... isn’t that the point.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:49 AM, CBH1926 said:

With Chinese numbers I generally use multiplier of 10.

They just increased the death toll by 50% in a single day, but my guess is that that is not even remotely close. I think that it is important to specify that this is not ‘Chinese’, this is on the head of the CCP and its leaders. The greatest fear of that party is that its own people find out the communist party’s culpability. It reminds of Chernobyl, does it not. Viewing that series is most revealing of the psychology is the disease that is communism - the society that cannot allow freedom of speech, nor even of thought.

• Cheers 2

God’s sake.

As per NYC Governor Andrew Cuomo, 11 times Trump said to him in a phone call that he didn’t want to get into testing because it’s too hard.

Trump also said it in his presser today.

He’s going for herd immunity folks. 

He’s gonna pressure the population to “liberate” themselves from the nasty Democrats and the “never-Trumpist” Republicans. 

Using the office to gain a second term is the least of the crimes he has and is committing.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You're wrong on all accounts. Inhaling alcohol or any other kind of non prescribed medicine is harmful, and my point was that even a prescribed one such as asthma inhalers can be detrimental in ways. You taking what I said to assume that I don't know the benefits of it is just unnecessary, as that had nothing to do with anything I was saying. You added that assumption.

1) I'm not relishing anything. It is a recommendation, that is just a pure fact. What I relish is people doing their best to follow recommendations as best as possible, and I also relish that there are many situations where safety can still be the utmost importance and followed, even if recommendations are not 100% taken. 

2) I champion couples to make their decisions that they believe is right, all while advocating for people to do the right thing. But I'm definitely not advocating any crowding of aisles, and I don't understand why you would think otherwise. 

3) Not my positions.

4) you want grocery laws because of how other provinces are calling for it, as their covid situations aren't going as well as BC? 

https://www.vicnews.com/sports/all-golf-courses-in-the-province-should-be-closed-to-prevent-virus-spreading-british-columbia-golf-says/ 

Please read the a I've article. This is why I posted earlier that every single one of us can be better. Golf courses are shut down in Alberta. BC Golf Association is requesting all golf courses shut down, yet you went golfing in Duncan. Your hands are not clean. And don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you for going. You took the correct precautions and that's great, and I applaud you for it, but it is still an example of hypocrisy, which we are all guilty of if we dig a little deeper. And my point with saying the article is from Alberta is to say that their situation is different than BC, just like the golf courses. I'm not an advocate for callouts or witch hunts. I'm an advocate for trust in our community members and our provincial government. 

Since you haven't been able to pick up on my stances at all and instead think I'm pro aggressor and don't respect people with fears, allow me to clearly state that I'm fully aware there are many fearful and panicked people right now, and I fully respect that. 

Where I think we differ is in delivery towards others who don't follow the recommendations, as well as that I don't believe panic and fear trumps calm and sensibility. The respect goes both ways.

5) I wasn't criticizing your decision to go and buy shoes. I respect that you made that decision to go and that you practiced SD as best as possible. I used that as an example to show that we all have our own unique circumstances and that we should all respect each other for making our adult decisions and trust that we're making the right choices, rather than putting judgement onto others that they're in the wrong and we're not. 

I'll use us both as an example: You did have the option of getting your shoes when you also buy groceries, as it saves a trip and limits the amount of times you go to Costco, which is a recommendation. There are other options, but you chose what you chose. I'm ok with your choice and do not think you should've done one over the other, as long as proper SD is done then I'm all for it. I respect your decision. For me, I get groceries with my wife, even though the recommendation is to try not to do that. But we go together because we live downtown, do not own a vehicle, and we buy enough for three weeks so that we don't have to go as often, which is a good thing. We also are highly conscious of SD practice and others around us, just like you. I could go alone and make multiple trips, but we've decided we're safer in a variety of ways when we go together. 

This is in no way advocating for crowded aisles or any of the assumptions you've put onto my posts. Emotions are running high, I get that, which is why I prefer calm and sensibility during a time of crisis. 

I gave you a beer on this post..it was very well articulated.....by the way, I like our hockey posts

This all started earlier when, a poster wrote that he had mention to a couple that they should only have one in shopping and another poster said that he should just have minded his own business...…...I am pretty sure you agreed with the guy minding his own buisness

I worked as a Patrol boat captain for the Port ...….I did shore line enforcement as part of my duties, so I am more black and white on those types of things. My general feeling is if people use common sense and common courtesies, most problems would not occur.

So, for people that want to go into stores together, it is not that I am totally against it, but rather that if it is a busy store, one should figure out that they do not need to be in the store and can wait outside. To me, if it is 10 minutes before closing time and a couple enter an empty store, well then who cares. No harm, no foul.

But, as I think of you as an intelligent person (and I do), I think you should be able to grasp that it is better to stay outside and wait. These are strange times, and there are just so many people that are on the edge. Mental health is being tested, and again I think you know that. So I expect that those that have a strong constitution and awareness, be able to again, figure out that it is better not to go inside if busy.

I eventually found one of the last pair of running shoes in town in Walmart and what I notice was a family of kids, sitting in a car with their Dad, He was aware that it would not be a good thing to load them into the store. The wife went in alone. I applaud that.

Now, a related story is my tenant downstairs, is a very nice, awkward and timid man. He gets flustered in crowded places, and you will find that when these times present themselves, he will simply not go in, because it stresses him. Now, he does not have a car either, and he has no one else to go in for him, so he waits, sometimes for several hours to find a time that is less busy, and when he has settled down. This man is gold! and he never complains, but I see how it affects his life…..it is hard not to emphasize with him.

So, I have pretty strong feelings on the subject. As an past enforcement officer, I hate bullies, and hate people that push their rights, at the expense of others. When common courtesy would do wonders and resolve many issues.

I recognise I am not the law on here, and I don't want to be. And I like you as a poster. But I will call an ace and ace and a spade a spade when I see it. 

PS..I was a very sickly, scrawny kid, and was bullied a lot until I started boxing, and putting on weight. I hate bullies, and inconsiderate people, who do mean things just because they think they have the right to. It is probably why I got into the field I did. I fight for the underdog in my life today, and if raining or not busy will stop to let a pedestrian walk across the road, no because I had to, but because I am sitting in a nice heated car, and every second they wait, they get wetter. I think my mom and dad raise me proper, and taught me we. Not that I am anywhere close to perfect.

I am basically finished with this convo. I don't expect you  to change your mind, but I am absolutely not changing mine.

Peace and stay heathy

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

A lot of people say that we can't trust the Chinese numbers. Well, I'm not convinced we can trust the numbers from the USA either. The graph below appears to be 'capped'. Maybe it is daily test capacity, but i also think that under reporting would ease the angst around the economy, in the eyes of the american administration.

image.png.610f6ba996baf70e5981b6e69c804f2c.png

Stop with the CCP propaganda already. The most affected states with the worst Wuhan virus problem have no incentive to minimize numbers, most of which are Democrat and have three huge reasons to maximize numbers - more money from the federal government, more resources from the federal government, and it would embarrass a Trump, the primary wet dream of all Democrats.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They just increased the death toll by 50% in a single day, but my guess is that that is not even remotely close. I think that it is important to specify that this is not ‘Chinese’, this is on the head of the CCP and its leaders. The greatest fear of that party is that its own people find out the communist party’s culpability. It reminds of Chernobyl, does it not. Viewing that series is most revealing of the psychology is the disease that is communism - the society that cannot allow freedom of speech, nor even of thought.

What this tells me is, they stopped counting a long time ago, and it started much before the first case was diagnosed as such.

The best way to describe how a pandemic works; its like locusts that come out every 13 years. This prime number has assured that all locust species have food when it’s their time and they don’t go extinct.

The same principle is there for a pandemic. It is asymptomatic for a long time while it spreads. Then we start to understand the anomaly. Months later.

There is an estimated 80,000 people infected in Wuhan before the first case became a first case. That number is probably up around 800,000. All travelling, all asymptomatic, all naturally covert.

I think China is in the same boat as everyone else looking back going, that the he’ll just happened...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Me_ said:

Sending your kids to daycare may be a choice between life and death for some time as the spread of germs is most rampant in such places. This virus would stick to kids like bur.

Kids become asymptomatic carriers and the whole thing catches like wildfire for a second round of total lockdown.

70 companies worldwide hope to have a vaccine ready by the hundreds of millions for September. 

Anything before that is a massive societal risk.

Not a chance. There's a very rigorous and long process to get drugs/vaccines approved for humans and it won't be done by September. They can't and won't compromise this process. They might be saying September, but there's zero chance of it happening.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Keep your chin up everyone.

To those we lost....  YOU were all loved and will be forever remembered.    RIP.

Lost my dad and my mother in law in the last 12 months. 

We will get through this. Rock on.  BC STRONG. 

Sorry for your loss, hope things are going well for you now. Cheers buddy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Speak for yourself. I'm in ontario and daycares are closed. My wife is a nurse and I work in the alchohol industry.  Things are tough right now having a little one. I'd pay double to have daycares open let alone free.

Daycare is more essential than tim hortons and Canadian tire in my eyes. 

Ah bummer sorry to hear that.  Wifes up there for a food company and can't work from home really and I work in a log mill so we are the same boat right now, daycare hasn't closed down yet but there was fear a few weeks ago when they cancelled schools that daycares would follow, only silver lining is I could go afternoons/graveyard shifts and the wife could go in a bit earlier since shes not a on a set schedule but its not an ideal situation at all either way as it just makes things a hell of a lot harder on us.

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ah bummer sorry to hear that.  Wifes up there for a food company and can't work from home really and I work in a log mill so we are the same boat right now, daycare hasn't closed down yet but there was fear a few weeks ago when they cancelled schools that daycares would follow, only silver lining is I could go afternoons/graveyard shifts and the wife could go in a bit earlier since shes not a on a set schedule but its not an ideal situation at all either way as it just makes things a hell of a lot harder on us.

I feel you man. It upsets me when people are quick to say "close this and close that" when it doesn't effect them. Someone quoted my last post saying they're a firm believer that everyone should be staying home with their own kids. Again that sounds fine and dandy until they aren't treated by my wife the nurse, they cant eat because your wife didnt go to work for the food company, they couldn't fix their roof because you stayed hom from logging and they didnt get a fat stay at home cheque because the government didnt make tax .oney on the alchohol I move all day.

I hope they stay open there in some degree for families like yours and mine bud. Stay strong man.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel you man. It upsets me when people are quick to say "close this and close that" when it doesn't effect them. Someone quoted my last post saying they're a firm believer that everyone should be staying home with their own kids. Again that sounds fine and dandy until they aren't treated by my wife the nurse, they cant eat because your wife didnt go to work for the food company, they couldn't fix their roof because you stayed hom from logging and they didnt get a fat stay at home cheque because the government didnt make tax .oney on the alchohol I move all day.

I hope they stay open there in some degree for families like yours and mine bud. Stay strong man.

If I don't go to work then everyone will have a toilet paper shortage hahaha!  Pulp is like 70% of our revenue apparently and unless people want to start wiping with a towel and washing it daily they need me to continue working.  But yea theres so many of us that aren't really thought of as "essential" but we are at the end of the day, theres a lot of steps that go into everything.  Hell even oil and gas are still needed eventhough everyhone wants those shut down these days, how do people think those you get needles, test tubes, hell even some vaccines take oil properties to make them.  Theres a long list, not everyone is a server at a restaurant or owns a mom n pops book shop, or can just take a laptop home and continue working.  Best of luck to you, you sound like you're having it much harder with the extra daycare closure and atleast I can adjust my work with other guys to make it work.

4 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Not a chance. There's a very rigorous and long process to get drugs/vaccines approved for humans and it won't be done by September. They can't and won't compromise this process. They might be saying September, but there's zero chance of it happening.

Vaccine, not a chance.  Better drugs to fight the disease and maybe help prevent it possibly, maybe.  But yea a vaccine for humans takes 12-18 months before its approved, no way we are anywhere near that any time soon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Me_ said:

Golf; the sport of Social Isolation

Only time I don't socially isolate when playing golf is when we all tee off.  Then after that I am walking to the fairway on the right everytime away from everyone else until we meet up at the cup again lol.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Russ said:

Only time I don't socially isolate when playing golf is when we all tee off.  Then after that I am walking to the fairway on the right everytime away from everyone else until we meet up at the cup again lol.

Idk. The beer cart girl is a popular place too lol.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Who needs a vaccine?  Just use the miracle malaria cure.  Bone Spurs told Ray Electrode that.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I gave you a beer on this post..it was very well articulated.....by the way, I like our hockey posts

This all started earlier when, a poster wrote that he had mention to a couple that they should only have one in shopping and another poster said that he should just have minded his own business...…...I am pretty sure you agreed with the guy minding his own buisness

I worked as a Patrol boat captain for the Port ...….I did shore line enforcement as part of my duties, so I am more black and white on those types of things. My general feeling is if people use common sense and common courtesies, most problems would not occur.

So, for people that want to go into stores together, it is not that I am totally against it, but rather that if it is a busy store, one should figure out that they do not need to be in the store and can wait outside. To me, if it is 10 minutes before closing time and a couple enter an empty store, well then who cares. No harm, no foul.

But, as I think of you as an intelligent person (and I do), I think you should be able to grasp that it is better to stay outside and wait. These are strange times, and there are just so many people that are on the edge. Mental health is being tested, and again I think you know that. So I expect that those that have a strong constitution and awareness, be able to again, figure out that it is better not to go inside if busy.

I eventually found one of the last pair of running shoes in town in Walmart and what I notice was a family of kids, sitting in a car with their Dad, He was aware that it would not be a good thing to load them into the store. The wife went in alone. I applaud that.

Now, a related story is my tenant downstairs, is a very nice, awkward and timid man. He gets flustered in crowded places, and you will find that when these times present themselves, he will simply not go in, because it stresses him. Now, he does not have a car either, and he has no one else to go in for him, so he waits, sometimes for several hours to find a time that is less busy, and when he has settled down. This man is gold! and he never complains, but I see how it affects his life…..it is hard not to emphasize with him.

So, I have pretty strong feelings on the subject. As an past enforcement officer, I hate bullies, and hate people that push their rights, at the expense of others. When common courtesy would do wonders and resolve many issues.

I recognise I am not the law on here, and I don't want to be. And I like you as a poster. But I will call an ace and ace and a spade a spade when I see it. 

PS..I was a very sickly, scrawny kid, and was bullied a lot until I started boxing, and putting on weight. I hate bullies, and inconsiderate people, who do mean things just because they think they have the right to. It is probably why I got into the field I did. I fight for the underdog in my life today, and if raining or not busy will stop to let a pedestrian walk across the road, no because I had to, but because I am sitting in a nice heated car, and every second they wait, they get wetter. I think my mom and dad raise me proper, and taught me we. Not that I am anywhere close to perfect.

I am basically finished with this convo. I don't expect you  to change your mind, but I am absolutely not changing mine.

Peace and stay heathy

We're on the same page that people shouldn't break recommendations for no good reason. 

The reason why I'm more on the "give people the benefit of the doubt" side of things is because I don't feel we should just be going around and assuming what everyone's situations are, that they're merely being inconsiderate bullies towards their fellow community members. You seem to want to call them out without knowing their situations, but hopefully you can see now that you can easily assume the wrong thing when your assumptions are based deeply in your emotional triggers towards those you think are against you, as you did towards me. I prefer the seek to understand approach. 

FTR, I was bullied my whole younger years as well, but being bullied doesn't give us the right to then become the bully enforcers at a time like this. If anything it should give us the ability to be more considerate, even towards those we presumptively assume are flaunting the rules. If you haven't ever heard the commencement speech by the late author David Foster Wallace This Is Water, give it a listen on Youtube. I think it's applicable in many ways here, and it's a very good speech. It's about being aware and considerate to those around us, which you and me and others are doing, but that we're not perfect all the time, as you know, and we constantly have to remind ourselves that the world is not actually out to get us personally, even when it can feel that way at times. Every one of us could use the reminder from time to time. We all have our own things going on and reasons for our actions, so taking the benefit of the doubt side of things can help bring us together. 

Lastly, and I don't want to continue this conversation after this either, but please do think twice about what it would be like if we all were just going to call an ace an ace. If we all were going to, well, then expect others to do the same to you, such as you shouldn't go golfing and break that recommendation not to, or you shouldn't go to buy shoes and only shoes at one time because you're breaking the recommendation to not go out more than you have to (remember, you could've killed two birds with one stone and got groceries at the same time). Imagine if someone came up to you and called you out when you were going from store to store looking for shoes what that situation would look like. I'm guessing there could've been yelling and swearing, etc. Is that what we want or need during this? I personally don't think so. Situations are never simply black and white, as we have both described with our "breaking of the rules", so maybe giving people the benefit of the doubt is the way to go. 

P.S. 

If someone is simply being a selfish POS and actually not giving two craps about the recommendations, well, screw them and their republican ways. Make some complaints, call a bylaw officer, write to a newspaper, etc. Anyways, this is water, this is water. Cheers.