The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

23 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Golf is not a sport, it's a recreational activity.  God dam argument Donny had against poker not being a sport could be applied to golf.  You stand, you walk and you swing a club no less than 10lbs. - none of which are remotely strenuous.  Esports, poker, dog shows....  this is the stuff we allow on sports stations now because of golf.  

The hate and vitriol any sensible person has towards Trump on his handling of the Coronavirus pales to my disdain of this pathetic excuse of a athletic competition.  I will not derail this thread any further as I am 100% right and my argument is rock effin solid.

Tre Mac out.

I know its hard.

You'll get there, keep your head down and eye on the ball. It's the number one tip.

Just cause that POTUS turd likes the game, that's not golf's fault. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Lots of media using CCP moniker now instead of pointing fingers at the Chinese people who are mostly blameless.  China Communist Party. 

Media sometimes spends too much time on trivial matters and politically correct terms.

We have bigger fish to fry imo.

• Upvote 2

China calling themselves CCP now? Lets have a series of hockey games with them like in '72. In '72 we crushed their spirits and the Soviet Union fell within 15 years. We get no credit for that and Reagan pretended he did it with his stupid 'tear down this wall' speech.

3 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

China calling themselves CCP now? Lets have a series of hockey games with them like in '72. In '72 we crushed their spirits and the Soviet Union fell within 15 years. We get no credit for that and Reagan pretended he did it with his stupid 'tear down this wall' speech.

Hopefully we can host it in Van again so we can show team Canada the tremendous support we did in '72

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Hopefully we can host it in Van again so we can show team Canada the tremendous support we did in '72

It's Vancouver bashing day is it? Here's another oldie but goodie 'Vancouver is the only city in the world that's had a sports riot". How dare they, they'd never ever do that in England. Classiest fans this side of Philly.

Edited by Timbermen
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

It's Vancouver bashing day is it? Here's another oldie but goodie 'Vancouver is the only city in the world that's had a sports riot". How dare they, they'd never ever do that in England. Classiest fans this side of Philly.

Vancouver is the best city on the planet.

In fact the way team Canada was treated by Vancouver fans could have given the team the motivation they needed. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

We're on the same page that people shouldn't break recommendations for no good reason. 

The reason why I'm more on the "give people the benefit of the doubt" side of things is because I don't feel we should just be going around and assuming what everyone's situations are, that they're merely being inconsiderate bullies towards their fellow community members. You seem to want to call them out without knowing their situations, but hopefully you can see now that you can easily assume the wrong thing when your assumptions are based deeply in your emotional triggers towards those you think are against you, as you did towards me. I prefer the seek to understand approach. 

FTR, I was bullied my whole younger years as well, but being bullied doesn't give us the right to then become the bully enforcers at a time like this. If anything it should give us the ability to be more considerate, even towards those we presumptively assume are flaunting the rules. If you haven't ever heard the commencement speech by the late author David Foster Wallace This Is Water, give it a listen on Youtube. I think it's applicable in many ways here, and it's a very good speech. It's about being aware and considerate to those around us, which you and me and others are doing, but that we're not perfect all the time, as you know, and we constantly have to remind ourselves that the world is not actually out to get us personally, even when it can feel that way at times. Every one of us could use the reminder from time to time. We all have our own things going on and reasons for our actions, so taking the benefit of the doubt side of things can help bring us together. 

Lastly, and I don't want to continue this conversation after this either, but please do think twice about what it would be like if we all were just going to call an ace an ace. If we all were going to, well, then expect others to do the same to you, such as you shouldn't go golfing and break that recommendation not to, or you shouldn't go to buy shoes and only shoes at one time because you're breaking the recommendation to not go out more than you have to (remember, you could've killed two birds with one stone and got groceries at the same time). Imagine if someone came up to you and called you out when you were going from store to store looking for shoes what that situation would look like. I'm guessing there could've been yelling and swearing, etc. Is that what we want or need during this? I personally don't think so. Situations are never simply black and white, as we have both described with our "breaking of the rules", so maybe giving people the benefit of the doubt is the way to go. 

P.S. 

If someone is simply being a selfish POS and actually not giving two craps about the recommendations, well, screw them and their republican ways. Make some complaints, call a bylaw officer, write to a newspaper, etc. Anyways, this is water, this is water. Cheers.

I guess, first of all, I talk in generalities, because you are right, I do not know the case.....

Secondly, Golf was closed by the Canadian golf assoc. not the health board and where I play is not a member

also Frazer health Authority actually said you can golf...although I do not live in the Greater Van

Thirdly, I did not have a pair of shoes that did not hurt my feet,,,,like a lot! And it was at my doctors recommendation I get a pair of over size ines

Because, I have heart disease and have at least walk (although I am a lot more active in that), there was also fear that I may be permanently damaging my tendon

Again, my issue with couples is in general, ........now you specifically, I would hope you would consider my and the others  point of view...…..

PS...……..I do not go up to people and point out their wrong doings, short of something criminal, and then I will report it to the police

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Laser Canuck said:

Just curious, do the the school teachers still get full pay? 

Please, don't tell me the once a week email my child receives from the teacher for assignments deserves full pay.

Better guidelines need to drawn up quickly on what teachers need to be doing because I believe some of the teachers(not all) are using this situation as an excuse to not do their Job. Good on the teachers that are trying their best to educate our kids but there should be minimum standards that include classroom instruction via zoom or skype. Our Kids and the tax payer deserve better.

Teachers have to answer to district guidelines around the pandemic.

Personally, I'm working 845 to 245 and then spend a lot of time outside of that answering emails, setting up assignments on Teams and marking.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel you man. It upsets me when people are quick to say "close this and close that" when it doesn't effect them. Someone quoted my last post saying they're a firm believer that everyone should be staying home with their own kids.

Agree strongly with your post and I hope it works out for you.

A couple on here need to reign in their opinions about everyone staying home when they don't know others situations.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Golf is not a sport, it's a recreational activity.  God dam argument Donny had against poker not being a sport could be applied to golf.  You stand, you walk and you swing a club no less than 10lbs. - none of which are remotely strenuous.  Esports, poker, dog shows....  this is the stuff we allow on sports stations now because of golf.  

The hate and vitriol any sensible person has towards Trump on his handling of the Coronavirus pales to my disdain of this pathetic excuse of a athletic competition.  I will not derail this thread any further as I am 100% right and my argument is rock effin solid.

Tre Mac out.

lol you couldn't be further from the truth. Tiger, DJ, Rory, Koepka, Finau etc are all legitimate athletes. It isn't a 'fast' sport but the ability to shape  a ball's flight with precision and power, with an angled club head, requires extraordinary amount of skill, hand eye coordination, and mental fortitude (to do it consistently and under immense pressure). There are more components of athleticism in golf then there are in sports such as distance running, or any track event for that matter.

I miss golf...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Vancouver is the best city on the planet.

In fact the way team Canada was treated by Vancouver fans could have given the team the motivation they needed. 

Espo was the guy doing the complaining after that game.....

...and it was Espo who set up Henderson' winning goal......2 + 2 = 4......:gocan:

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Laser Canuck said:

Just curious, do the the school teachers still get full pay? 

Please, don't tell me the once a week email my child receives from the teacher for assignments deserves full pay.

Better guidelines need to drawn up quickly on what teachers need to be doing because I believe some of the teachers(not all) are using this situation as an excuse to not do their Job. Good on the teachers that are trying their best to educate our kids but there should be minimum standards that include classroom instruction via zoom or skype. Our Kids and the tax payer deserve better.

Oh wow talked to my buddy last night thats a teacher, he's on google video chats (whatever its called) with his students each day trying to teach them math.  He said its damn near impossible and is working more now than before because its so hard to help kids not in person to learn math.  He's setting up lessons, trying to teach via video to small groups at a time (they rotate between 3 teachers doing 3 different subjects or something like that), says its hard as hell and is really burning him out compared to before.

Thats unfortunate for your kid though :S 

• Cheers 1

I'm sure this will be lost on Bone Spurs, but he's officially lost the plot when Piers Morgan of all people criticizes him:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/piers-morgan-blasts-friend-trumps-virus-response-says-hes-failing-the-american-people

Pointing out that he considers Trump a “friend,” the Daily Mail editor-at-large said that he’s watched the daily White House briefings with “mounting horror” because this isn’t what a president should be doing.

“And all that is required from the president in those moments, and any world leader, frankly, they have to be calm, show authority, they have to be honest, they have to be accurate, entirely factual with what they’re telling the people and they have to have an ability to show empathy,” he exclaimed.

“On almost every level of that, Donald Trump at the moment is failing the American people,” Morgan continued. “He’s turning these briefings into a self-aggrandizing, self-justifying, overly defensive, politically partisan—almost like a rally to him.”

I've only posted what I felt was the most pertinent passage....more in the article.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

There are more components of athleticism in golf then there are in sports such as distance running, or any track event for that matter.

Haha yeah ok.

Agree to disagree. A long distance runner is an actual athlete. A golfer?  Not so much haha.

ath·let·i·cism

1. the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha yeah ok.

Agree to disagree. A long distance runner is an actual athlete. A golfer?  Not so much haha.

ath·let·i·cism

1. the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.

Are you telling me it doesn't take strength and agility to make a ball go far?

Perhaps shooting a puck into the back of the net isn't athleticism either? It's kind of the same idea if you think about it.

Just because they walk instead of run doesn't mean it doesn't involve some sort of hand-eye coordination (which absolutely falls into the definition you gave).

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agree strongly with your post and I hope it works out for you.

A couple on here need to reign in their opinions about everyone staying home when they don't know others situations.

I was the one that was saying that parents should be raising their own children.  However I was referring to our society as it is currently setup. I was not bashing him for living with the way things currently are. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha yeah ok.

ath·let·i·cism

I said "more" components of athleticism than running. Marathon runners have better aerobic fitness than a professional golfer, but the golfer is stronger, more powerful, more mobile/flexible, and has better hand eye coordination. I would also argue that golf involves much more 'skill' than being a marathon runner.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1