The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it means higher unemployment, maybe lower salaries for a lot of people. Pretty tough sell. 

With Johnny Cash departed (RIP), we can't just turn on the Money Machine!

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

Three of Canada's major political parties had agreed on a plane for conducting Parliament moving forward.....but one party objected.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/stage-set-for-resumption-of-parliament-as-tories-reject-virtual-commons-sittings/ar-BB12Syb5?li=AAggNb9

Barring a last-minute deal, the stage appeared set for members of Parliament to return to the House of Commons on Monday after the Conservatives rejected a Liberal government proposal to hold one in-person session and up to two virtual sessions per week.

The Liberals announced Sunday that they had reached tentative agreement with the NDP and Bloc Quebecois following a series of closed-door negotiations as federal parties sought ways to increase parliamentary oversight during the COVID-19 crisis.

The plan would have seen 32 MPs meet in the House of Commons each Wednesday for in-person sessions starting this week. One 90-minute virtual session would then be added the following week for MPs to ask questions  of the government and ramp up to two per week thereafter.

But Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer dismissed the proposal during a news conference on Parliament Hill, suggesting there remained many unanswered questions about holding a virtual sitting of the House of Commons and insisting on three in-person sittings per week.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Three of Canada's major political parties had agreed on a plane for conducting Parliament moving forward.....but one party objected.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/stage-set-for-resumption-of-parliament-as-tories-reject-virtual-commons-sittings/ar-BB12Syb5?li=AAggNb9

Sheer has to go. 1/2 American nihilist. Anyone else is better.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Just like the protests south of the border, people like these make up a tiny portion of the population. Honestly, the only thing that gives them any power whatsoever is the fact that the media reports on them.

Here's a map displayed by Faux news:

Homepage | Media Matters for America

Makes it look like there's widespread support for these protests, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Well, I'd say that hard time hadn't really done much to deter criminal activity in the US.  I think Canada looks pretty good in that respect.

Prisons don’t really deter criminals same with the death penalty.

It subjects them to punishment, granted crime is much less prevalent in Canada.

But people like Olson, Picton etc. committed heinous crimes.

For which they were rewarded with warm cell, bed, 3 meals a day, medical etc.
When you commit these types of crimes, there is no rehabilitation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Prisons don’t really deter criminals same with the death penalty.

It subjects them to punishment, granted crime is much less prevalent in Canada.

But people like Olson, Picton etc. committed heinous crimes.

For which they were rewarded with warm cell, bed, 3 meals a day, medical etc.
When you commit these types of crimes, there is no rehabilitation.

I'd imagine if they were in the US prison in 'general population', they would've be rewarded with something warm every night.

K so not sure how everybody is keeping from going crazy but my outlet is running. Been doing  an 8k route in my neighbourhood every other day and it’s been very therapeutic. First 15 min of the run  suck and  then  you get into a zone and you just go . 

Edited by falcons
Spelling

3 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

The process is there to ensure safety and save lives. They might want to ram it through but the CDC and WHO are scientific organizations and won't cut corners just to make politicians happy. 

They will not cut corners, but they will expedite the process due to the fact that many more lives may be lost if they don't. This process is not political, it is humane. Politicians will push this for their agenda, but the health organizations also want to save lives, quicker for humanity's sake, not for political reasons. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, falcons said:

K so not sure how everybody is keeping from going crazy but my outlet is running. Been doing  an 8k route in my neighbourhood every other day and it’s been very therapeutic. First 15 min of the run  suck and  then  you get into a zone and you just go . 

Sounds like Runners high..... or maybe you have been at one of the Essential service outlets... for BC bud. 

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Teachers have to answer to district guidelines around the pandemic.

Personally, I'm working 845 to 245 and then spend a lot of time outside of that answering emails, setting up assignments on Teams and marking.

Like all professions there are some that will only do the bare minimum. 

If the minimum requirement for an elementary school teacher during a pandemic and responsible for all subjects is only required to send a short generic email once a week then one of three things needs to happen.

1. Increase the minimum requirements for teachers to actually teach during a pandemic.

2. Reduce teachers pay by 50%

3. Reduce the workforce by 50%

Most teachers I am sure, are doing the best that they can and I know none of these things will happen. Some teachers are really using this as a semi-vacation and ruining the image of the profession. My hope is that it will be safe for the kids to return to school soon.  

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'd imagine if they were in the US prison in 'general population', they would've be rewarded with something warm every night.

They would be segregated but occasionally higher profile prisoners get killed by other inmates.

Dahmer and Geoghan come to mind.

I saw a number that 30% of all killed in California prisons are sex offenders.

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

They would be segregated but occasionally higher profile prisoners get killed by other inmates.

Dahmer and Geoghan come to mind.

I saw a number that 30% of all killed in California prisons are sex offenders.

As well as snitches (though I *think* the Dahmer types are viewed even worse by other prisoners than snitches) like Whitey Bulger.  Have no idea regarding the differences between Federal and State prisons.

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Did you read the early part of the convo? or did you sleep through that?

I was just making a light jab about what actually happened. My next post clarified that I love Vancouver, cause I do and even pointed out that how the team was treated could have been the motivation that they needed for victory.

Heres an article for you, saying exactly that. 

https://thetyee.ca/Life/2012/09/08/1972-Summit-Series/

Fair enough, and yes I did. :lol: The current schedule of drinking and painting car parts has really taken a number on my daily schedule. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it means higher unemployment, maybe lower salaries for a lot of people. Pretty tough sell. 

Short term pain, imo.  This perpetual growth cannot continue.  We'll look back on this virus as *the good old days" if we keep going the way we are

• Upvote 1