The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, dough teeth said:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza 

(USA only) 

How many thousands of strains of the flu are there.... compared to this one strain of vivid 19?

Flu mortality  0.01%
Covid 19 mortality 3.4%

Be complacent as you want around the nursing station/charting room. But I sure hope you take it more seriously when your hands on

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If you cost billionaires and a majority of governments a lot of money and they found out then they'd want payback. In this sort of scenario you aren't costing a few places money/lives/stress but the majority of the global world. Crime/Government/Business.

It is essentially as you say but at an overly extreme level.

They wouldn't probably wouldn't publicly execute you on the streets but I could see a lot of them wanting extreme retribution behind closed doors. Like said persons children/family members disappearing, etc. All morals would be thrown out the window. You potentially could bring the worst out of humanity.

You'd have to get caught though. They'd be playing the biggest risk/reward game in the world in this sort of scenario.

And that's just it. They'd have to be caught and proven guilty, which would never happen because they have the resources to wriggle out of any sort of implication.

Big picture though, I'm cynical and have an undying belief that corporations and the people in charge of them are evil by nature. Their only motivation in life is the accumulation of wealth, which they will stop at nothing to get.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

To all of you saying Corona is fake news or it gets exaggerated:

I also thought so until a couple of days ago. Yes it is not much

worse than the regular flu at the first sight BUT

- Mortality rate is higher, flu is 0.1% while Corona is about 0.7-2.0% 

- We have a vaccine for the regular flu not for Corona

- Most people have antibodies/resistency for the regular flu, therefore 

it doesn't spread as well as Corona

- The INCUBATION TIME is up to 2 weeks, means people are sick and

don't even know it and then infect others

- What if the virus mutates?

- If most of worlds population gets sick within a couple of months all

medicine and treatment will be out and mortality could go up

All things considered this will not end the world but it has/will have 

huge impact on daily lives, economies and so on..

Remember all the previous "fears" like SARS and the swine flu??

There was also some panic but nothing got cancelled.. this time its different,

unfortunately

Just wait until the next flu season (this fall)/once this mutates.

Not to be alarmist but it should be something to consider.

5 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

To all of you saying Corona is fake news or it gets exaggerated:

I also thought so until a couple of days ago. Yes it is not much

worse than the regular flu at the first sight BUT

- Mortality rate is higher, flu is 0.1% while Corona is about 0.7-2.0% 

- We have a vaccine for the regular flu not for Corona

- Most people have antibodies/resistency for the regular flu, therefore 

it doesn't spread as well as Corona

- The INCUBATION TIME is up to 2 weeks, means people are sick and

don't even know it and then infect others

- What if the virus mutates?

- If most of worlds population gets sick within a couple of months all

medicine and treatment will be out and mortality could go up

All things considered this will not end the world but it has/will have 

huge impact on daily lives, economies and so on..

Remember all the previous "fears" like SARS and the swine flu??

There was also some panic but nothing got cancelled.. this time its different,

unfortunately

Corona virus likely only affects people who are in an age group. I think it's 60 and over. And who are immune compromiswd

The flu affects everyone, but usually the people who are over 60 and immune compromised die.

The stats you posted aren't apples to apples.

There's also people saying this could be the next Spanish flu, but the Spanish flu affected everyone and killed everyone so they are not similar at all.

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, dough teeth said:

just letting you know the mindset of the majority of doctors and RN at hospitals in the lower mainland..

I get it. I hear the same talk. Fact is it’s easy to look the other way until it’s right on top of you. Then it’s too late.

I work LTC and in a hospital. Talk is overflow in the hospital is going to lead beds in my LTC facility hallways. What better way to contain an infectious virus then by over crowding buildings filled with the most vulnerable population. Bad decisions everywhere 

• Thanks 2

apparently, this virus is a SARS type virus (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) and has similar molecular make up...its a crown shape "corona" virus.

These measures are being put in place in order to slow the spread of the virus so that they can find a vaccination. The experts say it's inevitable that the virus will spread across the world...it's just a matter of time. They need to slow the spread.

....or the conspiracy theorists would say "the world is over populated and the growth needs to be controlled, they have a vaccination; however, they need to have more people die in order to reduce population"...it's a conspiracy theory. 

Edited by Pete M

4 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Corona virus likely only affects people who are in an age group. I think it's 60 and over. And who are immune compromiswd

The flu affects everyone, but usually the people who are over 60 and immune compromised die.

The stats you posted aren't apples to apples.

There's also people saying this could be the next Spanish flu, but the Spanish flu affected everyone and killed everyone so they are not similar at all.

The thing to keep in mind about the Spanish flu is it came in waves. 3 separate waves to be exact with the second wave being by far the most deadly one. We are currently in the first wave of COVID-19. Don’t panic but be sufficiently worried and think of the others around you. The more people this virus infects the higher possibility of a mutation. It’s a bad idea to think of a virus that we’ve never seen before and have no vaccine for as similar to the flu. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

So you’re saying either suspend the season or move all NHL games to the BB&T?

My prediction, games will be played with no fans, and before or during the weekend they suspend the season.