The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, skategal said:

Could the uptick be in part due to the change in testing?  I think we're now testing people who want a test as long as they are referred by a doctor?  I thought we changed that recently from just testing more specifically?  

Could be a combination of all things I suppose.  I go more by the hospitalization numbers to feel better/worse about how things are going as that number is a consistent measure.  So far that number seems to be declining.  

Excatly, testing has changed to a broader spectrum so of course as more people get tested the numbers will rise compared to before.  BCs numbers were artificially low because we were testing specific people and sending others away who had mild symptoms, now thats not the case.  LIke you said, the only thing I really care about are hospitalizations numbers at this point, thats the number that we need to watch and with those numbers going down or staying flat, its not overwhelming the medical system so thats great for us to try and treat others.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-pushes-back-against-cdc-directors-warning-about-coronavirus-second-wave

Trump adamantly argued that the coronavirus would not come back in the fall with the same virulence that has this spring – saying that at most it would be “the embers” of the virus the country will have to deal with when the next flu season begins.

Translation: Get your shovel and start digging your underground shelters now.

Imagine how pathetic it must feel to be in that press room.

The doctors, the journalists, the reporters, the camera operators, the door valet, even Mike Pence fundamentally knows what hell is upon us all.

And this guy is there, using the Office as a self-agrandizing show, spewing lie after lie after lie, taking precious time away from the American people, looking like an absolute buffoon to everyone but himself. 

I wonder if he knows how absolutely stupid he sounds. I mean fundamentally. In his callused con heart.

I think a reporter is close to asking him exactly this:

”Mr. President, with over two million confirmed cases in America and a hundred thousand dead before fall, are you starting to realize how stupid and dangerous what you say may sound?”

”You’re so vile you know? You’re so nasty. CNN. Fake news. But you know that. And you know what? I’ll tell you you’re very nasty to me because your fake news”

...and the Trump show goes on, and people keep dying in vain.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I wonder if this uptick is a result of people ignoring social distancing guidelines for Easter? I guess we'll know the full result in another week or so? 

Or the fact they have opened up testing to anyone. Or the Mission prison increase. Or the poultry plant increase.  Though I guess we can blame it all on the Easter weekend which was almost 2 weeks ago. 

Besides the most important stats are the ones in Hospitals, which has dropped and those who have recovered, which have increased. 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Russ said:

Uptick will also have to do with them allowing anyone to get tested now.  Before it was very specific individuals who could and couldn't get tested.  You essentially had to have a lot of trouble breathing for the hospital to test you, if not they sent you away.  On Monday they opened up the testing so that more of the public could get tested now if needed and with that more open testing you will have more people trying to get tested and the numbers will rise.  The big thing will be hospitalizations and ICUs, as long as they stay down and at levels that hospitals can manage effectively then we are doing well.  The big vast number of cases is almost an irrelevant number as long as most don't get critically ill and end up at the hospitals.

Sorry, had the wrong numbers.

Despite the new directive, the number of tests has not significantly changed since access was broadened. On April 7, B.C. conducted 1,073 tests and on April 17, the most recent day that the total testing figure was available, there were 1,483 tests.

Peter Phillips, an infectious disease expert, said B.C.'s public health officials need to figure out what obstacles are getting in the way of increased testing before the province can hope to begin to reduce some of the physical-distancing measures that have helped flatten the curve of infection rates.

“Even though there’s been messaging about increasing testing, it has not yet happened,” he said in an interview.

This was posted yesterday ^

14 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Or the fact they have opened up testing to anyone. Or the Mission prison increase. Or the poultry plant increase.  Though I guess we can blame it all on the Easter weekend which was almost 2 weeks ago. 

Besides the most important stats are the ones in Hospitals, which has dropped and those who have recovered, which have increased. 

Was anyone blaming it all on anything? 

28 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Well I'm sure they all contributed.  The Easter numbers definitely will start showing up now...

27 - poultry plant (1 counted previously)

1 - Mission (up from 76 to 77)

This is a great resource to have available as some will struggle with mental health during this crisis:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6824435/b-c-registered-psychologists-mental-health-support-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0tqxfSgq8cpHq-2kvZ3TgC5KLh318o7Vk-H2VF4kBr4xOzQVdJxZrUiU8

B.C.’s registered psychologists offering free mental health support during coronavirus pandemic

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The thickness of the non-existing brain matter in this unfortunate soul cannot be under-estimated.

If that was my mayor I would say it screw selling my place and moving with that wingnut as mayor.  Yes lets make ourselves guinnie pigs and see if we can survive this as a mass packed area.  Isn't Florida already doing that on the beaches?

• Cheers 1

It’s just getting worse and worse. They’re going to have to remove the President of the United-States by force. His rhetoric cannot be sustained until November 3.

They’ve removed the top vaccine research doctor in America after he went against Trump’s creepy suggestion to use Hydroxychloroquine.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1