The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

That's concerning.. not proven yet but concerning at the very least..

"Stanley Perlman, a coronavirus expert at the University of Iowa told Global News that when it comes to these cases, officials need to determine whether the patients are really re-infected, or if the virus was “never really cleared” from their bodies."

Yeah, that was just a quick search.

I've heard it a few times, that you can be re-infected and that the re-infection could have heavier effects.

That said, not much known about this yet so the info is spotty. 

24 minutes ago, Dick Long said:

If you cant contribute something smart, you should take a pass.  I know 60 year olds that can kick your ass.  What a moronic thing to say.  Internet loser of the day 

B8753A2F-6F76-4A6A-8742-D6B6BDB99697.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is objectively not true.  Covington 19 kills all ages ranges (except under 10) at a higher rate than the flu does.

D4BA37D3-A680-4D0C-8E0A-0722B3B0AB28.jpeg

I agree the mortality rate is higher.

But, healthy people get the flu, whereas healthy people are less likely to get covid.

What that means is that the people getting covid are more likely suffering from a weakened immune system leading to more deaths or a higher mortality rate.

That is why I say the population samples are not comparable 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The flu kills 500-1500 people a year in Canada.  This has killed 1000 in a week in Italy.  It's not the flu

It’s another flu type disease without any vaccine yet so it’s potential is it will kill more elderly with existing conditions and In a country with a high elderly population it’s mortality rate course is running higher then average. Since feb 21 871 have died in Italy against confirmed covid cases of which increase the mortality rate percentage without adding in the unconfirmed home quarantined Patients who are letting it run its course. The flu infects over a billion people a year and we have a vaccine! Hasn’t stopped traffic or shut down more then a senior center. It’s existed for 2000 plus years and never did we react the way we are reacting now. To say a 1000 died in Italy a week is inaccurate I get you rounded up but that’s my point.  

from science Italy is In a bad spot and historically they always are. This link suggest in a roughly three year period in Italy influenzas took out 68,000 people. Or roughly 60+ a day on average some weeks much higher or lower so goes the season. Sounds pretty familiar to me.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

Edited by Bertorama

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

All depends who's in on it.

We witnessed how effective short selling and stock manipulation is in 2008, global economies crashed, millions lost their investments yet some profited huge from it. This could be a very organized and well executed plan.

Then again, I love conspiracy theories and watch too many movies.

You've been playing too much mafia, my dude. :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

I'd say take extra precautions than just as you would the regular flu. With the high numbers of people being infected with the flu every year, seems like normal precautions have been lacking.

this is how countries are getting into trouble.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, dough teeth said:

As a healthcare practitioner, I can say that the corona virus is fake news

Ooh an R ennnnnn. For sure you know more than a doctor. Maybe you should stick to giving out meds, and leave the mental heavy lifting to the actual experts. ;)

By the way, is that you Donald?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

It’s another flu type disease without any vaccine yet so it’s potential is it will kill more elderly with existing conditions and In a country with a high elderly population it’s mortality rate course is running higher then average. Since feb 21 871 have died in Italy against confirmed covid cases of which increase the mortality rate percentage without adding in the unconfirmed home quarantined Patients who are letting it run its course. The flu infects over a billion people a year and we have a vaccine! Hasn’t stopped traffic or shut down more then a senior center. It’s existed for 2000 plus years and never did we react the way we are reacting now. To say a 1000 died in Italy a week is inaccurate I get you rounded up but that’s my point.  

from science Italy is In a bad spot and historically they always are.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

The WHO has listed covid-19 as a global pandemic. Is it really the same as the flu?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/declares-coronavirus-global-pandemic-live-updates-200311235023766.html

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

With all of this happening, its important to remember the sole reason why this has spread this badly.

China.

They are still falsifying their numbers regarding this virus, a multi-billion population country and they think we believe they only have 100 new cases a day now? 

If they were honest about the numbers from the start the rest of the world would of been better prepared and would of taken it more seriously. Can never trust a communist country with telling the truth. 

And for those of you who think it only kills old people: one of the first whistle-blowers in China that was arrested, Wuhan doctor Li Wenliang died of the virus, non-smoker healthy 34 year old...

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best fellow CDC'ers... 

You really think it was the virus that killed him?

You just said we can’t trust communist countries.

Jeepers, can some of you stop this 'flu' nonsense?

It's scary, I know but please don't be in denial. 

Wash your hands, stay at home...I look forward to hearing 'I told you so' from the doubters if this isn't a big deal in the next few weeks. 

That would be a great outcome. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

With all of this happening, its important to remember the sole reason why this has spread this badly.

China.

They are still falsifying their numbers regarding this virus, a multi-billion population country and they think we believe they only have 100 new cases a day now? 

If they were honest about the numbers from the start the rest of the world would of been better prepared and would of taken it more seriously. Can never trust a communist country with telling the truth. 

And for those of you who think it only kills old people: one of the first whistle-blowers in China that was arrested, Wuhan doctor Li Wenliang died of the virus, non-smoker healthy 34 year old...

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best fellow CDC'ers... 

Dude. You say not to trust communist china because they'll falsify numbers, but somehow believe communist china's explanation of whitleblower, Dr Li Wenliang's death?

Ok

11 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

To prevent getting the disease you would use the same precautions as the flu. For example both the flu and Coronavirus are transmitted via contact and droplets so if you don’t want either wash your hands and don’t let other people cough on you etc. If you have the flu or virus already wear a mask to prevent the virus going to other people. This virus is very similar to the flu as well in terms of mortality rates.. I don’t understand the need for mass panic when most people can’t differentiate whether they have the flu or the virus.. Just take your routine percautions and all should be okay.

If you are old or a baby you need to be extra protective of yourself just like you would be when it’s flu season..

While I understand the facts of mortality rates of the flu vs covid19, what isn't being talked about is the speed of which it is spreading vs the regular flu.  This is spreading faster than the ordinary flu and since it's spreading quickly that will inevitably bring up the mortality rate.

Again, I don't see the harm in being safer than sorry and I agree that this doesn't mean panic.  Just like washing your hands, wearing masks and "not letting other people cough on you" (which ultimately you can't control) these are precautions.

3 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

The WHO has listed covid-19 as a global pandemic. Is it really the same as the flu?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/declares-coronavirus-global-pandemic-live-updates-200311235023766.html

They can call it what they want. Pandemic sure sounds scary not to mention it couple with people on full body suits always that’s a nice fear touch. The sheer amount of social pressure has a part in this world panick is my point, I didn’t say it doesn’t suck I said when the dust settles and someone actually get to review this the. I’ll rad up and believe what I believe I’m telling you there more untruth then truth but you get to decide for yourself and so do I so I’m not bashing just sharing my point of view. 

• Like 1