The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 minutes ago, PCBABY said:

Everybody should get exposed to it and get it out of the way. Just buy some butt wipe first and you should be good B)

my understanding is its not that kind of virus, it can hit you multiple times and gets worse each time

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

my understanding is its not that kind of virus, it can hit you multiple times and gets worse each time

I actually just read you can't get it multiple times. But it can go into a type or remission and come back.

Same same but different 

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Honestly, the biggest reason we should be taking the quarantine measures seriously is because if it spreads to too many people at once, we're going to run the risk of completely overwhelming our public healthcare infrastructure.

Most people who contract coronavirus will probably live, but there will still be a large number of people who will require hospitalization because of it. If too many people become seriously ill at the same time, it's entirely possible we won't have enough resources to properly treat them all.

Yeah exactly. It's the butterfly effect. For every person infected who takes the proper measures and does not spread it, that's tens, hundreds, or thousands of lives spared.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Brad Marchand said:

Honestly, the biggest reason we should be taking the quarantine measures seriously is because if it spreads to too many people at once, we're going to run the risk of completely overwhelming our public healthcare infrastructure.

Most people who contract coronavirus will probably live, but there will still be a large number of people who will require hospitalization because of it. If too many people become seriously ill at the same time, it's entirely possible we won't have enough resources to properly treat them all.

eaxactly right and exactly what is happening in Italy.......now their Drs and nurses are infected, if they get seriously sick, then what?  Countries who are managing this pandemic are getting out in front of it before it's a proble, not chasing it.  Schools, unis, public gatherings  and borders should be closed until they get a handle on it.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

All depends who's in on it.

We witnessed how effective short selling and stock manipulation is in 2008, global economies crashed, millions lost their investments yet some profited huge from it. This could be a very organized and well executed plan.

Then again, I love conspiracy theories and watch too many movies.

As big as 2008 was personally I don't think it has the potential of a pandemic-like event in terms of how much of negativity it can create for the world. It wouldn't be a single event that abruptly happens and changes everything awfully but instead be an event that slowly and continuously gets worse and worse, like a sickness.

Another not so fun fact that in 9/11 a lot of people made money from that tragic incident with the World Trades Towers falling. Some of which donated back to support those involved. When I was in high school my math teacher and his friend were two of those people. It made me do more research and learn about more stories that did as well. I thought it was seeing light in such a dark event.

In terms of who's in on it, the peoples/groups would be very limited. A pandemic affects a lot more people/groups in a lot more ways. Not many groups that wouldn't take a huge negative impact to such an event. The world has its brightest minds at work.

Way to early for this type of speculation though. There is only like 48,000 infected people right now, 68,000 out of the 126,000 have made a recovery. It would need to infect millions of people before it could potentially have an impact close to 2008 and that's if the people in power don't get control. At that point we could see thousands of airports, businesses, borders, schools, etc shut down. Globally we could resolve it before it can get that sort of seriousness.

I think the biggest concern is stopping the spread and creating a vaccine. The more people infected the faster it spreads. Dense populated and poor countries have more of a risk.  If hundreds of thousands of people become infected there's a possibility that it wouldn't be long for millions to be. Second concern would be that it doesn't mutate and become more deadly before we can vaccinate it but I feel that's on the lower side of probability.

It isn't a deadly illness but the more people infected the more people will die, the more businesses/economies suffer, the more panic ensues, the more the world would have to be at pause/suspended, etc.

I enjoy these talks too and speculated on what potentially could be. I don't like to rule out the possibility but stray toward the probability. My mother thinks that someone created it too with the intent of making billions so you're not alone.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

the doubling time is 4 days and the death toll went up 31% (168 deaths)  in 24 hours between Monday and tuesday.  They have 12000 cases and 827 deaths as of today.......if the doubling rate is 4 days, they will have 24000 cases by Saturday, 48000 cases by next wednesday and 96000 cases by the 21st.  If that's true, they will have a death toll of over 3000 by the 21st.  

Perhaps it will slow down, we all hope it will, but to say its no worse than the flu and we should all just be more hygenic is reckless and dangerous.

Not picking on you stawns, your just bringing up interesting stuff

Turns out, 60% of Italy is 40 and over and is the San Jose Sharks of the world (one of the older countries). Right in the wheel house for the virus

Edited by Wanless
Spelling

Well I'm gonna make a new batch of cannabis infused olive oil.

It's the best when you're sick and in my not so professional opinion, one purely based on personal experience and other anecdotal evidence, helps kill the flu.

Also gets you wicked high without having to smoke anything. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, dough teeth said:

If everyone gets it, they become immune to it. Get Corona Virus and overcome it (which is easy for the majority) then move on

COVID-19: Can you be infected with coronavirus more than once?

As researchers scramble to learn more about the coronavirus, which continues to spread across the globe, several questions remain unanswered.

One of those questions is, if you become infected with COVID-19 and recover, are you immune to the disease or can you be infected again?

Second cases reported

Last week, the Japanese government reported that a woman in her 40s, who had been working as a tour bus guide, had been re-infected with the coronavirus, testing positive after having recovered from an earlier infection.

The woman, a resident of Osaka in western Japan, first tested positive for the virus in late January but was discharged from the hospital after recovering. She tested positive again on Feb. 26 after developing a sore throat and chest pains, the government said in a statement.

The case in Japan and another similar second-positive test reported in China earlier in February have raised concerns about the recovered patient’s immunity to the virus.

Stanley Perlman, a coronavirus expert at the University of Iowa told Global News that when it comes to these cases, officials need to determine whether the patients are really re-infected, or if the virus was “never really cleared” from their bodies.

Either way, Perlman says it is a “puzzling observation.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6623287/coronavirus-multiple-infections/

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Media sensationalism? These are the facts coming out from the best health experts all over the world. This is way beyond opinion vs opinion my dude. 

There are so many media sensations whatever going on, it makes it difficult to differ what is real/important and what is just a story to get viewers..

I used sports as a tool to decide how serious things are.. Sports are still going on = can't be that serious

Sports cancelled = serious

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

All depends who's in on it.

We witnessed how effective short selling and stock manipulation is in 2008, global economies crashed, millions lost their investments yet some profited huge from it. This could be a very organized and well executed plan.

Then again, I love conspiracy theories and watch too many movies.

People will ALWAYS find a way to profit from tragedy, doesn't mean they lit the fire.

3 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I actually just read you can't get it multiple times. But it can go into a type or remission and come back.

Same same but different 

Good to note that there are 2 separate strains identified by Chinese scientists. The L strain and the S strain. The L strain made up 70% of cases and was the more aggressive severe one while the S strain was more mild. It should also be noted that you can be infected by one strain at a time or both at the same time. So it is possible to be infected from the mild S strain and then later become infected with the more severe L strain. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

your opinion respectfully of course.  I’m not here to change it. My opinion is I’m not being either reckless or dangerous with deciding to live my life the same as always sure I might decide to buy a bit more food because I don’t trust I’m going to have a choice. I’d rather not buy into over driving media sensationalism going on here. I look forward to reviewing the data next year when this all settles out. 

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/news/2020/March/11-covid-19-updates.aspx

according to King County, just across the border, the doubling time is 5-7 days.