The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

As big as 2008 was personally I don't think it has the potential of a pandemic-like event in terms of how much of negativity it can create for the world. It wouldn't be a single event that abruptly happens and changes everything awfully but instead be an event that slowly and continuously gets worse and worse, like a sickness.

Another not so fun fact that in 9/11 a lot of people made money from that tragic incident with the World Trades Towers falling. Some of which donated back to support those involved. When I was in high school my math teacher and his friend were two of those people. It made me do more research and learn about more stories that did as well. I thought it was seeing light in such a dark event.

In terms of who's in on it, the peoples/groups would be very limited. A pandemic affects a lot more people/groups in a lot more ways. Not many groups that wouldn't take a huge negative impact to such an event. The world has its brightest minds at work.

Way to early for this type of speculation though. There is only like 48,000 infected people right now, 68,000 out of the 126,000 have made a recovery. It would need to infect millions of people before it could potentially have an impact close to 2008 and that's if the people in power don't get control. At that point we could see thousands of airports, businesses, borders, schools, etc shut down. Globally we could resolve it before it can get that sort of seriousness.

I think the biggest concern is stopping the spread and creating a vaccine. The more people infected the faster it spreads. Dense populated and poor countries have more of a risk.  If hundreds of thousands of people become infected there's a possibility that it wouldn't be long for millions to be. Second concern would be that it doesn't mutate and become more deadly before we can vaccinate it but I feel that's on the lower side of probability.

It isn't a deadly illness but the more people infected the more people will die, the more businesses/economies suffer, the more panic ensues, the more the world would have to be at pause/suspended, etc.

I enjoy these talks too and speculated on what potentially could be. I don't like to rule out the possibility but stray toward the probability. My mother thinks that someone created it too with the intent of making billions so you're not alone.

I didn't mean to make you put so much effort and thought into my bitter, anti-capitalist spin.

I do understand the actual implications of what I'm spinning. But it's only been posted for my own entertainment. 

3 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

There are so many media sensations whatever going on, it makes it difficult to differ what is real/important and what is just a story to get viewers..

I used sports as a tool to decide how serious things are.. Sports are still going on = can't be that serious

Sports cancelled = serious

At this point countries are being cancelled 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Media sensationalism? These are the facts coming out from the best health experts all over the world. This is way beyond opinion vs opinion my dude. 

I work with and live with medical professionals and we are all have the same opinion. These are the people who work in our hospitals care homes and clinics. We all agree on the same thing there is an over reaction going on here we haven’t seen before. This is my last post on this thread I’m going to stick with hockey I couldn’t help but share my opinion for a quick second I all ready regret it. Until the next game we get to chat sports and our Canucks with you all hopefully sooner rather then later. Cheers

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well I'm gonna make a new batch of cannabis infused olive oil.

It's the best when you're sick and in my not so professional opinion, one purely based on personal experience and other anecdotal evidence, helps kill the flu.

Also gets you wicked high without having to smoke anything. 

I literally just put in a batch of Blue Dream and honey into my magical butter machine, it's about 15 mins into the cycle

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

I didn't mean to make you put so much effort and thought into my bitter, anti-capitalist spin.

I do understand the actual implications of what I'm spinning. But it's only been posted for my own entertainment. 

Sometimes I go off on rants and can't help myself. Didn't feel any negativity toward you at all. I like making dialogue and having civil debates.

Mainly because when you don't have experience to learn and grow as a person than perspective is the next best thing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I literally just put in a batch of Blue Dream and honey into my magical butter machine, it's about 15 mins into the cycle

I've been thinking about getting one of those. Ive been using the slow cook oven method for years and I've never messed it up, but a friend recently preached the wonders of his machine and it made me think a bit.

9 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

I work with and live with medical professionals and we are all have the same opinion. These are the people who work in our hospitals care homes and clinics. We all agree on the same thing there is an over reaction going on here we haven’t seen before. This is my last post on this thread I’m going to stick with hockey I couldn’t help but share my opinion for a quick second I all ready regret it. Until the next game we get to chat sports and our Canucks with you all hopefully sooner rather then later. Cheers

All good, sadly that makes me doubt the capabilities of the Canadian healthcare systems. If you don’t learn from history you’re doomed to repeat it. And what we are seeing around the world is the  effects of originally thinking this wasn’t serious and an overreaction. I just wish the Canadian health care system could see beyond what is happening locally and look at the big picture. I hope you’re right and I wish you and the rest of the Canadian health care professionals  the best of luck if you’re wrong. Cheers. 

Edited by Petey40

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Sometimes I go off on rants and can't help myself. Didn't feel any negativity toward you at all. I like making dialogue and having civil debates.

Mainly because when you don't have experience to learn and grow as a person than perspective is the next best thing.

I get that. Didn't feel like you were mad. Just that I was clowning a bit.

We're good, JYD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I've been thinking about getting one of those. Ive been using the slow cook oven method for years and I've never messed it up, but a friend recently preached the wonders of his machine and it made me think a bit.

one of the best things I've ever owned, certainly cannabis related.  It's awesome.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

if you're a healthcare professional, you should know that going about your lie might be fine for you, as a healthy individual, but if you get infected, don't know it and pass it on to those you care for, then you are responsible.  If this gets a foothold in the boomer generation and care facilities, look out.  Lets not even talk about mutation

• Upvote 1

I am not joking..........this toilet paper thing has to be one of the stupidest things i have ever witnessed.  100 mile house is sold out until friday. I mean, what the actual.......

Who the hell reacts to a pandemic by stockpiling toilet paper 4 god sakes.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Honestly, the biggest reason we should be taking the quarantine measures seriously is because if it spreads to too many people at once, we're going to run the risk of completely overwhelming our public healthcare infrastructure.

Most people who contract coronavirus will probably live, but there will still be a large number of people who will require hospitalization because of it. If too many people become seriously ill at the same time, it's entirely possible we won't have enough resources to properly treat them all.

Great post.

I have heard ventilators could be in short supply. 

• Upvote 2

The Coronavirus isnt even that bad lol. Unless you're an elderly person you legit dont have nothing to worry about (unless you have health conditions that could lead to complications) influenza kills more people a year than COVID-19 in it's short existence, and it is nowhere near as deadly as SARS.

The media is hyping this up way too much. Wash your hands, dont travel, and if you do catch it you will most likely be fine. Some say it's like a normal cold.

Just dont take our sports away this close to playoffs! :sadno:

Edited by Brock Botanen

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

I am not joking..........this toilet paper thing has to be one of the stupidest things i have witnessed.  100 mile house is sold out until friday. I mean, what the actual.......

I read if you cram enough tp into all of your orifices coronavirus runs away because it thinks you're actually a butt.

• Haha 2