The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 hours ago, samurai said:

For sure, this new found heartfelt concern for the lives of elderly is suspect.  Elderly care workers in Japan make peanuts as well.  

Things need to change. Unfortunately I don’t think they will.

Edited by Me_

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Huh?

I think the misunderstood one is saying that even in the best country of Japan where everything is bestest; that the elderly also suffer from sub par care.

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Thanks are going better, i was finally able to pick up my daughter and bring her home so the house is a little busier now. Everyone here is still a little paranoid about going out so the city still looks a bit abandoned. Are you guys still on lockdown?

We're not in lockdown...but most things are locked down.  Social distancing here...restaurants are delivery or pick up only.  Most are adhering to the guidelines except the clown posse parading the street with their kids because "they don't want to be teachers" and freedom beats death for them.  Except we are free beyond taking care of one another through responsible actions.  The busted yoga guy who can "fix" coronovirus was part of their gong show parade.

What this is teaching me, personally, is that the world is mostly good...people are inherently good.  Egos seem to get in the way of that for some, but the overall theme of "we're all in this together" is quite strong.

Glad to hear things are going better!  If you hear from Philip B please let us know.  Alf...you out there somewhere??

• Cheers 3

Has anyone seen the Dr Erickson briefing on youtube? Sorry I can't figure out how to share a YouTube video here, but his argument after looking at data now that we're a few months into this covid thing is that lockdown doesn't really have a statistical difference in the numbers of sick and dying. They are actual doctors - not like Dr Shiva - and present their data calmly and clearly. They conclude that the social consequences of shutting down the economy and staying home are worse than the consequences of just carrying on. It's 60 minutes that made me think.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

City of Abbotsford should be commended. They have recently build a few modular housing projectst to get people off the street...

Homeless-Abby-Modular-Homes-2-777x437.jp

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/temporary-modular-housing-opens-in-richmond-1.23790141

Richmond too...although there was a strong group rallying against it!  They were comprised of some offshore "investors" who didn't want their nearby property values to drop!  I was pretty vocal in the fight for it...had some stuff in the papers, etc. 

Their sense of entitlement was so strong that they felt that the lot was more important to use for a dog poop area as they (or their tenants) used it for that purpose.   

Rather sick and distorted sense of humanity in some.  Dollars matter more than lives.

image.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Has anyone seen the Dr Erickson briefing on youtube? Sorry I can't figure out how to share a YouTube video here, but his argument after looking at data now that we're a few months into this covid thing is that lockdown doesn't really have a statistical difference in the numbers of sick and dying. They are actual doctors - not like Dr Shiva - and present their data calmly and clearly. They conclude that the social consequences of shutting down the economy and staying home are worse than the consequences of just carrying on. It's 60 minutes that made me think.

Glad to hear Loui got a new gig...are they buying out his contract?

(I'd like to see it - those arguing about $ over lives lost don't have much credibility with me for they're seemingly driven by a different set of ideals).

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Fan since 82 said:

Watched that briefing this morning. Very informative. Interesting that they were talking about the California experience. Their point about going to Home Depot but not the park across the street was very pointed. It appears the self isolation was a political decision which they did not disagree with as the virus first appeared. What they are questioning is continued isolation as stats are saying it is not effective. Distancing still appropriate.  

6 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

I'd rather listen to his ex-wife Fran Drescher when she acts with that annoying heavy nasal thick New Yorker accent than "Dr Shiva".  Heck, Dr Recchi might even be an improvement in terms of actual medical expertise.  No surprise he's a GOP candidate.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Watched that briefing this morning. Very informative. Interesting that they were talking about the California experience. Their point about going to Home Depot but not the park across the street was very pointed. It appears the self isolation was a political decision which they did not disagree with as the virus first appeared. What they are questioning is continued isolation as stats are saying it is not effective. Distancing still appropriate.  

Whose "political decision"?  The world's?  Because this isn't just a decision made by ONE country...many are urging these measures.

"How did this virus respond?" is what they're discussing right now.  I don't know that you can determine that yet??   How IS IT responding?  Well people who've had a life threatening bout of it can tell us more than these guys I'm sure.

Using "stats" for something so relatively unknown still?  That isn't even fully figured out?  

Numbers tell part of the story but, over time, they seem to change and a few months in probably isn't a big enough sample size to determine with certainty.  I'm no doctor but remember...some doctors are concerned about their well being and this is a profession to them.  Not all are worried about how we do...because when we're well, their private clinics suffer.

And they're challenging the prediction of "millions of deaths" that have not materialized.  They forgot the "yet" part in that, too.  I'm not sure the final numbers are in. yet.

For me, too early to tell and I'm not jumping back in until the people I trust here in BC/Canada...not some American doctors who own urgent care clinics that count on...sick people.

They've done 5,000 tests but news is that some (many) tests can produce false negatives/positives...Dr. Bonnie is the one I count on for this information.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Look at this comparison and Ontario isn't doing well compared to BC, yet look at the difference. In addition, look at the number of meat processing plants that are shutting down, both here and in the US, putting a strain on the supply chain. It only gets worse and worse if it remains unchecked. There's no need to argue stupid here, anyone can see what's happening.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling/status/1254228276383367169

Here's the report on the strain on the supply chain.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/business/tyson-foods-nyt-ad/index.html

Edited by aliboy

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Glad to hear Loui got a new gig...are they buying out his contract?

(I'd like to see it - those arguing about $ over lives lost don't have much credibility with me for they're seemingly driven by a different set of ideals).

If only it was our Erickson! 

The video made me think, and the fact that their in the business and looking at live statistics that any of us could get gives some credibility to their argument. They kept politics out of it, but there were a couple of points where their leanings started to come through. Have a watch and I'd be curious to hear what you think.

6 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

If only it was our Erickson! 

The video made me think, and the fact that their in the business and looking at live statistics that any of us could get gives some credibility to their argument. They kept politics out of it, but there were a couple of points where their leanings started to come through. Have a watch and I'd be curious to hear what you think.

But that's just it...they're using "stats" that, at this point, I'd guess are fairly incomplete...take out social distancing and other measures then see if they change?  Seems most doctors I trust figure they would.  Dr. Bonnie being one of them.  "Holding the line" is also keeping the stats lower it seems. 

I'm no expert..but she is.

Some doctors in California who own a (pay for services) clinic that thrives if people require "urgent care" (aka as being sick) aren't my go to experts.   Hmm, what are their motives driven by?  To have everyone "well" or to keep their business flourishing?

Dr. Bonnie is my main go to and I feel we're doing well in BC so why would we want to follow California doctor's advice?

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, aliboy said:

There are some quack doctors saying stupid things out there, the difference between what's happening in BC compared to NY is huge, it's obvious for anyone who has eyes.

Have you watched it or are you just sharing your general opinion? I have been very selective over what I watch and give credit to, and I don't think they are quack doctors. They don't come across as arrogant in my opinion and they seem genuinely caring.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

But that's just it...they're using "stats" that, at this point, I'd guess are fairly incomplete...take out social distancing and other measures then see if they change?  Seems most doctors I trust figure they would.

Watch it. I can't and don't want to defend them better than they could themselves. I'm not bothered if you decide you don't agree with them, and I'm not sure I agree with them. 

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yes very well presented arguments. 

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'd rather listen to his ex-wife Fran Drescher when she acts with that annoying heavy nasal thick New Yorker accent than "Dr Shiva".  Heck, Dr Recchi might even be an improvement in terms of actual medical expertise.  No surprise he's a GOP candidate.

Dr Shiva was married to the Nanny?