The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/temporary-modular-housing-opens-in-richmond-1.23790141

Richmond too...although there was a strong group rallying against it!  They were comprised of some offshore "investors" who didn't want their nearby property values to drop!  I was pretty vocal in the fight for it...had some stuff in the papers, etc. 

Their sense of entitlement was so strong that they felt that the lot was more important to use for a dog poop area as they (or their tenants) used it for that purpose.   

Rather sick and distorted sense of humanity in some.  Dollars matter more than lives.

image.png

these are great. Not only are they cheap, they are a very humane solution to homelessness. 

They also don't hurt property prices.  We had one literally a block from our place and it didn't hurt our value one penny. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

My concern is with the 5-10% of pigs that won't observe proper distancing once things re-open a bit. There might be enough of them to cause more outbreaks. Its one thing to lock things down the way we have, another to ask people to use "common sense" out there in the world. You can present good arguments, but then there's the reality of what a small % of people are like. 

Yeah.... 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

these are great. Not only are they cheap, they are a very humane solution to homelessness. 

They also don't hurt property prices.  We had one literally a block from our place and it didn't hurt our value one penny. 

That's right.

This certainly decreases property value.

I would hope that this crisis makes everyone feel global unity.

No longer should it be sufficient to say, that's someone else' problem.

I bet many people in tent city came to live this way because if drastic rent cost increase and drug prescriptions. The marginalized should be able to live in vacant apartments that are built only for profit. Ridiculous.

tent-city-500x333.jpg.7f6e944e2b77542a4d359b9bdc1de2f4.jpg

tent-city-nanamio-2018092-3-jpg.jpg.785cd30573a469dca618ae682e1c2356.jpg

tentcity1_140904.thumb.JPG.c32023aad630eadbf2487f3ed132bae2.JPG

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Have you watched it or are you just sharing your general opinion? I have been very selective over what I watch and give credit to, and I don't think they are quack doctors. They don't come across as arrogant in my opinion and they seem genuinely caring.

Here are a few questions raised for me during this:

Why did they leave ER's to open their own facilities?  If they care, ER's need doctors.

“If you’re going to dance on someone’s constitutional rights you better have a good reason, you better have a really good reason, not just a theory,” he said.

If you're going to sentence some to a potential death sentence, you also better have a really good reason and not just a theory.  

Typically you quarantine the sick. When someone has measles you quarantine them. We’ve never seen where we quarantine the healthy. 

Because this is a "novel" virus that also has never been seen.   Asymptomatic for some and therefore could be spread by people who "seemed" or thought they were healthy?  I'm no doctor,  but that's what most doctors have seemingly agreed on?? 

There's more (to be cont'd)....but I have to go do some stuff now.  I just don't buy in to what two doctors are saying out of California from their private clinic.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm a big believer in a simple solution to homelessness: build people a home. 

You'll get the usual, mostly conservative, crowd talking about how thats 'unfair' to regular taxpayer homeowners, but there are real consequences to simply letting people fester in things like tent cities. Do you want more, or less crime? more or less efficiency in our system? 

Its actually cheaper to build a modular home for someone than to jail them and deal with them in the ER. Even if you don't care about them as people, you can make a simple economic argument. 

This is what Italy does. They get you a home (Apartment, even if it's a rental/government housing).  At least then you have a place to stay. 

I'd add that in addition to getting a home you have to do at least 12 hours of community service a month. With whatever you are capable of. I don't care if it's

mowing lawns, painting an old persons home. Hell build birdhouses, or kids toys, or sewing. Giving back to the community makes you feel like you are a part of the community. And improves your self worth. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is what Italy does. They get you a home (Apartment, even if it's a rental/government housing).  At least then you have a place to stay. 

I'd add that in addition to getting a home you have to do at least 12 hours of community service a month. With whatever you are capable of. I don't care if it's

mowing lawns, painting an old persons home. Hell build birdhouses, or kids toys, or sewing. Giving back to the community makes you feel like you are a part of the community. And improves your self worth. 

the other part of the modular's is, we're not lining the pockets of some scumbag SRO building owner. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm a big believer in a simple solution to homelessness: build people a home. 

You'll get the usual, mostly conservative, crowd talking about how thats 'unfair' to regular taxpayer homeowners, but there are real consequences to simply letting people fester in things like tent cities. Do you want more, or less crime? more or less efficiency in our system? 

Its actually cheaper to build a modular home for someone than to jail them and deal with them in the ER. Even if you don't care about them as people, you can make a simple economic argument. 

As someone who's been involved in the building of several houses, there are also plenty of tasks that could be carried out by non-skilled laborers. Put some of the homeless to work on the construction and give them a stake in the operation.

• Cheers 4

Back to the California Urgent Care Clinic doctors:

0.03 chance of dying from COVID in the state of California. Does that necessitate shutting down medical systems? 

This is dramatic and false.  Medical systems have NOT been shut down but they've been rearranged to accommodate for possible scenarios and in order to be able to facilitate them.

The ones throughout the world experiencing "shutdown" (as in reference to the inability to keep up) are overwhelmed with a flood of patients with the virus.  Which really goes against their argument in my view.

But maybe their system has seen a bit of a shut down or seen a decrease as people are more fearful TO go to a medical facility during this crisis?  Maybe?

Hmmm.

We extrapolate data, we test people, and then we extrapolate for the entire community based on the numbers. The initial models were so inaccurate they’re not even correct. 

And so these (fairly "initial") may also be?  

I just feel they're rushing to judgement here and their numbers will also be proven "off" as this thing takes shape over time.  The sample size still isn't there yet to "determine"...which is what I feel OUR health officials are basing their decisions on.  "Too early to tell".

to be cont'd...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Back to the California Urgent Care Clinic doctors:

This is dramatic and false.  Medical systems have NOT been shut down but they've been rearranged to accommodate for possible scenarios and in order to be able to facilitate them.

The ones throughout the world experiencing "shutdown" (as in reference to the inability to keep up) are overwhelmed with a flood of patients with the virus.  Which really goes against their argument in my view.

But maybe their system has seen a bit of a shut down or seen a decrease as people are more fearful TO go to a medical facility during this crisis?  Maybe?

Hmmm.

And so these (fairly "initial") may also be?  

I just feel they're rushing to judgement here and their numbers will also be proven "off" as this thing takes shape over time.  The sample size still isn't there yet to "determine"...which is what I feel OUR health officials are basing their decisions on.  "Too early to tell".

to be cont'd...

And if they get hit hard with NY state numbers on the second wave, and run out of ventilators and doctors and front line staff get overwhelmed. Well we know who to point a finger at..... 

You can't win. Flatten the curve and take preventative steps you get folks screaming it was all media blowing out of proportion. Don't do anything you get Italy/US. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1