The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/asia/new-zealand-elimination-coronavirus-jacinda-ardern-intl/index.html

New Zealand claimed Monday it had "eliminated" the coronavirus as the country announced the easing of restrictions from "level four" to "level three," with new cases in single figures.

At a news conference, New Zealand reported one new case, four "probable cases" and one new death.

Ashley Bloomfield, New Zealand's Director General of Health, said the low number "does give us confidence that we've achieved our goal of elimination, which -- that never meant zero but it does mean we know where our cases are coming from."

He added: "Our goal is elimination. And again, that doesn't mean eradication but it means we get down to a small number of cases so that we are able to stamp out any cases and any outbreak that might come out."

I'd rather go hard at it for awhile and really try to get this thing under control than "dabble" and keep revisiting it as it can come back even bigger than the first round (from previous experience in the world with pandemics).

All in versus being blinded out and having to buy back in.  (Poker talk)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am noticing a lot of arguments and people on edge when I go out in public.  

yes, yesterday Hubby went to get in the car at our apartment, he said hello to the neighbor who was getting in their car, they struck up a conversation, which kind of turned into a heated discussion. this woman who is a personal trainer, believes the virus is just a hoax and that people are not dying from it. she says she is not going to be forced to social distancing. great so I am sitting in my apartment for 2 months and she goes out and spreads the virus ugh!!!

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

yes, yesterday Hubby went to get in the car at our apartment, he said hello to the neighbor who was getting in their car, they struck up a conversation, which kind of turned into a heated discussion. this woman who is a personal trainer, believes the virus is just a hoax and that people are not dying from it. she says she is not going to be forced to social distancing. great so I am sitting in my apartment for 2 months and she goes out and spreads the virus ugh!!!

One is sitting in her apartment, adhering to the rules of current times.

The other one is hijacked by an attractive spectacle and can not decipher between a complete farce fabricated for easy entertainment sake, and her own existence.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So glad to see people with good values and ethics and morals and also, COMMON SENSE! 

Now if we can get some to realize that farmers and businesses are throwing away food while people are starving and are in desperate need of assistance. Seems like a "no brainer" but we all know that sometimes the "all mighty dollar" is the only language that some people know how to speak.

It’s started. But I agree, it needs to be pushed harder.

In This Country (France), It’s Illegal for Grocery Stores to Waste Food

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

More from the Dr. Erickson video that I question (because, as informed citizens we should ask things of "the experts" and then form our opinion based on many...not ones we cherry pick because we like what they say):

In New York the ones they tested they found 39% positive. So if they tested the whole state would we indeed have 7.5 million cases? We don’t know; we will never test the entire state.

But they go on to form their opinion anyhow...even though, in their own words, we/they "don't know".  That's the part they're ignoring.  That the limited testing, false positives/negatives and other things really don't determine for certain.  So you can't really formulate decisions that ignore the possibility of things going the other way.  

I know about probabilities, blah blah blah...but, again "novel" virus that not everything is known about.  So both sides have "if's" to them and "if" we don't shut things down the consequences are going to possibly end in death for some.  

I wanted to talk about the effects of COVID-19, the secondary effects. COVID-19 is one aspect of our health sector. What has it caused to have us be involved in social isolation?  What does it cause that we are seeing the community respond to? Child molestation is increasing at a severe rate. We could go over multiple cases of children who have been molested due to angry family members who are intoxicated, who are home, who have no paycheck. Spousal abuse: we are seeing people coming in here with black eyes and cuts on their face. It’s an obvious abuse of case. These are things that will affect them for a lifetime, not for a season. Alcoholism, anxiety, depression, suicide. Suicide is spiking; education is dropped off; economic collapse.

Here's the thing...these things that aren't CREATED by isolation may be exacerbated, yes.  They'll become more prominent.  But the flipside is maybe some will flee rather than stay (as they have because it's easier/more comfortable)?  Maybe hitting the very bottom in this creates a way out because you can run and it won't be so easy to be chased down?  It may FORCE some people out of situations that they may have just stayed in.  Amplify them and make them more glaring and urgent.

Not for kids, of course.  Molestation is horrible and inescapable for kids...but these doctors use numbers for everything except these "stats" (the numbers on increases in mental health and issues of abuse).    Where are they because numbers need to be given here, too?  

Kids will be provided with (even more?) lifelines/options as a result of this.  Because they can't "go talk to" a teacher, doctor, etc. but those lines will be opened up other ways for them.  

Suicide too - there are still crisis lines and if someone's made the decision, that's probably not going to change if they're isolated...they usually feel isolated at the best of times but that's something that crowds don't always change.  It's rather shallow to assume it does...sometimes it amplifies the feelings of being alone...to see others out and about, happy.  So there are arguments in most of what they've presented for me.

I can tell you firsthand that some (former) ER doctors and private clinicians aren't always the best in suicide prevention/treatment.  Some are WAAY out there and feel, as this guy seems to, that you can just "fix" some of these issues with people.  Fresh air and sunshine.  For sad people?  Sure/maybe.  For clinically depressed...they're frozen.  They can't.  They try, duh.  They're more complex than that.  Mental health is quite different than "health" at times, even if they overlap.  You can't say "go outside, get fresh air" to someone suicidal because they'd love to be able to.  They want to be happy and if it were that easy, it'd be a done deal.  It shows, for me, how off base this guy is that he doesn't understand the complexities of anxiety and depression.   Depressed people can feel socially isolated in the middle of a busy food court.  It's so much deeper than the physicality of being "alone"...it's the mental thought of it that digs its roots in and festers into something insurmountable.  

Psychologists and mental health workers are opening up some options online and free.  That could actually help some because they can "reach out" from home and don't have to face the daunting task of venturing out until they do have the tools in place.

Education....wasn't perfect before all of this, let's face it.  And maybe since we're all "learning" new ways to do things education is part of that?  That we're seeing you can still "learn" from home?  That these ideas can be dragged along when things get "back to normal" and some of them incorporated in to how we do things?  Not every kid learns well in a classroom...especially those who are bullied, etc.  So we are introducing new ideas about learning that could be of benefit moving away from all of this.  If we only take gloom and doom out of this we're not trying hard enough.

The world needed a wake up call and, albeit, this isn't ideal....some things may evolve into something a bit better than they were before we took everything and everyone for granted?

Sure...it's not ideal to have kids out of school.   But education isn't something with a start/end date...we can always resume learning.  

This one really stands out though...even if it's conveniently and neatly buried in the middle of their presentation:

Medical industry we’re all suffering because our staff isn’t here and we have no volume.

Volume at a private urgent care clinic? = very sick people.  So get out and about people so this guy can get back to business!

I'll read/watch the rest later.  Or probably not.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Depressed people can feel socially isolated in the middle of a busy food court.

Thanks Deb. Since I lost my wife to cancer, just over two years ago, I know what being alone is like. You can go out, go to a movie, go ti a concert, go to a shopping mall (this is pre-COVID019) AND still feel absolutely alone because you have no one to share it with! 

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1