The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

In my head? No.

However, judging by some of the posts I've seen in my 16 years on these boards, i think that there definitely are people out there with fluid on the brain. The fact that Donald Trump is POTUS pretty much proves that....

The Trump most likely is pneumocephalic 

ie.  Airhead 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I agree, Vlad does put on a show but he is not to be &^@#ed around with.

KGB cadre indeed, the other guy is wannabe king, tough guy and a businessman.

Good thing your system is made to prevent the "executive branch" from causing *too much* damage.  Problem occurs when an unstable exec. has control of one (or both) the other two major branches.  Dodged one, when initially he DID have control of all three branches but his inability to work with others extends to even his allies.:lol:  Art of the deal indeed.  Best for NOBODY (regardless of what party they represent) control all three branches.  Forces people to work together.  Look how the provinces have generally worked with the Feds here in Canada with respect to this virus.  Some mistakes to be sure, but much more is accomplished.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Why is this funny? Movie reference? 

Yes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114746/

In a future world devastated by disease, a convict is sent back in time to gather information about the man-made virus that wiped out most of the human population on the planet.

Director:

Terry Gilliam

Writers:

Chris Marker (film La Jetée), David Webb Peoples (screenplay) (as David Peoples) | 1 more credit »
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Good thing your system is made to prevent the "executive branch" from causing *too much* damage.  Problem occurs when an unstable exec. has control of one (or both) the other two major branches.  Dodged one, when initially he DID have control of all three branches but his inability to work with others extends to even his allies.:lol:  Art of the deal indeed.  Best for NOBODY (regardless of what party they represent) control all three branches.  Forces people to work together.  Look how the provinces have generally worked with the Feds here in Canada with respect to this virus.  Some mistakes to be sure, but much more is accomplished.

Too much power is never a good thing.

During the Turkish occupation in the old country, there was a position of kadi, judge in a sense.

But his power extended beyond that off a judge.

The old saying was that kadi is the one persecuting you and the one judging you.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The NHL follows the NBA (once again) in selling team branded masks. Proceeds go towards Food Banks Canada (and Feeding America).

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nhl-face-masks-coronavirus

The NHL has begun selling team-branded face masks for charity

They look a bit funny. Maybe it's the stitching...

I ordered a Whitecaps one, didn't know the Nucks were doing them too..

• Cheers 1

55 new cases today

Total to date:  2,053

803 VCH

918 FH

119 Island

168 Interior

45 Northern

Most new cases associated with outbreaks at poultry farms (46 @ Superior now & 34 @ United)

2 more inmates at the Correctional Center - 120 total now + 12 staff

2 additional deaths today (on national mourning day).   :(

94 people currently are hospitalized / 37 in ICU

1,190 have fully recovered

No new LTC outbreaks

• Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:33 AM, stawns said:

To me, that sounds like they investigated, which is what they're supposed to do.  By Jan 31 they had issued a global health emergency.  They don't run any countries, it's up to leaders to take action

I know, replying to an old post, and I know the WHO relies on what countries tell them - if that information is tainted - they pass it on.  

But I disagree - they are the ones that declare World pandemics - so they are the ones that should have taken action sooner.

Answer me this, should Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization be charged with dereliction of duty and negligence with death resulting?

After all, he had the information from Taiwan but chose to ignore it.  That resulted in a huge delay for country leaders to take action. 

24 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I know, replying to an old post, and I know the WHO relies on what countries tell them - if that information is tainted - they pass it on.  

But I disagree - they are the ones that declare World pandemics - so they are the ones that should have taken action sooner.

Answer me this, should Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization be charged with dereliction of duty and negligence with death resulting?

After all, he had the information from Taiwan but chose to ignore it.  That resulted in a huge delay for country leaders to take action. 

They issued a global health emergency on Jan 31, what do you want them to do?

They actually intentionally try to avoid the "pandemic" label because of the fear and panic it can cause.  They did their job on Jan 31, after that it's on the leaders of individual nations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/qa-pandemic-declaration-means-69541987

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

How much 'proceeds' are going to the food banks though? 1%, 10% or 100%?

Something is better than nothing I suppose, but this does certainly feel more like something that is more than just for charity. They could've at least put the food banks logo on it as well if nothing else to give it some advertising to support them.

• Upvote 1