The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

as I posted earlier, Chad Staley, a 25 year old pro hockey player in Norther Italy died on Monday night and though the cause of death is "unknown", the rumour is covid.  I do acknowledge that's a rumour, but the location and timing fit.  

I'm also tired of people saying it's "just older people".........the boomer population is massive and they are human beings, their lives are every bit as important as others.  It may very well ravage that generation if it gets a foothold.  

I’m not saying their lives are unimportant . But that people who have the mindset of this virus won’t affect me because I’m young / healthy , the precautions and being vigilant is in to keep everyone healthy and reduce the spread. Particularly to those who are more suspectible to it.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Silky mitts said:

I’m not saying their lives are unimportant . But that people who have the mindset of this virus won’t affect me because I’m young / healthy , the precautions and being vigilant is in to keep everyone healthy and reduce the spread. Particularly to those who are more suspectible to it.

sorry, didn't mesan to imply that you were saying that, I was just using your comment as the jumping off point.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

this is what bugs me.. fear mongering to generate more control

hype and fear to such a degree that people have stopped thinking rationally and there's widespread panic..

obviously I don't want to catch this bug (or anyone to catch it) but I'm far more concerned with the economic impacts coming down the pipeline.. at first I was mostly annoyed by it all - not worried about it, but it felt like a senseless disruption.. now I feel like we're all lambs being led to the slaughter, whether a viral slaughter or an economic one.. 

except there are actual hard numbers that you cannot dispute.  What's happening in Italy cannot be disputed and it will happen everywhere if governments don't take the appropriate measures to contain it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

and the longer it hangs around, the more chance it has to mutate

Mutations go both ways, and one way is millions of times more likely the other.

Making things worse takes something incredibly specific to happen, like several key base pairs being simultaneously changed.

What is far far far more probable, is that it picks a base pair anomalie that renders it inert, which is what almost always happens.

These viruses accidentally pick up chunks from us as it uses our cellular machinery to replicate themselves. They are genetic sluts, and what makes something dangerous, is inevitably nearly immediately culled from the viral genome, if not by this method, simply by fizzling out due to an incredible mortality rate (like Ebola).

Edited by xereau
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, xereau said:

Mutations go both ways, and one way is millions of times more likely the other.

Making things worse takes something incredibly specific to happen, like several key base pairs being simultaneously changed.

What is far far far more probable, is that it picks a base pair anomalie that renders it inert, which is what almost always happens.

These viruses accidentally pick up chunks from us as it uses our cellular machinery to replicate themselves. They are genetic sluts, and what makes something dangerous, is inevitably nearly immediately culled from the viral genome, if not by this method, but simply by fizzling out due to an incredible mortality rate (like Ebola).

it may very well, no argument, but in the meantime it is very likely to cut a swath across the globe.  Six to eight months of this, at a 3-5% kill rate is going to end up with some terrifying numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it funny how much stock western society puts in a worldview that emphasizes Survival of the fittest but when push comes to shove very few people seem to actually buy it..... very nice to see some compassion going around though; lots of seniors I know who I’d hate to see have to fight with this sucker.  

On a sociological end it will be interesting to look back in a few months and see whether (And where) we were over or under reacting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

I find it funny how much stock western society puts in a worldview that emphasizes Survival of the fittest but when push comes to shove very few people seem to actually buy it..... very nice to see some compassion going around though; lots of seniors I know who I’d hate to see have to fight with this sucker.  

On a sociological end it will be interesting to look back in a few months and see whether (And where) we were over or under reacting. 

I don't say it often, but I truly hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Not 100% on this, but i'd assume that in reality there are a lot of unreported cases due to mild symptoms for some, therefore bringing down the percentage??? 

You are 100% on this, admit it. It's the OBVIOUS truth.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I truly hope that I am wrong, too.

But should the worst happen, I'd much rather be somewhat prepared for it as opposed to be caught rocked back on our heels before we even get out the gate on top of it. I've never understood why some folks are so determined to reject being proactive about something. Especially something that could have dire consequences if we are not somewhat prepared. :(

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

Do you know how many people has caught the common cold or flu this year alone? I've been sick 3 times since new years myself. Dont fall for the media hype. It's an infectious virus, but you dont have to worry about it unless your 50+ years old. Which even the common cold could be devastating for a senior anyway. Stop scaring people. The more people panic the more people will be out panic buying and I wont be able to wipe my a$$

Based on how you post I'm not convinced this is something you could do before the TP shortage. 

• Haha 2

Just now, stawns said:

Yeah I’m starting to pay a little bit more attention.  Most people I know in healthcare (and I know/am related to a couple at least) haven’t seemed super concerned so I haven’t been.  That being said IF the problem is the voracity of the thing and spreading to people who are susceptible I’m certainly okay with being a little more vigilant. 

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

The problem is that it is not very easy to measure whether doing something didn't produce an outcome. Trying to show that preventative measures resulted in reducing the spread of the virus is like trying to prove a negative. 

• Huggy Bear 1

The Millenials and Zoomers take over from here, you Boomers have done enough to wreck our planet and yourself.

Edit: oh and the people mad about this post, look at the way the world is going, we're over populated, factory farming, global warming issues, people only care when it can effect them, now everyone cares about saving mankind all of a sudden. smh

Edited by Caknuckle Puck
  • Wat 3

13 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

this is what bugs me.. fear mongering to generate more control

hype and fear to such a degree that people have stopped thinking rationally and there's widespread panic..

obviously I don't want to catch this bug (or anyone to catch it) but I'm far more concerned with the economic impacts coming down the pipeline.. at first I was mostly annoyed by it all - not worried about it, but it felt like a senseless disruption.. now I feel like we're all lambs being led to the slaughter, whether a viral slaughter or an economic one.. 

To be fair, I'm not sure if these people were ever thinking rationally. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

The problem is that it is not very easy to measure whether doing something didn't produce an outcome. Trying to show that preventative measures resulted in reducing the spread of the virus is like trying to prove a negative. 

The problem I see with all of this, is people warned about it for 2 months now, and now its EVERYWHERE, and now their solution is to tell everyone to live like cavepeople. Its disgusting.

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Yeah I’m starting to pay a little bit more attention.  Most people I know in healthcare (and I know/am related to a couple at least) haven’t seemed super concerned so I haven’t been.  That being said IF the problem is the voracity of the thing and spreading to people who are susceptible I’m certainly okay with being a little more vigilant. 

that's because it's not really here yet.  Medical professionals in Italy disagree, their health care system is about to collapse.

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

The problem I see with all of this, is people warned about it for 2 months now, and now its EVERYWHERE, and now their solution is to tell everyone to live like cavepeople. Its disgusting.

I'm not sure I'd go that far (depending on who you are blaming). If medical professionals warned about it, yet nobody took any preventative measures, I'm not that surprised that they would be recommending more drastic solutions. The call for drastic solutions to me is more about reducing the burden on the health care system than it is about the prevention of deaths. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

that's because it's not really here yet.  Medical professionals in Italy disagree, their health care system is about to collapse.

I legitimately purposefully ignore the news - especially when everyone is so rational when something like covid rears its ugly head - what’s causing the system in Italy to collapse?