The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Probably why I tend to choose to focus on my life.

The world's your ulcer if you let it...

Can also be your fortune; for the person with ideas that benefit humanity is greatly rewarded.

Edited by Me_

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If you did a bit of a flipped classroom model it could work.  I know my reality is probably different from other teachers, but I could see teaching 15 students for half a day, then another 15 online or the other half.  It is contingent on the students doing the work to prepare for an online lesson....that may be tricky.

That's likely the model that will be used in the fall.  If we come back by huge, I don't expect more than 8-10 kids in a classroom and, honestly, most parents I've talked with will not be sending their kids to school for the rest of this year.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That's likely the model that will be used in the fall.  If we come back by huge, I don't expect more than 8-10 kids in a classroom and, honestly, most parents I've talked with will not be sending their kids to school for the rest of this year.

That ratio, and more local. 

Perhaps it does take more than a year and a half to get a grip on something viable; that which returns humanity to any kind of normalcy.

Less travel, less per group but more localized groups.

Maybe we should break down education into a new way of knowledge transfer outside of the conventional institution which really, hasn’t fundamentally changed since the Industrial Revolution.

A combination of home education, localized training of teachers, the kids that should fall through the cracks are the ones that are of most urgent need.

If we can’t expect a kid to have an iPad, or be big enough to stay home by themselves, they shouldn’t be going to school, school should be going to them.

There must be a localized system. Home teachers perhaps. Smaller, tested, groups of students.

Say five to eight kids in a mobile unit with a certified teacher? Or a local office, rented and installed by the school board, and moves depending on need.

Edited by Me_

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If you did a bit of a flipped classroom model it could work.  I know my reality is probably different from other teachers, but I could see teaching 15 students for half a day, then another 15 online or the other half.  It is contingent on the students doing the work to prepare for an online lesson....that may be tricky.

I don't see that happening.  Parents who have jobs can't start working half days or quit their jobs to pick up kids at noon everyday or drop them off.  A lot of of families schedule their jobs and work schedules to drop off kids at school then pick them up at 3 or whatever, thats how we did it when I was young, theres no way we could have gotten home at young ages half way through the day without my parents.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Russ said:

I don't see that happening.  Parents who have jobs can't start working half days or quit their jobs to pick up kids at noon everyday or drop them off.  A lot of of families schedule their jobs and work schedules to drop off kids at school then pick them up at 3 or whatever, thats how we did it when I was young, theres no way we could have gotten home at young ages half way through the day without my parents.

Actually it depends on what generation....I was a “latchkey kid” where my babysitter was the TV.  Different times back then...

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, stawns said:

On the bright side of things, there wont be an issue with class sizes anymore.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

So llama antibodies... sure why not?

Hoping Llamas Will Become Coronavirus Heroes

Antibodies from Winter, a 4-year-old llama with great eyelashes, have neutralized coronavirus and other infections in lab experiments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/science/llama-coronavirus-antibodies.html

• Cheers 1