The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

That ratio, and more local. 

Perhaps it does take more than a year and a half to get a grip on something viable; that which returns humanity to any kind of normalcy.

Less travel, less per group but more localized groups.

Maybe we should break down education into a new way of knowledge transfer outside of the conventional institution which really, hasn’t fundamentally changed since the Industrial Revolution.

A combination of home education, localized training of teachers, the kids that should fall through the cracks are the ones that are of most urgent need.

If we can’t expect a kid to have an iPad, or be big enough to stay home by themselves, they shouldn’t be going to school, school should be going to them.

There must be a localized system. Home teachers perhaps. Smaller, tested, groups of students.

Say five to eight kids in a mobile unit with a certified teacher? Or a local office, rented and installed by the school board, and moves depending on need.

I don't think there's a need to re-invent the wheel with regards to education, but it is a constantly evolving system and this crisis will definitely change things.  

For the foreseeable future the class sizes will, obviously be the big change and that's one that can only benefit students..........they need more 1-1 time with educators.

I don't see a change in where it takes place as the social aspect of school is very very important for kids and, for the most part, they love being there.  I do think distance learning will play a bigger part, especially for older students.

It'll be interesting to see it unfold and be a part of it, that's for sure.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So llama antibodies... sure why not?

Hoping Llamas Will Become Coronavirus Heroes

Antibodies from Winter, a 4-year-old llama with great eyelashes, have neutralized coronavirus and other infections in lab experiments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/science/llama-coronavirus-antibodies.html

Look out for tomorrow's "Florida Man Eats An Entire Llama In An Attempt To Stave Off Coronavirus" headline

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Grabbed my attention after reading llamas may become coronavirus heroes 

bnWqAf9.gif

Microwaves kills the virus (and any other type of virus).  Male MAGA supporters are now sticking their "tallywacker" into microwaves to prevent STDs.:ph34r:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Microwaves kills the virus (and any other type of virus).  Male MAGA supporters are now sticking their "tallywacker" into microwaves to prevent STDs.:ph34r:

1028373211_ballsinwheelbarrow.jpg.0839f75b279ccb2a624c5aae504d6922.jpg

When people find out they can get medical weed, by microwaving their junk.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think I read that come September that there will be a mix of in classroom and virtual classroom.  Too lazy in the morning to check.  Sorry. :P

we're still not sure what it's going to look like and a big part of that will fall on parents deciding if they think it's safe to send their kids to school.  I think we'll see "shifts", so to speak, so that they can maintain low numbers in classrooms.

We might see a moderately significant maintaining of distance learning in high school, but not elementary/middle school.  

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Look out for tomorrow's "Florida Man Eats An Entire Llama In An Attempt To Stave Off Coronavirus" headline

hide your llama's !!! :frantic:

I hope Trump doesn't find out about this. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think I read that come September that there will be a mix of in classroom and virtual classroom.  Too lazy in the morning to check.  Sorry.

A few years ago the concept of the flipped classroom came out. A student would watch the lesson on line at home, then come to school and discuss the lesson with the teacher, do the assignments, and get help as needed. It was good, "in theory", I tried it, but the failure was a tremendous number of students did not do their work at home and watch the lesson. By the way, these lessons can be watched on a smart phone, tablet or a computer.  Maybe now, with them learning so much from home lately, it might work. 15 at home watching the lesson for the next day, and 15 in the classroom discussing what they watched the night before. Khan academy has good videos, I put up 115 math videos on youtube for the students to try this. We'll see....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wloutet said:

A few years ago the concept of the flipped classroom came out. A student would watch the lesson on line at home, then come to school and discuss the lesson with the teacher, do the assignments, and get help as needed. It was good, "in theory", I tried it, but the failure was a tremendous number of students did not do their work at home and watch the lesson. By the way, these lessons can be watched on a smart phone, tablet or a computer.  Maybe now, with them learning so much from home lately, it might work. 15 at home watching the lesson for the next day, and 15 in the classroom discussing what they watched the night before. Khan academy has good videos, I put up 115 math videos on youtube for the students to try this. We'll see....

yeah, I think many teachers are finding that is common now.  I know a somewhat common story with my colleagues right ow is they put together learning packages for their students, send them home and parents toss them straight into the recycling.

Distance learning is ok for a short term solution to a crisis like this, but not a practical form of education beyond that.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wloutet said:

khan academy is a resource many teachers are using now and one that many used before this.

• Cheers 1

Working for minimum wage can lead to lead poisoning:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/2-mcdonalds-employees-shot-after-angry-customer-told-dining-room-was-closed/ar-BB13KftC?ocid=spartandhp

Two employees at a McDonald's in Oklahoma City were shot and a third was injured after a woman allegedly became angry after learning that she was not allowed to dine inside the restaurant due to coronavirus restrictions.

The incident occurred on Wednesday evening at a McDonald's in southwest Oklahoma City when employees informed the shooting suspects that the dining room was closed and that she would be unable to eat there.

A physical altercation then began between the suspect and the female employee who fell and hit her head at some point during the fight. The suspect then left the premises and retrieved a handgun from her car.

“The suspect left the restaurant briefly and returned with a handgun and fired multiple shots,” said Capt. Larry Withrow of the Oklahoma City Police Department in a statement. “One male employee was shot in the arm. Another male employee was hit in the neck and shoulder area by what is described by police as bullet shrapnel. A third male employee also suffered from bullet shrapnel in his side.”

Police did not say how many shots were fired during the incident.

The three employees were immediately taken to the hospital and none of the injuries are considered life threatening.

McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski told ABC News in an interview Thursday on "Good Morning America" that the victims are doing okay and are expected to make a full recovery.

"Obviously it's a heinous crime, particularly because these two people were trying to really support public health," Kempczinski said. "I think what you're seeing in this situation is really what you're seeing in a variety of situations across the country, which is this tension about (re)opening. But there's absolutely no excuse for violence, particularly gun violence. So I'm just happy our people are going to be okay."

The suspect managed to flee the scene of the crime on foot but was arrested a few blocks away within minutes after the shooting took place. She was subsequently arrested and taken into custody where she is awaiting charges.

A partial reopening of businesses began in Oklahoma on April 24 even though Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt never issued a formal stay-at-home order for the state. Nonessential businesses in the state were permitted to reopen on May 1 provided they follow social distancing and sanitation guidelines.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Working for minimum wage can lead to lead poisoning:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/2-mcdonalds-employees-shot-after-angry-customer-told-dining-room-was-closed/ar-BB13KftC?ocid=spartandhp

Two employees at a McDonald's in Oklahoma City were shot and a third was injured after a woman allegedly became angry after learning that she was not allowed to dine inside the restaurant due to coronavirus restrictions.

The incident occurred on Wednesday evening at a McDonald's in southwest Oklahoma City when employees informed the shooting suspects that the dining room was closed and that she would be unable to eat there.

A physical altercation then began between the suspect and the female employee who fell and hit her head at some point during the fight. The suspect then left the premises and retrieved a handgun from her car.

“The suspect left the restaurant briefly and returned with a handgun and fired multiple shots,” said Capt. Larry Withrow of the Oklahoma City Police Department in a statement. “One male employee was shot in the arm. Another male employee was hit in the neck and shoulder area by what is described by police as bullet shrapnel. A third male employee also suffered from bullet shrapnel in his side.”

Police did not say how many shots were fired during the incident.

The three employees were immediately taken to the hospital and none of the injuries are considered life threatening.

McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski told ABC News in an interview Thursday on "Good Morning America" that the victims are doing okay and are expected to make a full recovery.

"Obviously it's a heinous crime, particularly because these two people were trying to really support public health," Kempczinski said. "I think what you're seeing in this situation is really what you're seeing in a variety of situations across the country, which is this tension about (re)opening. But there's absolutely no excuse for violence, particularly gun violence. So I'm just happy our people are going to be okay."

The suspect managed to flee the scene of the crime on foot but was arrested a few blocks away within minutes after the shooting took place. She was subsequently arrested and taken into custody where she is awaiting charges.

A partial reopening of businesses began in Oklahoma on April 24 even though Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt never issued a formal stay-at-home order for the state. Nonessential businesses in the state were permitted to reopen on May 1 provided they follow social distancing and sanitation guidelines.

she's going to get a crash course in social distancing from her cell mate, Beula

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

"Two employees at a McDonald's in Oklahoma City were shot and a third was injured after a woman allegedly became angry after learning that she was not allowed to dine inside the restaurant due to coronavirus restrictions."

May be the most American sentence I've ever seen. 

:ph34r: :picard: 

(Canada, America in emojis) 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1