The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Tbh I have been healthy, never take anything not even tylenol. It's one of the reasons I don't have the best understanding for pharma related conversations because have been fortunate to not need medicines for pains, headaches or anything. If I get the common cold it's halls and water basically and I don't get sick enough to make halls rich haha.

Frankly, I'm just as (if not moreso) concerned with alot of the drugs prescribed for non-physical ailments (eg., mental issues).  It has it's place but as a laymen, it seems to be relied upon too much much like how antibiotics are overprescribed.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

58 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You are right. My issue with big pharma is saving lives shouldn't be a huge money maker.

I never buy into these ancient Indian, Chinese, etc, etc remedies. 

D$%n, and I just spent a bundle on dried deer penis::D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I used acupuncture and it works pretty well.

I really got a lot out of Shiatsu massage, I think it uses similar pressure points as acupuncture.

A Senpai in my martial arts days was a Shiatsu practitioner. It was like physio, hard massage and relaxing techniques. 

This guy was in his mid 50's, seemed like mid 30's and was easily one of the best martial artists I have met. Very, very healthy person, he was ripped like Bruce Lee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

You are right. My issue with big pharma is saving lives shouldn't be a huge money maker.

I never buy into these ancient Indian, Chinese, etc, etc remedies. 

depends on how you want to look at it. 7-10 years of R&D with no guarantee of a return + all this risks of unknown side effects, generics ignoring your patents.... its not all cash grab. 

But the flip is there's a huge need in drugs for rare conditions that just doesn't get served. I'd like to see a partnership between gov't and pharma that closes those holes, in return for better patent protection. 

Yeah, i don't want to turn this thread into a naturopathic bash, we can start that thread elsewhere. But yeah. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

For the most part over the counter supplements and vitamins are just money grab.
As long as you have healthy diet you don’t need daily vitamins.

When you do, I get vitamin D supplement but since it’s very large dosage I have to get it through my doctor.

For the record, I used to take other supplements and vitamins for many years.

lets hope there isn't a Facebook fuelled panic on your supply.

B12 is another one many people are short on, since factory meat has less of it now. Pretty ironic side effect of big Ag. 

• Cheers 1

I came from the time when package food was not a thing. We all had gardens and ate basic food. Meat ,vegetables. Most everything was home cooked. 

Our food chain now is so full of chemicals and hormones.

I still try to eat the same way. I eat very little meat and close to 0 red meat. I still have a good steak once in a while. I am in my sixties and still don't get sick very often. Forget all the fads and weird diets. Just eat good clean food. What ever your background might be just try to stay away from packaged , processed food. Eat it the way grandma cooked it. 

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends on how you want to look at it. 7-10 years of R&D with no guarantee of a return + all this risks of unknown side effects, generics ignoring your patents.... its not all cash grab. 

But the flip is there's a huge need in drugs for rare conditions that just doesn't get served. I'd like to see a partnership between gov't and pharma that closes those holes, in return for better patent protection. 

Yeah, i don't want to turn this thread into a naturopathic bash, we can start that thread elsewhere. But yeah. 

You just made some good points. See this is why I'm not good in a conversation about this because I don't think of all that goes into it because honestly I've never given much Focus to it. Sometimes I just feel like healthcare and the ability to keep people alive and healthy should almost be a human right. But of course admittedly I'm not looking at the cost of it

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

B12 is another one many people are short on, since factory meat has less of it now. Pretty ironic side effect of big Ag. 

I don't take anything for any pain and thankfully have no health issues. Not a fan of pills at all but B12 is something I take on occasion if I find I am having too many days of feeling a little grumpy.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You just made some good points. See this is why I'm not good in a conversation about this because I don't think of all that goes into it because honestly I've never given much Focus to it. Sometimes I just feel like healthcare and the ability to keep people alive and healthy should almost be a human right. But of course admittedly I'm not looking at the cost of it

its the same frustration you feel when people talk about oil development 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't take anything for any pain and thankfully have no health issues. Not a fan of pills at all but B12 is something I take on occasion if I find I am having too many days of feeling a little grumpy.

I was talking to my GP about it a few months ago before the $&!# hit the fan. He was telling me about some studies showing people with higher plant based diets are doing better on B12 than heavy meat eaters, because factory meat is now so low on B12 since they don't eat grass or food off the ground anymore. So just one of many benefits of buying grass fed beef vs. the cheaper US stuff. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I really got a lot out of Shiatsu massage, I think it uses similar pressure points as acupuncture.

A Senpai in my martial arts days was a Shiatsu practitioner. It was like physio, hard massage and relaxing techniques. 

This guy was in his mid 50's, seemed like mid 30's and was easily one of the best martial artists I have met. Very, very healthy person, he was ripped like Bruce Lee.

My kenpo instructor was helping a friend move a spinet piano up the stairs to his apartment.

Mid 30s pretty ripped had two guys help him but they were struggling.

Another guy comes in, hands as big as paddle, probably in late 60s, carried piano by himself on his back.
They said the thing weighed about 400lbs

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was talking to my GP about it a few months ago before the $&!# hit the fan. He was telling me about some studies showing people with higher plant based diets are doing better on B12 than heavy meat eaters, because factory meat is now so low on B12 since they don't eat grass or food off the ground anymore. So just one of many benefits of buying grass fed beef vs. the cheaper US stuff. 

Grass fed stuff tastes so much better, we get our beef from the farm.

Same goes for milk without all the hormones and grass fed.

The problem for lot of people is cost vs. mass produced stuff.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets hope there isn't a Facebook fuelled panic on your supply.

They have been putting vitamin D in milk, cereals etc.

I know one really good source of B12 that most people in NA don’t like, liver.

Just have to make sure that is grass fed and organic.

• Cheers 1

On 5/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, Kushman said:

Deaths per million:

USA: 240

Spain: 566

ItalY: 503

UK: 465

France: 403

Belgium: 740

Netherlands: 316

Sweden: 319

Ireland: 293

Yet somehow all this thread can go on about is how trump is the worst and responsible for everything bad in the world. Genocidal murderer! Orangeman evil!

What about Canada? 

By the way, do any of those Countries on your cherry picked list have a leader that elbows the doctors and scientists off the podium so that he or she can, call themselves perfect, suggest dangerous remedies for the virus, and      openly squabble with different governors from their own country?

Do any of them boast about their television ratings or show zero empathy for those affected by this pandemic?

So yeah, Trump good. How could anyone doubt your Commander in Chief?

:bigblush:

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I went for blood tests last winter and I was low on Vitamin D. The doctor said something like 70% of Vancouverites are Vitamin D deficient in the winter simply because of the lack of sunshine. He said the best way to get sufficient Vitamin D is 30 minutes of sun on skin. So that being said, Happy Mother's Day and go out and get your Vitamin D (sun). :-)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

they just don't comprehend it!!!

I even have someone on twitter right now trying to tell me with zero factual evidence that those who tested positive didn’t attended this specific event :picard:

Edited by Pears
typo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1