The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

59 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

The Italians have an aging population and a lot of them smoke which is heavily contributing to the deaths.

no - age has been ruled out in region where it started (lombardi i believe) you are talking about.  It is relatively young and affluent.  The system is overburdened.  Plus its Italy.   Plus there are not enough Costco so people cannot buy toilet paper.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

Let’s not forget that the other flu strains cause around 290 000 - 650 000 deaths every year.  If that was reported every year with maps and death rates people would also freak out:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/influenza-(seasonal)

This strain has a slightly higher impact but is more contagious and the issue is the potential overwhelming of health care setups where they can’t help everyone at once.  Definitely worth the precautions but don’t forget how deadly the other strains of flu are.

and don't forget about traffic accidents. 

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

this is what bugs me.. fear mongering to generate more control

hype and fear to such a degree that people have stopped thinking rationally and there's widespread panic..

obviously I don't want to catch this bug (or anyone to catch it) but I'm far more concerned with the economic impacts coming down the pipeline.. at first I was mostly annoyed by it all - not worried about it, but it felt like a senseless disruption.. now I feel like we're all lambs being led to the slaughter, whether a viral slaughter or an economic one.. 

Bro you are bang on - remember who started the close everything and deny people life  - the Chinese Communist Party!

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is almost certain the season will get suspended now.  How would the NHL not follow the lead of the NBA, it seems like it would be a huge liability issue.

If there aren’t playoffs I wonder if the draft is run based on last year’s results or by current winning percentage for this season.

On the good side, if it follows other similar viruses, it starts fading when we weather comes.

the 1919 Stanely Cup was canceled was during the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu pandemic. 

The Stanley Cup was also canceled in 2005, due to a lockout by team owners ::D

3 hours ago, Petey40 said:

Influenza has a mortality rate of 0.01%. Covid-19 has an average mortality rating of 3.4% according to WHO. Get your facts right before spreading misinformation. It’s dangerous.

yeah but wait buddy, your are looking at very different data pools.  120,000 cases world wide reported and 13 million reported for the flu.  You can play around with it a bit but I would be careful about the facts.  Obviously you are going to get different mortality rates because of the size difference in data. 

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

yeah but wait buddy, your are looking at very different data pools.  120,000 cases world wide reported and 13 million reported for the flu.  You can play around with it a bit but I would be careful about the facts.  Obviously you are going to get different mortality rates because of the size difference in data. 

I never said you weren’t, but that’s the data as of right now. Even if it ends up at 0.6% mortality rate like in South Korea that’s still 6 times deadlier than the flu. 

Edited by Petey40
  • Hydration 1
8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

the 1919 Stanely Cup was canceled was during the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu pandemic. 

The Stanley Cup was also canceled in 2005, due to a lockout by team owners ::D

And Canuck fans rioted in 94 and 11 when we lost in game 7’s

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

no - age has been ruled out in region where it started (lombardi i believe) you are talking about.  It is relatively young and affluent.  The system is overburdened.  Plus its Italy.   Plus there are not enough Costco so people cannot buy toilet paper.

Do you have a source for that? Because all the reports I’m seeing is it’s still affecting the older population a lot harsher in Italy then the younger population. Plus affecting the younger population in a 1st world country that has good healthcare seems like a horrible situation to me. Especially with the system being overrun. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-announces-dollar1b-covid-19-package-as-who-calls-global-outbreak-a-pandemic/ar-BB112KFb?ocid=spartandhp

Infection rates 30-70%

Health Minister Patty Hajdu said that because Canada's response to COVID-19 has been based on science and evidence from the beginning, the WHO's pandemic announcement won't change the way the federal government approaches the outbreak.

Asked what percentage of the population could be affected by the virus, Hajdu pointed to the potential rates of infection for all populations, which experts have pegged at between 30 to 70 per cent. She said that most people who get the virus will experience only mild symptoms, similar to a cold or flu, and that it's the elderly or people with underlying health conditions who face the greatest risk.

"Those are the folks that are most severely affected by this illness. And so the work that we're doing as Canadians is not so much that it's lethal to the average healthy Canadian, but rather that they can then be a vector of infection to a very vulnerable person," she said.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said today that up to two-thirds of her country's population could become infected with the coronavirus.

40 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Do you have a source for that? Because all the reports I’m seeing is it’s still affecting the older population a lot harsher in Italy then the younger population. Plus affecting the younger population in a 1st world country that has good healthcare seems like a horrible situation to me. Especially with the system being overrun. 

Here is the source.  I think from 1:30 he mentions that in his region which has been hit the hardest half are over 65 and more cases now with younger people. So the point being that catching it is not age specific in his region.  However, later in the video he notes that people over 80 years of age who catch it have a low chance of surviving it.  The big theme is how unpredictable it is.  I am in Japan so have been following this since December.

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-announces-dollar1b-covid-19-package-as-who-calls-global-outbreak-a-pandemic/ar-BB112KFb?ocid=spartandhp

Infection rates 30-70%

Health Minister Patty Hajdu said that because Canada's response to COVID-19 has been based on science and evidence from the beginning, the WHO's pandemic announcement won't change the way the federal government approaches the outbreak.

Asked what percentage of the population could be affected by the virus, Hajdu pointed to the potential rates of infection for all populations, which experts have pegged at between 30 to 70 per cent. She said that most people who get the virus will experience only mild symptoms, similar to a cold or flu, and that it's the elderly or people with underlying health conditions who face the greatest risk.

"Those are the folks that are most severely affected by this illness. And so the work that we're doing as Canadians is not so much that it's lethal to the average healthy Canadian, but rather that they can then be a vector of infection to a very vulnerable person," she said.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said today that up to two-thirds of her country's population could become infected with the coronavirus.

What does this mean? 30-70% infection rate. Like 30-70% of Canada will become infected? Before what? When? This doesn’t really tell me anything or I’m just too dumb to understand. 

43 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Too soon?

IMG_9159.jpg

Too soon when people are dying from it.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

What does this mean? 30-70% infection rate. Like 30-70% of Canada will become infected? Before what? When? This doesn’t really tell me anything or I’m just too dumb to understand. 

30-70% of populations will get it.

That's why it is very important to contain it to halt the spread.

Places like old age homes with shared air vents are a terrible situation with how hard it is for seniors to fight off viruses as is, only that much worse as this new virus sounds like it is a "super flu" and seniors have the worst survival rate.

Eat healthy, wash wash wash, disinfect with some nice scotch, eat healthy, wash wash wash, stay calm as this is no worse of a death rate than most things that kill people also.

I believe the best way to halt a pandemic is to shut down all travel from infected areas immediately as well as shipping.

I'm born in Canada so i am a little unfamiliar with inoculations when immigrating to a new country.

Though i believe that if i were to say move to Sweden that i would need to provide a clean bill of health with no communicable diseases.

another issue i have with people flying around the world spreading things on "vacation" without having to be in good health.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, Petey40 said:

Page 4 can answer your question.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Bollettino-sorveglianza-integrata-COVID-19_09-marzo-2020.pdf#page=4

Classe di Età N. Casi % Casi N. Deceduti % Deceduti % Letalità

0-9 43 0,5 0 0 0

10-19 85 1,0 0 0 0

20-29 296 3,5 0 0 0

30-39 470 5,6 0 0 0

40-49 891 10,7 1 0,3 0,1

50-59 1.453 17,4 3 0,8 0,2

60-69 1.471 17,7 37 10,4 2,5

70-79 1.785 21,4 114 31,9 6,4

≥80 1.532 18,4 202 56,6 13,2

Unknown 316 3,8 0 0 0

Plus: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/news/p3_2_1_1_1.jsp?lingua=italiano&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=4187

22% (% cases) between 19-50.

Edited by ItalianCanuck1
  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic