The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Vanilla Isis and the Freedumb fighters in Michigan are still at it. Predictably, they've taken to making online death threats and hanging Governor Gretchen Whitmer in effigy.....<_<

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-noose-an-ax-and-trump-inspired-insults-anti-lockdown-protesters-ratchet-up-violent-rhetoric/ar-BB148eFo?li=AAggNb9

There's a video embedded in the article and some of the comments are just cringe-worthy....

Some guy in a yellow sweatshirt who appears to be one of the protest organizers, calling for "someone" to "fire Whitmer". He isn't sure who has the power to do this, so he runs down a list of possibilities, all the while oblivious to the fact that it's the Voters of Michigan who possess that power. :picard:

Another woman comments on the armed protesters, claiming that they're not there to frighten anyone....rather they're armed so they can "protect" people. "On both sides". :rolleyes:

There's another woman who's asked why she is protesting and calls it a "hard question to answer". In the end, she doesn't, but she does insinuate that there is some "deeper" reason for the shut down.

Paranoia...the destroyer....

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

There are cloth masks for sale online or if you are lucky a friend that sews has taken up the cause and is making them for all their friends.  A golf buddy said she bought a box of masks at London Drugs, so probably like disinfectant wipes, it's all in the timing!  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Vanilla Isis and the Freedumb fighters in Michigan are still at it. Predictably, they've taken to making online death threats and hanging Governor Gretchen Whitmer in effigy.....<_<

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-noose-an-ax-and-trump-inspired-insults-anti-lockdown-protesters-ratchet-up-violent-rhetoric/ar-BB148eFo?li=AAggNb9

There's a video embedded in the article and some of the comments are just cringe-worthy....

Some guy in a yellow sweatshirt who appears to be one of the protest organizers, calling for "someone" to "fire Whitmer". He isn't sure who has the power to do this, so he runs down a list of possibilities, all the while oblivious to the fact that it's the Voters of Michigan who possess that power. :picard:

Another woman comments on the armed protesters, claiming that they're not there to frighten anyone....rather they're armed so they can "protect" people. "On both sides". :rolleyes:

There's another woman who's asked why she is protesting and calls it a "hard question to answer". In the end, she doesn't, but she does insinuate that there is some "deeper" reason for the shut down.

That old guy looks angry, I wonder if someone pissed in his cereal.

• Upvote 2

Sad thing is....there appears to be a growing trend to more & more people just saying "**** the deaths, I'm tired of this" (or other selfish ideas).  Not just in the States but here in Canada as well.  That might be idea behind SOME of the partial openings here (vs "open all the gates" in certain States).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonderful. Is it mutating? Or just affects children differently? Or once exposed it doesn't directly affect them, but causes these effects because of a weaker immune system? 

The thought is that Covid-19 puts some children immune system into overdrive trying to combat the virus.  Thus the body can't handle it and the child dies.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

The thought is that Covid-19 puts some children immune system into overdrive trying to combat the virus.  Thus the body can't handle it and the child dies.

but BC is sending kids and teachers back to school with no masks ....   hopefully todays press conference tells us that BC gov will change their policey about NOT  providing kids and staff PPE to stay safe. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

but BC is sending kids and teachers back to school with no masks ....   hopefully todays press conference tells us that BC gov will change their policey about NOT  providing kids and staff PPE to stay safe. 

Staff should be provided masks....unfortunately, the children's mask will likely be the responsibility of the parents.  And I doubt masks for young kids would be an easy thing to manage...some hate wearing hats and pull them off.  I imagine the theme would be "leave your mask on/alone".  Unless you made it fun/a game..."superheroes" or something.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I imagine the theme would be "leave your mask on/alone".  Unless you made it fun/a game..."superheroes" or something.

What about masks with the Vancouver Canucks Logo on them?

• Upvote 1

Canada's Trudeau: Gov't to extend emergency wage subsidy program by another 3 mo.

Fri 15 May 2020 15:21:40 GMT

Prime Minister Trudeau speaking

Canada's Prime Minister Trudeau is speaking and says:
  • Canada to provide C$450M for research staff
  • Canada extend emergency wage subsidy to the end of August (3 month extension)
  • Canada Covid 19 cases rises to 73,818 vs. 72,536 yesterday
  • Covid 19 death toll rises to 5499 from 5337 yesterday
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think we will ever eliminate the virus fully (until a vaccine at least).  Just too many variables to keep under control and too contagious.  We just gotta keep those numbers low not in the hopes of elimination but so the hospital system doesn't get overburdened.

Increased testing will help us know the full scope of the situation and better keep things under control.  I sincerely hope if anyone has any doubts if they have COVID-19 or not they get tested.  Sounds like anyone who asks can get one. 

I can only speak for my site, but we have pretty clear protocols.  One student comes in at a time, they go through a series of questions, have to wash their hands, etc.  We have an extra janitor now that is soley dedicated to cleaning work spaces, high touch areas, etc.  As long as the number of students is low, it is manageable.  As I said though, I can only speak for my site (which has older students).  I'd be curious to see how things would be different at an elementary school.

I think Wilbur is bang on with this, not too far left and not too far right, but striking the right "balance" overall. 

We are not going to stop this from afflicting "everyone" and we don't want it to run free in the population. 

We know who is the most vulnerable and we know where the most cases are concentrated and we should use this information to manage this pandemic moving forward.

I believe Dr. Henry is doing a good job overall but I think her plan could be fine tuned a bit to give more detail on specific locales and specific population groups so we are not all grouped into "one size fits all" mentality. Some people could probably continue on with their lives with a little more normalcy without risking themselves greatly, while others should not be leaving their residency without exposing themselves to great danger. I think that's why there is so much confusion as to what we "should be" doing or "not" doing during this pandemic.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

What's odd to me is that a lot of places around the country seem to be reopening at the same time. That's certainly the impression I get on social media. 

I get BC reopening because we were on top of it much earlier but the eastern provinces aren't at the same state as we are in order to justify reopening at the same rate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Staff should be provided masks....unfortunately, the children's mask will likely be the responsibility of the parents.  And I doubt masks for young kids would be an easy thing to manage...some hate wearing hats and pull them off.  I imagine the theme would be "leave your mask on/alone".  Unless you made it fun/a game..."superheroes" or something.

Horgan and Henry 

No mask for teachers or kids

No plan for our kids.

No covid testing for staff

Zero plan .  Making our kids guinea pigs once again.   All for 8 days of "school " in June.   Of course it won't really even look like school though.....

Is this risk really worth it ?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1