The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the engagement part is very important, a lot of kids are going to slip through the cracks if teachers can't check in on them at least once a week in person. 

Teachers are doing attendance and daily check ins and if they don't hear from them at least once during the week, admin and the district do a physical follow up with the family.  At least that's how it's working in my district.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With all due respect Bree going camping and seeing your family is not an essential service.  Sending kids back to school in a safe way will allow daycare to open again and will allow parents to go back to work so they can feed their families.  We can't shut down the economy forever and destroy the country because of a virus that has only killed 140 people in all of BC, most over the age of 70 or with a pre-existing condition

Young people deserve to have a life and not have their future lives ruined because of this virus.  My parents would want me and the young people in this country to have a future.  My parents have already lived a full life.  Why would they want my life destroyed in order to try and protect them?  All I hear in this thread is trying to protect the elderly and sick people.  If I go out and try to have a life I am risking killing somebody's parents.  Nothing but fear mongering in this thread for the past 2 1/2 months which is why I barely post in here anymore.

Every life is important, not just your parents lives.  People are dying of suicide, drug overdoses, depression because of this virus, it's not only the people actually getting the virus that are dying.  People can't get surgeries that can save their lives.  The economy is going into the tank.  If we stay closed for 2 more months like this our economy may be permanently damaged.  Is that the cost we are supposed to pay for this virus?  To ruin the life of every young person out there and their future because somebody's parents might die if I decide to go outside?

Are we supposed to wait for a vaccine before we can leave the house?  That might take a year or more.  You think anyone will be going back to their job in a year?  You think those jobs will still be around?  

I think BC has done a great job in handling this whole situation.  140 people have died out of a population of over 5 million.  That is absolutely phenomenal when you look at other areas of the country and other countries.  I trust Dr. Bonnie Henry to do the right thing as she has done the right thing this whole time.  If she says certain people can go back to work and kids can go back to school in a SAFE way then I trust her 100%.  Dr. Henry has a plan to re-open BC in a safe way.  It's already been outlined in detail.  Enough with the fear mongering.  Let's get back to work and start enjoying our lives again.  We WILL get through this.  

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes you are wrong.  The average age of death in BC is 86 years old.  Only 2 people have died under the age of 70.  This is coming from Dr. Bonnie Henry.  You should watch her daily updates to get the most accurate information.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes that is right.  ALL lives matter, including the people who are dying because of suicide, depression, drug overdoses and because they can't feed their families. 

Who said anything about treating the elderly badly?  Most of the elderly who have died have been living in a senior's home.  It's unfortunate the virus spread to those places but what are we supposed to do?  They should be doing a better job at protecting seniors who live alone and who live in a long term care facility or senior's home.  People going back to work is not putting those elderly people at risk.  They need to be better protected by following the advice of Dr. Bonnie Henry.  I have no idea what they are doing in those long term care facilities.  Maybe the government should find out what their protocols are in how they deal with their patients and residents.  Maybe an investigation needs to be done.  Why are there so many outbreaks in these places?  That question needs to be answered.  If my parents were in a long term care home I would do everything humanly possible to try and protect them, so I would be the first one asking these questions.

Very well said EP, we have learned a lot about this pandemic in the last couple of months while we sat basically in hiding because there was so many unknowns. 

Most of the province is in check and pretty much all of the outbreaks are under control. I am with you, if my Elderly relatives were in one of those homes, I would be taking them out of there, PRONTO, until they figured out what the heck was going on in there. 

Its all about balance and we do need to make the next step from what we have been doing the last couple of months. We needed to keep the numbers down in order not to overwhelm our health care system, we have done that. Time to take care of some of those who have sacrificed these past couple of months and look after their needs now. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, EdgarM said:

Very well said EP, we have learned a lot about this pandemic in the last couple of months while we sat basically in hiding because there was so many unknowns. 

Most of the province is in check and pretty much all of the outbreaks are under control. I am with you, if my Elderly relatives were in one of those homes, I would be taking them out of there, PRONTO, until they figured out what the heck was going on in there. 

Its all about balance and we do need to make the next step from what we have been doing the last couple of months. We needed to keep the numbers down in order not to overwhelm our health care system, we have done that. Time to take care of some of those who have sacrificed these past couple of months and look after their needs now. 

"We have done that" makes it sound like "mission accomplished" when, really, this is an ongoing saga.

Not "in hiding"....protecting ourselves.  

The last line confuses me....who are "those who have sacrificed" and what are "their needs"?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

"We have done that" makes it sound like "mission accomplished" when, really, this is an ongoing saga.

The last line confuses me....who are "those who have sacrificed" and what are "their needs"?

The last two posts made me facepalm hard. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Very well said my friend, couldn't have said it any better myself...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is an going issue which has no immediate end any time soon. Our top priority in the beginning was to protect EVERYONE, as we knew very little. Now that we know who is most vulnerable, how many are affected in our area(BC) and what methods we need to do to protect ourselves we now have some idea of what we are looking at. 

Not "mission accomplished" but learn and move on. Yes protecting ourselves but we knew very little in the beginning so it was like  "in hiding" because of the "Unknowns".

People who have lost their jobs and who knows what else I would say have sacrificed. Basic necessities, mental health, a place to live, food are a few "needs" I can think of off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1

To ruin the life of every young person out there and their future because somebody's parents might die if I decide to go outside?

This is a bit dramatic..."every"?  Most young people I know are just fine and are making the best of a bad situation.  With all due respect, Petey...this is a little whiney because you can still do a whole lot of things.  "Life is ruined" for young people?  Visit a children's hospital cancer ward then put it into perspective.

I watched as my 6 year old little buddy Jackson was carried in to the house after chemo.  That's worth crying over.

Are we supposed to wait for a vaccine before we can leave the house? 

No one said this?  Everyone can leave their house...we're just being asked to be careful and take precautions.  

It's a bit of an exaggerated stance you're taking.

Life will go on, just not for the 140.    So try to have respect for those who have died rather than just using them as a number to prove a point with.  Those are human beings, each and every one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Hmm...not sure right now whether I'd be rushing to take someone out of a care home as in BC I think now they are a reasonably safe place to be.  I think there is more risk to have older people out in the general population as I'd be worried sick about being exposed to the virus and bringing it home to my family, older people especially.  I'd think differently if I were in Ont or Que.  Their handling of the outbreaks in senior's residences is nothing short of a national tragedy.  

I don't think we can stay in the "physically isolate, stay home and don't be around anyone you don't live with", not sustainable for several reasons.  The longer that expectation is in place with a very low infection/death rate, the more people will throw caution to the wind and break the "rules".  Business's need to reopen to survive as many of them still have expenses to pay even without revenue coming in.  Families need to start earning money again where they are still employed.   A slow and controlled move towards more contacts seems to make sense as it gives an opportunity to pull back should the infection rate jump.  Capability for significant increases in testing is in place, that should help with any potential spread should there be increasing levels of infection.  

We all look at this situation through the lens of our personal circumstances and that makes it unlikely we'd arrive at consensus.  Some have significantly more risk, people like me have very little.  I don't think there is a perfect answer, so all I can say is stay safe everyone!  My hope all along has been that at the end of this mess, the people in my life that I care about are all still healthy.  

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is an going issue which has no immediate end any time soon.

but learn and move on.

Yes protecting ourselves but we knew very little in the beginning so it was like  "in hiding" because of the "Unknowns".

You're all over the map.

How can we learn/move on from something that we're in the middle of?  With no immediate end time?  We are learning and, hopefully, we can move on slowly and at a pace that doesn't devastate and overwhelm us.  Learning means we've seen what happens when people aren't being careful.

There are still too many unknowns.  They're just, now, discovering how this virus shows up in children (much differently).  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're all over the map.

How can we learn/move on from something that we're in the middle of?  With no immediate end time.

There are still too many unknowns.  They're just, now, discovering how this virus shows up in children (much differently).  

Yes thats why I said "This is an going issue which has no immediate end any time soon". We can't stay stuck in first gear with this. We know more then we did 2 months ago and so we should use that to our advantage moving forward. Just like Skategal said " I don't think we can stay in the "physically isolate, stay home and don't be around anyone you don't live with", not sustainable for several reasons." Yes there are "unknowns" but at the same time there are now "knowns" I mentioned earlier. 

The issue with children is a rarety at this point in time and time will tell what more can be learned about it. It remains to be seen if its going to morf into something worse where it starts causing deaths in that age category as well.

Hopefully teachers are not asked to pay for and provide PPE to all students and themselves.

Hopefully teachers are not asked to pay for hand sanititzer and soap for all their students 

Do nurses have to pay for PPE for their patients and buy hospital supplies from various stores to bring with them on their shifts ?

Too bad Horgan did not promise increased budget for the need of  higher levels of cleaning in the schools. 

My neighbours wifes school has no day time janitor since the cutbacks 10 years ago.  Teachers  clean up the puke or admin does.....

Things need to really change in our BC  schools.  Clean and safe is long overdue. 

#BrokenBC 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

People are also regurgitating excuses like:  suicide, depression rates, etc.  I'd like to see stats/facts to support that.

In fact:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/japan-suicides-fall-sharply-as-covid-19-lockdown-causes-shift-in-stress-factors

There are two sides to that and stress/fatigue/depression, perhaps, can be improved upon with a slower pace that allows time to breathe.  Money isn't everything and now, more than ever, those struggling to make it will have extra help.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, EdgarM said:

Yes thats why I said "This is an going issue which has no immediate end any time soon". We can't stay stuck in first gear with this. We know more then we did 2 months ago and so we should use that to our advantage moving forward. Just like Skategal said " I don't think we can stay in the "physically isolate, stay home and don't be around anyone you don't live with", not sustainable for several reasons." Yes there are "unknowns" but at the same time there are now "knowns" I mentioned earlier. 

The issue with children is a rarety at this point in time and time will tell what more can be learned about it. It remains to be seen if its going to morf into something worse where it starts causing deaths in that age category as well.

I don't think you have any idea and are just impatient.

Not going to bother because you're clearly not that informed and are cherry picking.  Listen to the experts, who are exercising caution in a very slow move forward.

Can't stay stuck in first...no.  Also can't go from zero to a hundred.

We do know more THAN we did...but the issue with children is just surfacing.  It's a "rarity" because it's likely just being exposed for what it is.

Pace yourself.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This graph indicates that young people have been dying of Covid, so that part is not a new thing. Yes the young deaths are a very small number, but what I have not seen is just how messed up, long term, the survivors are.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

We are collecting and analyzing the data from all US States. In the meantime, below we show the data provided by New York City Health as of May 13, 2020:

Number of Deaths Share of deaths With underlying conditions Without underlying conditions Unknown if with underlying cond. Share of deaths
of unknown + w/o cond.
0 - 17 years old
0.06%
0.02%
18 - 44 years old
3.9%
0.8%
45 - 64 years old
22.4%
3.7%
65 - 74 years old
24.9%
6.5%
75+ years old
48.7%
14.3%
TOTAL
100%
11,370 (75%)
99 (0.7%)
1,551 (24.7%)
25.3%
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think you have any idea and are just impatient.

Not going to bother because you're clearly not that informed and are cherry picking.  Listen to the experts, who are exercising caution in a very slow move forward.

Can't stay stuck in first...no.  Also can't go from zero to a hundred.

We do know more THAN we did...but the issue with children is just surfacing.  It's a "rarity" because it's likely just being exposed for what it is.

Pace yourself.  

Talk about being all over the map your starting to sound like our favorite politician from the south. LOL. 

I agree with Dr. Henry going from phase 1 to phase 2, if that's going from "zero to hundred" then I guess that's my bad. ::D

• Wat 2

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Talk about being all over the map your starting to sound like our favorite politician from the south. LOL. 

I agree with Dr. Henry going from phase 1 to phase 2, if that's going from "zero to hundred" then I guess that's my bad. ::D

Hopefully teachers are not asked to pay for and provide PPE to all students and themselves.

Hopefully teachers are not asked to pay for hand sanititzer and soap for all their students 

Do nurses have to pay for PPE for their patients and buy hospital supplies from various stores to bring with them on their shifts ?

Too bad Horgan did not promise increased budget for the need of  higher levels of cleaning in the schools. 

My neighbours wifes school has no day time janitor since the cutbacks 10 years ago.  Teachers  clean up the puke or admin does.....

Things need to really change in our   BC  schools.  Clean and safe is long overdue.   Fund the system properly BC Politicians....

#BrokenBC 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Try a little harder to come up with something.

Trump's more in the line of thinking of open'er up...good to go.  That's not my stance. 

"You're".   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Things need to really change in our BC  schools.  Clean and safe is long overdue. 

#BrokenBC 

There are "health and safety" rules that need to be followed and I am sure the Union will ensure these measures are in place and "safety equipment" is not the responsibility of the employee as part of employment. The employer will be responsible that all safety measures are put in place and this includes providing safety equipment to its employees.

• Haha 1