The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

28 minutes ago, Me_ said:

“There are 6.1 million people aged over 75 in the French population, 61 percent of whom are women. Among this number, 25 percent live alone, 50 percent no longer have an active friendship network and 41 percent have little or no contact with their children”

So...

75% don’t live alone

50% still have an active friendship

59% have contact with children.

Most elderly live in the home they own, with their adult children and their grand children.

According to Eurostats.  French household is just over 1 person on average. Dark orange 1 per, light orange  2. blue 3-5. red 6.  France has been a nuclear society for a while.  

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 11.02.07.png

Edited by samurai
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Are young healthy people dying at such an alarming rate that the whole Countries economy needs to be run into the toilet, suicide rates and mental illness needs to go up, people sitting at home becoming even more stressed and unhealthy?   You know people die for many reasons every day, and it's not being driven in to your head right now in the media so you don't give a damn about it.   

IT’S SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT MASS DEATH.

Why don’t you take a break from thinking bud. You’re burning grey matter right now.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

We know who is really in danger with this, and that is those who are 60 years or older, FACT

We know who is likely to be hospitalized with this virus, 60 year old's or older, FACTSl

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Oh I'm sorry are we New Yorkers posting here? I thought we were talking about people in this Country and more specific, those that live in our own Province. My bad. ::D

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Those likely to be hospitalized or are in real danger of this pandemic are those in our population who are 60 or over? I would sure love to be a teenager again at this moment. 

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't know why the argument with this but going back to facts that we CURRENTLY know, tells us that those who are more adversely affected are those who are older in age and have 1 or more underlying conditions. We have known this for a long time. Yes people in the 40-49 are in danger too but the number is not as great as those who are older. 

31 minutes ago, gurn said:

People between 40-49 have died. Death seems like danger to me.

The issue is you  were stating" facts", that are not facts.

Now, with your last post you finally acknowledge that people under 60 are in danger too.

I hope my work here is now done? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

So why are they ending shutdown and allowing kids back to school?  To induce mass death?  

It’s really, really, really hard to keep it civil with you and not rip you into shreds and then get kicked out.

No one is ending shutdowns in Canada. Provinces are attempting to reopen and if it goes bad, it’ll shut down again.

And no, so far reopening isn’t going well at all.

70 cases in children after French schools open

40% hike in cases after Georgia reopened

169 new cases after South Korea reopens its nightclubs

30% more cases after Germany reopens

Some communities in America have seen cases go up 1,000%. 

Reopening doesn’t work and it’s going to have to be closed down again.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Relax ted.

So basically what you're saying is we'll need to shutdown until there is a vaccine?  

No. 

But to think we should reopen as normal is as asinine as closing it down until there’s a vaccine.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

The issue is you  were stating" facts", that are not facts.

Now, with your last post you finally acknowledge that people under 60 are in danger too.

I hope my work here is now done? 

I think you are forgetting there are variances in the degree of "Danger". Everyone is susceptible yes, is everyone on the same plane as far as being in danger of dying? Nope, there are factors which should make you more worried for your life.

This is not black and white stuff here and if you are just doing this so you can say you won an argument ,then fill your boots. 

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Soooo what are you suggesting we should do?  

Trial and error in all sectors.

Can’t shut it down ad vitam eternam, can’t fully reopen it either.

At this current stage, if a service is deemed non essential, it shouldn’t be reopened; ice-cream, human and pet grooming...

If a service is deemed essential and self-distancing is possible, try reopening to see if it works; grocery stores...

If a service is deemed essential but self-distancing is not possible, it should be reconfigured fast to keep it open; power plants, hospitals...

If a location is deemed non-essential but self-distancing is natural, then these places can probably be reopened; parks, golf courses...

If you’re in a small town, that town is more likely able to reopen until Janice goes to the bingo hall in the other town and brings Covid back with her.

Big cities are a massive problem. From residential hallways high above ground, to vertical one-way boxes going up and down, to overcrowded sidewalks, to many, many people not giving a flying F about others because THEIR problems are greater than the death and carnage this disease brings; like getting their lattes on time.

Now I ain’t saying there’s anything wrong with being on time, latte in hand. 

What I’m saying is, it is now a somewhat distant goal to attain again as a society as more pressing needs become more evident.

Ebb and flow. Trial and error.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Is the virus going to go away?  Or do we just open, reopen, open, reopen until vaccine time? 

You got it. Took a while.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No I got it the first time, just need clarification.  So school opens in September, kids back to school, parents back to work.  Kid goes down sick, time to shutdown the school, those kids need someone watching them, parents have to quit job?  

YEAH.

There’s no way out of this. 

Are you saying let herd immunity on this NOVEL disease play itself out?

What is your argument exactly?

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

What confuses me the most is that we are winning, and 80% of our workforce is working...…..

Now I am all for other workers returning to work, "IF" proper protection can be applied, and "IF" there is a need for that worker

But, I am not in favor of sports that are in close contact, aka hockey, where the biggest concern is that Billionaires and Millionaires

are starving and/or loosing money! Come on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No I got it the first time, just need clarification.  So school opens in September, kids back to school, parents back to work.  Kid goes down sick, time to shutdown the school, those kids need someone watching them, parents have to quit job?  

So what did they do before Covid?  go to school while sick and infect all the kids?  I'm sure the parents have some sort of arrangement.  Same thing at work.  I can tell you, the attitudes about going to school or work while sick are changing fast.

I can see both sides of the back to school this June experiment.  But some of those that are concerned here on this forum are actually in the school system and know more than you or I about how kids behave in class.

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The sick and old should get the utmost attention right now.  

I would love for everyone to be safe, but opening, reopening, opening etc etc is not logical.  It's not a switch you can keep turning on and off.

Nope. It’s not a switch.

But that’s how it’s going to be by de facto of not having any other choice.

Are you suggesting that a Covid struck environment should stay open?

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If there's an outbreak of 5 kids it's easy to handle.  Shutting down a whole school of 600 kids is a different story

This is a pandemic; not an epidemic.

In an epidemic, there are 5 kids infected, it’s easy to handle indeed.

In a pandemic, those five kids, for weeks, will have infected other kids who become asymptomatic and will get sick later on in weeks and will have infected some family members, who then went to work and infected others.

Thats what you’re not getting.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, samurai said:

40,000 schools opened.   I bet lower income hoods where the infections occurred as well.

So do poor lives lost count for less than if rich people die of covid....

What does income have to do with the severity  of the issue. Covid virus  could care less about the size of your wallet....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 2

China's Global Times says Trump response to COVID-19 pandemic is 'witchcraft'

Tue 19 May 2020 02:40:56 GMT

Editor-in-chief of the Global Times in response to US President Trump claiming he is taking the anti-malaria drug against the coronavirus 

Editor-in-chief of the Global Times in response to US President Trump claiming he is taking the anti-malaria drug against the coronavirus 
Watching the GT is reasonable way to track US-China tensions. Not looking good right now. 

GT editor is regarded as a mouth piece for the Chinese government.
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

From twitter

Can’t blame BC teachers for being skeptical of opening schools in the middle of a worldwide pandemic when no promise has been given of increased custodial time, no masks, gloves, no classroom modifications, no ventilation improvements, not even a bottle of Purell!

• Upvote 2