The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well to be fair, BC (5M) does not have the same population as Ontario (14.4M) and not nearly as dense as some cities (like Toronto).  A better comparison would be AB (4.3M).

You do realize that Alberta schools are closed till Sept... right ?

Pretty much every province has closed schools till Sept.

Just the 2 provinces that pay teachers lowest wages in Canada have sent teachers back to work in June with no PPE 

Coincidence ?    Next election Horgan is gone.... Dr. Bonnie started out well but the last few weeks , her performance ( mixed messages on isolation and expanding personal bubble.... )  has been terrible....

#brokenBC 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

Well to be fair, BC (5M) does not have the same population as Ontario (14.4M) and not nearly as dense as some cities (like Toronto).  A better comparison would be AB (4.3M).

the risk is somewhat low, but I don't see the point of taking the risk at all.  It was tough job starting distance learning from scratch and now that it's filling the gap, why not just stick with it to the fall and go from there?  With possible new symptoms showing in kids, why take the chance?

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 4

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

You do realize that Alberta schools are closed till Sept... right ?

Pretty much every province has closed schools till Sept.

Just the 2 provinces that pay teachers lowest wages in Canada have sent teachers back to work in June with no PPE 

Coincidence ?    Next election Horgan is gone.... Dr. Bonnie started out well but the last few weeks , her performance has been terrible....

#brokenBC 

Honestly, I thought BC schools would be closed until September.  Not up to date with AB.  Had discussion with my wife and we (I got over ruled...lol ::D) are electing to not send our kids back to school on June 1st because we are both able to work from home (ensuring at least 1 parent is at home with the young ones).  Not many parents are able to do so and are feeling the pinch.

PPE should be a requirement and supplied by the schools.  Any good company has already had PPE policies in place and have it readily available for their employees.  Schools should be no different.  Kids should wear masks supplied by their parents.

Whether it is right or wrong, I don't know.  But Dr. Bonnie seems to have a good head on her shoulder so far.  So I'm inclined to let her see the plan through.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

It looks like most provinces have decided to keep students and schools staff safe.

Why do most provinces see it as not SAFE ... yet BC is willing to roll the dice....

Coincidence that 2 provinces in Canada that pay the teachers the least.... both send them back into a pandemic without PPE.

#Broken BC.

Shame on Horgan and Dr. Bonnie who are putting lives at risk for 8 days of  modified...... elementary school in June .

Ontario schools will stay closed until the end of the school year #BCed https://apple.news/ADys5qqm_Sq-kGZJ_iwx40A #bced

dear god, please stop. These folks have run a leadership master class through all this. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dear god, please stop. These folks have run a leadership master class through all this. 

80,000 cases in Covid so far in Canada.

You need to start paying attention instead of watching your fav just call Saul episodes.....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

the risk is somewhat low, but I don't see the point of taking the risk at all.  It was tough job starting distance learning from scratch and now that it's filling the gap, why not just stick with it to the fall and go from there?  With possible new symptoms showing in kids, why take the chance?

There is risk in everything.  There is no such thing as no risk.

So what would be different between June 1st (with very less children in class) vs Sept 1st (mandatory attendance will all children .. albeit staggered and different days in class)?  3 months will not make the virus go away.  A vaccine will most likely not be developed in time before school starts up in September.

The take away I get from schools re-opening in June vs Sept is that they can hopefully get all the bugs worked out so that once September rolls around, they are not in panic mode to fix it.  Sort of like a soft opening of a new restaurant before their Grand opening.

New symptoms in kids (I think you are talking about the hyper inflammation thing) affects an extremely small %.  And yes it really sucks for any kids to get it.  The only way to stop that would be online and home schooling until a cure is found.  And as our society is currently set up, that is not a feasible solution.  Perhaps that would work if we are able to be a single income families once more.  But more than likely, the majority of families are 2 income just to get by without undue hardships.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

There is risk in everything.  There is no such thing as no risk.

So what would be different between June 1st (with very less children in class) vs Sept 1st (mandatory attendance will all children .. albeit staggered and different days in class)?  3 months will not make the virus go away.  A vaccine will most likely not be developed in time before school starts up in September.

The take away I get from schools re-opening in June vs Sept is that they can hopefully get all the bugs worked out so that once September rolls around, they are not in panic mode to fix it.  Sort of like a soft opening of a new restaurant before their Grand opening.

New symptoms in kids (I think you are talking about the hyper inflammation thing) affects an extremely small %.  And yes it really sucks for any kids to get it.  The only way to stop that would be online and home schooling until a cure is found.  And as our society is currently set up, that is not a feasible solution.  Perhaps that would work if we are able to be a single income families once more.  But more than likely, the majority of families are 2 income just to get by without undue hardships.

the difference is knowledge and experience with this virus.  We still don't know much about it and are discovering new things every day.  By September, I expect they'll have better information about how it affects people of all ages, likely more advanced treatments of symptoms etc. 

Reports of new symptoms showing in kids is disturbing and until they know more, they shouldn't take the risk, imo.  Kids aren't lab rats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

Honestly, I thought BC schools would be closed until September.  Not up to date with AB.  Had discussion with my wife and we (I got over ruled...lol ::D) are electing to not send our kids back to school on June 1st because we are both able to work from home (ensuring at least 1 parent is at home with the young ones).  Not many parents are able to do so and are feeling the pinch.

PPE should be a requirement and supplied by the schools.  Any good company has already had PPE policies in place and have it readily available for their employees.  Schools should be no different.  Kids should wear masks supplied by their parents.

Whether it is right or wrong, I don't know.  But Dr. Bonnie seems to have a good head on her shoulder so far.  So I'm inclined to let her see the plan through.

I have really liked and appreciated  Dr. Bonnie since this pandemic started,  but I don't agree on sending the kids back to School for such a short time, it is a risk our family will not take.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

the difference is knowledge and experience with this virus.  We still don't know much about it and are discovering new things every day.  By September, I expect they'll have better information about how it affects people of all ages, likely more advanced treatments of symptoms etc. 

Reports of new symptoms showing in kids is disturbing and until they know more, they shouldn't take the risk, imo.  Kids aren't lab rats

So what happens if they still don't have a vaccine by September?  Kids still don't go to school?

Arguably the best active MMA fighter on the planet looks like he is going to lose his dad.

He's already lost other family members. His dad is very respected as a Martial artist and coach. He builds champions. 

Even his arch rival, the loud mouth Irish kid has sent kind wishes.

This is a tough disease. 

Deaths mounting in Dagestan - Khabib Nurmagomedov

https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/52728677

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

I have really liked and appreciated  Dr. Bonnie since this pandemic started,  but I don't agree on sending the kids back to School for such a short time, it is a risk our family will not take.  

As it has been stated, going back to school in June is voluntary.  It is up to the parents to decide for their kids.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BPA said:

So what happens if they still don't have a vaccine by September?  Kids still don't go to school?

I didn't say anything about a vaccine.

Kids will be going part time starting in September, but it's not voluntary........unless there's a second spike.  Whats the point of risking it, now, for 4 weeks?  There won't be any learning done anyway, minimal at best.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

80,000 cases in Covid so far in Canada.

You need to start paying attention instead of watching your fav just call Saul episodes.....

You need to pay attention apparently. He was to referring to the provincial leaders that you referenced (Horgan and Dr. Henry)...  BC is doing much better than Quebec and Ontario, where most of those 80k cases are concentrated. Not sure why the national numbers discredit the job that Horgan and Dr. Henry have done.

45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dr. Bonnie started out well but the last few weeks , her performance ( mixed messages on isolation and expanding personal bubble.... )  has been terrible....

I tend to agree kofs, they were doing really, really well with this unprecedented situation.  It now looks like they're just caving into pressure from the business community and risking other sectors (education) as a result. 

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed.  They basically have told teachers (from what my friends wife tells me who teaches in the lower mainland) to kill time for 5 weeks.  Just when classroom teachers had gotten into a groove with this whole distance learning concept they change game and tell them to teach both kids who show up and kids who stay home.  If they'd just closed schools until summer it would have given everyone (government, educators, scientists, medical doctors) time to formulate a plan for Sept.  It looks like a pressured decision to appease the business community - but what does the business community do all summer when kids aren't in school anyway - it finds a way, no? 

36 minutes ago, BPA said:

100% agree BPA.   Providing PPE should be required by the employer and WorkSafe BC should be enforcing this. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I mostly agree Jimmy, but the past week or so, ever since the re-opening announcement last Wed and the announcement that schools are re-opening, has me wondering if they're succumbing to the 'peer pressure' that is most definitely amping up, and we all know that the best decisions are never made under duress.  The schools re-opening issue is of particular concern as it's our most precious resource they're taking chances with - children.  This (and far worse, is exactly what I'm worried about): 

https://www.businessinsider.com/70-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-after-french-schools-begin-reopening-2020-5

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'm not comfortable with them using our children for the next 5 weeks as 'guinea pigs' - sorry, I'm not down with that one bit.  

Edited by Fanuck
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't say anything about a vaccine.

Kids will be going part time starting in September, but it's not voluntary........unless there's a second spike.  Whats the point of risking it, now, for 4 weeks?  There won't be any learning done anyway, minimal at best.

Unfortunately (at this time) the point is not getting the kids education done/completed/finished for the remainder of this school year.  It plainly obvious it is to jumpstart the economy.  And the side benefit to work out bugs before full enrollment in September.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I tend to agree kofs, they were doing really, really well with this unprecedented situation.  It now looks like they're just caving into pressure from the business community and risking other sectors (education) as a result. 

Agreed.  They basically have told teachers (from what my friends wife tells me who teaches in the lower mainland) to kill time for 5 weeks.  Just when classroom teachers had gotten into a groove with this whole distance learning concept they change game and tell them to teach both kids who show up and kids who stay home.  If they'd just closed schools until summer it would have given everyone (government, educators, scientists, medical doctors) time to formulate a plan for Sept.  It looks like a pressured decision to appease the business community - but what does the business community do all summer when kids aren't in school anyway - it finds a way, no? 

100% agree BPA.   Providing PPE should be required by the employer and WorkSafe BC should be enforcing this. 

I mostly agree Jimmy, but the past week or so, ever since the re-opening announcement last Wed and the announcement that schools are re-opening, has me wondering if they're succumbing to the 'peer pressure' that is most definitely amping up, and we all know that the best decisions are never made under duress.  The schools re-opening issue is of particular concern as it's our most precious resource they're taking chances with - children.  This (and far worse, is exactly what I'm worried about): 

https://www.businessinsider.com/70-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-after-french-schools-begin-reopening-2020-5

I'm not comfortable with them using our children for the next 5 weeks as 'guinea pigs' - sorry, I'm not down with that one bit.  

it's going to be like herding cats trying to keep kids apart

I don't see the logic of holding off until September, using the summer to develop a well thought out plan and then get classrooms ready etc.  Right now, it feels incredibly rushed and the admin are having to try and set up all the classrooms in the school etc.  My school is an elementary of 500 kids and about 50 staff, with 2 admin having to go in over the next 10 days and setup 25 classrooms.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Aren't they going to be "guinea pigs" come September?

This Covid-19 is unprecedented.  So any plan will be brand new.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Unfortunately (at this time) the point is not getting the kids education done/completed/finished for the remainder of this school year.  It plainly obvious it is to jumpstart the economy.  And the side benefit to work out bugs before full enrollment in September.

so money is more important than kids?  Kids don't go to school in the summer, why does it work then and not now?

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1