The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Aren't they going to be "guinea pigs" come September?

This Covid-19 is unprecedented.  So any plan will be brand new.

I should put in a caveat that despite my feelings about it being foolish at this point, I miss our kids very much and do look forward to seeing them again.  It's because I care about them so much that I don't want to go back........they are my family and I don't want to see them at risk.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

so money is more important than kids?  Kids don't go to school in the summer, why does it work then and not now?

I guess that is what Premier Horgan has decided...yes the economy is a must.

Kids don't go to school in summer and parents will have to find a way to deal with that.  Summer camps may be open by then in a much smaller capacity.  I don't know.  But like I said, some parents are already feeling the pinch.  And Canada debt continues to grow as they hand out cheques to stop the bleeding of the recession/unemployment/etc.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Unfortunately (at this time) the point is not getting the kids education done/completed/finished for the remainder of this school year.  It plainly obvious it is to jumpstart the economy.  And the side benefit to work out bugs before full enrollment in September.

There's a valid argument that you don't need schools open to jumpstart the economy because kids aren't in school all summer and the economy runs just fine. 

Furthermore, there's every reason to believe that pre-schools/daycares opening up (yes, I realize they were never 'forced' to close, but so many of them did anyway that it has a huge impact), is in fact more important to the economy than schools but they won't force them to do anything because they can't control them - they sure can control teachers though......

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

I guess that is what Premier Horgan has decided...yes the economy is a must.

Kids don't go to school in summer and parents will have to find a way to deal with that.  Summer camps may be open by then in a much smaller capacity.  I don't know.  But like I said, some parents are already feeling the pinch.  And Canada debt continues to grow as they hand out cheques to stop the bleeding of the recession/unemployment/etc.

and well they should

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

There's a valid argument that you don't need schools open to jumpstart the economy because kids aren't in school all summer and the economy runs just fine. 

Furthermore, there's every reason to believe that pre-schools/daycares opening up (yes, I realize they were never 'forced' to close, but so many of them did anyway that it has a huge impact), is in fact more important to the economy than schools but they won't force them to do anything because they can't control them - they sure can control teachers though......

I would make the argument that due to the shutdown, that "summer came early" and the economy was fine because businesses and families have adapted.  What you are suggesting is that it be a "long summer of basically of 5 months".  Something that has never happened before.  Will the economy be just fine with the additional months??

As the economy is getting to re-start, many people (hopefully) will get their jobs back (re-hired).  If they have children, then they need them to be cared for.  And yes...the by product of kids going to school is that they are essentially cared for (looked after) for 6 hours a day and 5 times a week.  That is how our society is.

I don't profess to know all the answers, but I can see both sides of this argument of re-opening schools in June.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I would make the argument that due to the shutdown, that "summer came early" and the economy was fine because businesses and families have adapted.  What you are suggesting is that it be a "long summer of basically of 5 months".  Something that has never happened before.  Will the economy be just fine with the additional months??

As the economy is getting to re-start, many people (hopefully) will get their jobs back (re-hired).  If they have children, then they need them to be cared for.  And yes...the by product of kids going to school is that they are essentially cared for (looked after) for 6 hours a day and 5 times a week.  That is how our society is.

I don't profess to know all the answers, but I can see both sides of this argument of re-opening schools in June.

We're seeing the birth of a new economy.  Businesses that have adapted have survived and will continue to survive.  Those that didn't, or won't adapt will not survived. 

Back on education, I agree we have to get back to face to face education, but only when we are armed with more info.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/coronavirus/70-cases-of-covid-19-at-french-schools-days-after-reopening-1.4943908

We're not being given PPE, were not being tested at all, let alone daily or weekly.  How do we know we're not opening the door to the second wave?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"fear is more deadly than the virus" might actually apply to Trump. He's so afraid now that he admits (assuming he's not lying) that he's taking a high risk drug thats proven to be ineffective. If thats not a result of fear I don't know what it is. 

Is fear or is it greed?

Mr President has been pushing that drug for quite a while now. 

It’s hard not to believe that he stands to profit from his tireless promotion efforts. That guy never does anything unless there’s something in it for himself.

Trump the shameless, never projects fear and always acts as though he is above it all.

If he really is afraid, that would really be something. It’s food for thought.

• Upvote 2

Sweden, more bad news:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/sweden-tops-europe-covid-19-deaths-per-capita-over-last-seven-days/ar-BB14jrDB?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) -- Sweden, which has opted for a more open strategy in combating the virus than other European countries, has the highest number of deaths in Europe per capita from the COVID-19 disease over the last seven days, data showed.

Sweden has kept most schools, restaurant and businesses open during the pandemic. While deaths are on the decline Sweden had 6.25 deaths per million inhabitants per day in a rolling seven day average between May 12 and May 19, according to Ourworldinsata.org. That was the highest in Europe and just above the United Kingdom, which had 5.75 deaths per million.

Advertisement

Over the course of the pandemic Sweden still has fewer deaths per capita than the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Belgium and France, which have all opted for lockdowns, but much higher than Nordic neighbours Denmark, Norway and Finland.

Sweden's strategy, mostly based on voluntary measures regarding social distancing and basic hygiene, has been criticised by some as a dangerous experiment with peoples lives but also been put forward as a future model by the WHO.

Sweden's open strategy seems to have softened the blow on the economy, with growth shrinking much less than in Denmark and Norway in the first quarter.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

We're seeing the birth of a new economy.  Businesses that have adapted have survived and will continue to survive.  Those that didn't, or won't adapt will not survived. 

Back on education, I agree we have to get back to face to face education, but only when we are armed with more info.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/coronavirus/70-cases-of-covid-19-at-french-schools-days-after-reopening-1.4943908

We're not being given PPE, were not being tested at all, let alone daily or weekly.  How do we know we're not opening the door to the second wave?

I agree that PPE should be provided as well as screening (ie. temperature guns).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Timbermen said:

I just learned it's all been discredited because it turns out she's a neo nazi KKK leader that is doing Trump's bidding. I've heard numerous doctors say that it works for Covid 19, these are doctors that have used it on patients and seen it with their own eyes. It has been used to successfully treat Malaria for the past 60 years. The only people i've heard disparage it was Pinnochio and his CNN buddy's..

Oh, I thought you wanted to discuss the merits of this doctor? I see by this response, and the fact that you didn't quote me, this isn't the case. Perhaps you were looking something to appease your confirmation bias? If so just stick to the comment section of her you tube videos. Fair warning though. It consists of a ragtag conglomeration of conspiracy nuts ready to march on Washington with their tinfoil hats, AR-15's, and unvaccinated children in hand. Who else will save us from the evil MSM? 

The fact of the matter is there isn't really that much info on her but I did find that the last paper she was involved with was retracted due to "the discovery of significant errors relating to the method and presentation of results." 

https://retractionwatch.com/2017/08/15/paper-extremely-flawed-journal-retracts-paper-heavy-criticism/

Due to what I could find on her I will take anything she says with a grain of salt. But you do you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Temp guns don't mean much for asymptomatic carriers though.

Not sure what the protocol is for schools but I would hope/think kids would not be sent to school if someone in the household has confirmed Covid-19.  As most likely anyone in that household would surely be affected.  A bit different if you may have come in contact with someone with confirmed case of Covid-19 but don't live with them.  Then it's self monitoring instead of self isolation (from the date of contact).

• Upvote 1