The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

it wasn't fear mondgering, in any way.  It was taking a cautious approach in the face of a highly infectious virus that they knew nothing about.  We can see what happens when an undisciplined approach is taken.........you get Italy, Spain and now the piece de resistance, 'Murca. 

anyone who cites the low numbers in BC/Canada as proof positive that the virus wasn't as bad as they predicted really isn't worth arguing with because they simply aren't very bright.

They are being disingenuous at best.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

That’s still off by 1.2 million and it’s because they’re really dumb lol

that's based on the current rate of infection and deaths.  Lets see what happens in the next two months.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Okay fair enough, so the government’s don’t release any projections because of their lack of understanding of this virus. So how do you get the public to listen to a lockdown? How do you make the public understand it’s necessary and not start revolting and protesting without projections and showing the public probable/possible outcomes?

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/covid-19-case-modelling-projection-april-28.pdf

When they put out projections like this, it doesn't inspire confidence. This is updated to less than a month ago. Check out the last 2 slides of expected hospitalizations and ICUs. The actual amounts are not even close to the revised projections.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Well, are you saying that they purposely inflated the numbers to make sure people would listen?  I'd rather not be lied to by the government, or by anybody for that matter.  

Regardless, they were wrong, terribly wrong.  The virus isn't nearly as bad as people thought and I believe that was one of my points

Yet we’re seeing countries around the world being devastated by this virus? What makes Canadians so different? Your argument about it not being that bad is that Canada didn’t get hit very hard, without taking into account any other country that is gripped by this virus. How is what is happening around the world not proof enough of the severity of this virus? We’re not special here in Canada, we’re not more immune than the rest of the world.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

ThisAlberta argument stemmed off from many of my other points.  I'm not saying it's not serious and we don't need to do anything.  Sorry it's just hard getting so many different replies from different people.  These things begin to branch off and my initial point disappears 

Fair enough, I agree those projections are off base by a large margin. I just don’t see any legitimate reason for them to fear monger, they were wrong by a wide margin but they gain nothing by fear mongering and shutting down the economy IMO 

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

80,000 cases in Covid so far in Canada.

You need to start paying attention instead of watching your fav just call Saul episodes.....

Season 5 was fantastic.

You just make stuff up no one said, and proceed to get upset about it for page after page. Can you imagine if Horgan and Henry were running things that way? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Is fear or is it greed?

the fact that people have to ask that is the problem. And yet, even here in Canada we see the Trump apologists trot out explanations trying to justify it. Pathetic. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I tend to agree kofs, they were doing really, really well with this unprecedented situation.  It now looks like they're just caving into pressure from the business community and risking other sectors (education) as a result. 

Agreed.  They basically have told teachers (from what my friends wife tells me who teaches in the lower mainland) to kill time for 5 weeks.  Just when classroom teachers had gotten into a groove with this whole distance learning concept they change game and tell them to teach both kids who show up and kids who stay home.  If they'd just closed schools until summer it would have given everyone (government, educators, scientists, medical doctors) time to formulate a plan for Sept.  It looks like a pressured decision to appease the business community - but what does the business community do all summer when kids aren't in school anyway - it finds a way, no? 

100% agree BPA.   Providing PPE should be required by the employer and WorkSafe BC should be enforcing this. 

I mostly agree Jimmy, but the past week or so, ever since the re-opening announcement last Wed and the announcement that schools are re-opening, has me wondering if they're succumbing to the 'peer pressure' that is most definitely amping up, and we all know that the best decisions are never made under duress.  The schools re-opening issue is of particular concern as it's our most precious resource they're taking chances with - children.  This (and far worse, is exactly what I'm worried about): 

https://www.businessinsider.com/70-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-after-french-schools-begin-reopening-2020-5

I'm not comfortable with them using our children for the next 5 weeks as 'guinea pigs' - sorry, I'm not down with that one bit.  

more than anyone, the BC CDC knows the numbers and the size of the risk. Its hard not to get worried about aspects of this whole thing, and worry about risks that may or may not be there depending on how they roll things out. Solid thinking and planning have brought us this far, i see no reason not to trust it further. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the fact that people have to ask that is the problem. And yet, even here in Canada we see the Trump apologists trot out explanations trying to justify it. Pathetic. 

I too noticed that the majority of people's stances on this topic fall in line with their political leanings. Disingenuous indeed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I too noticed that the majority of people's stances on this topic fall in line with their political leanings. Disingenuous indeed.

Urine man ain't no conservative.  He's only using it as means for his grifting.  He'd be an anarchist if he could make a buck out of it.

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How ironic, the guy you're talking to mentions his hate for trump 5 times a day.  

usually its more mocking how dumb or selfish a person has to be to support him, but sure. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Season 5 was fantastic.

You just make stuff up no one said, and proceed to get upset about it for page after page. Can you imagine if Horgan and Henry were running things that way? 

You have contributed nothing  on this thread.  Are there any ambulances for you to chase....

Surrey school district told all staff today....  NO PPE for surrey school staff.

Time for Doctor Bonnie to wake up and do her job.....    Stop trusting BC school districts / ministry of ed staff.

Protect teachers / staff and students.  

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You have contributed nothing  on this thread.  Are there any ambulances for you to chase....

Surrey school district told all staff today....  NO PPE for surrey school staff.

Time for Doctor Bonnie to wake up and do her job.....    Stop trusting BC school districts / ministry of ed staff.

Protect teachers / staff and students.  

:frantic:

I guess you missed the part where some kids have already been back for weeks. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/essential-service-workers-school-1.5570205

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:frantic:

I guess you missed the part where some kids have already been back for weeks. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/essential-service-workers-school-1.5570205

I guess you missed the part where essential workers classrrooms took the only room in the school with water and taps.

Or they have staffed the room with 5 adults with 5 kids....

I excuse you Jimmy because you probably zero knowledge of BC school system.   Get educated. / experienced then you and i can have an actual intelligent debate....

Right now i feel like i am debating someone with no knowledge of BC schools....

No PPE for teachers and kids in BC seems like such a horrrible decision....

The bay opened today... NO PPE and you are sent home. all workers temperature tested..

BC schools no temp test... NO PPE for staff and students...

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I guess you missed the part where essential workers classrrooms took the only room in the school with water and taps.

Or they have staffed the room with 5 adults with 5 kids....

I excuse you Jimmy because you probably zero knowledge of BC school system.   Get educated. / experienced then you and i can have an actual intelligent debate....

Right now i feel like i am debating someone with no knowledge of BC schools....

No PPE for teachers and kids in BC seems like such a horrrible decision....

Have you actually looked at the plan from BC Ed? I'm guessing.... probably not....

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/administration/program-management/safe-caring-and-orderly-schools

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Have you actually looked at the plan from BC Ed? I'm guessing.... probably not....

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/administration/program-management/safe-caring-and-orderly-schools

TBF haven’t most cases in children around the world been asymptomatic or very light symptoms? Those regulations don’t seem to account for that, and other than hand sanitizer stations it doesn’t mention anything about PPE. I dunno, seems dangerous and risky but I hope it goes well.

• Upvote 1