The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Warning: we have confirmation of a gas leak in Surrey this morning. 

You ARE the  one that consistently supports workers  returning to work in an pandemic without PPE and clients not needing masks or any PPE as well.

I wonder why you just try  to deflect the discussion. Do you find your opinion as undefendable as most people find it... ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

OK guys...let's agree to disagree and not go back/forth at each other please/thanks.

Yah, sure Deb. I will take a break from him...  go check out some other threads... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

What a load of rubbish.

Yah, ask just like motorcycles drivers should be allowed to ride on the freeway with out helmets.

NFL players should be allowed no helmets if they choose.

Both just provide a false sense of security.

LOL .    Health Canada and the WHO have lost the plot 

Health Canada is doing an exceptional job. Backed by data. They have my trust. They earned it. 

You? You think a mask is helmet. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Health Canada and WHO has advised masks and gloves can be dangerous because they give a false sense of security. Good example of that. 

Yes but if used properly, remembering that we're in the midst of a pandemic, they are a layer of protection. It's all about learning new habits.

Edited by Fan since 82
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can you break that down for me a little bit? if you were handed a plan,today, you'd need over 60 hours to prepare a classroom? or is it re-desing of content? 

Were being told that if we have any kind of symptoms to not come to work or to go home if we show symptoms at work.  Then what?  There was a severe TOC shortage before this and the majority of TOC's are retired teachers in the 60-65 age range........are they going to put themselves at risk?  If they aren't, who's going to cover classes when teachers call in sick, and that is absolutely going to happen.

What about teachers and staff who are in a high risk category and won't be returning at all?  Who will cover their classes?  I have at least three teachers in my school who will likely fall into that category.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Let's put aside the risk factor and focus on the details.

First and foremost, teachers are still working full days (and more) through distance learning, so where are these planning/prep hours going to come from?  

My district isn't even polling parents to see who is returning until May 22, so we won't even know who is coming back until later next week.  You can't plan until you know who is back.

We have no idea which students are going to be there or what their individual needs are going to be.  My guess is the most at risk, high needs students will be the most likely to return.  They are also the hardest students to keep focused and under control.  What's our strategy for trying to keep these kids apart and focused through this when they can't do it in normal circumstances?  What's the protocol for when they don't comply?  What's the protocol for multiple students not complying all at once?  We only have one full time administrator and one part-part time for a school of 500 kids.  

There's going to have to be a bathroom schedule and though that might not seem like much, that's going to be very complicated.  Again, not something that can really be done until we know which kids are returning.  The bathroom situation is going to be a big hurdle.

How are breaks going to work?  How do we keep them apart during lunch/recess?  Do we stagger breaks?  Do we have to develop a schedule breaks, are teachers giving up their recess/lunch breaks? 

Obviously the biggie is lesson planning.  It takes about 4 hours to plan and prep for a 6 hour day, when we actually have a template for a normal day.  Now, we have to start from scratch and plan for days with absolutely no idea of what we are going to be able to do.  Again, the makeup of returning students will largely dictate that and we won't know who is returning until mid-late next week.  With no template for our days, it'll be a 1:1 hour ratio for planning to implementation.  We still have to plan and teach online this week and next week.  People don't understand how much planning goes into teaching children.

Finally, we have to plan and implement two seperate days for every day.  The kids that return will need a plan and the kids staying home and distance learning will need a seperate plan..........every single day.  Right now teachers are struggling just to plan the distance learning day.  

So, no, 60 hours isn't even close to being enough.  You can't wing it for 6 hours with kids, it takes a ton of planning and prep at the best of times.  Now, we have to find ways to keep these kids busy for 6 hours a day because if they lose focus, the sh!t is going to hit the fan.

I get we'll have to return to face to face learning, but that is going to take a well thought out, detailed plan.  Were getting close to the date and there's still no plan given to the people expected to manage this return.  I get that the average person doesn't understand what goes into making schools function, but it takes hours and hours of planning and preparation at the best of times

Ultimately, I don't see the point when distance learning is bridging the gap for the time being.  It's 4 weeks, why not stick with the status quo and spend the summer putting together a detailed, well thought out, comprehensive plan that allows educators and administration the time needed to implement it properly.  On short notice it's going to be a train wreck.

You make great points. 
Refine this into a concise letter and send it in and make sure they’ve received it and have read it. 

Mark it URGENT.

Prove your point by the numerous links on how kids are at high risk of spreading the virus and the mounting evidence of what happens to them when they get it.

I like that you also can’t wait to get back in there but know we better not. That burns of compassion. 

Minister's Office

Honourable Rob Fleming
Minister of Education
PO Box 9045 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2

Send an e-mail to the Minister
Phone: 250 356-8247
Fax: 250 356-0948

Deputy Minister's Office

Scott MacDonald
Deputy Minister of Education
PO Box 9179 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9H8

Send an e-mail to the Deputy Minister
Fax: 250 953-4985

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Health Canada is doing an exceptional job. Backed by data. They have my trust. They earned it. 

You? You think a mask is helmet. 

Both are for protection. 

The NFL Players Association’s medical director on Monday said the NFL and equipment company Oakley are working on developing a facemask that contains surgical or N95 material in an effort to better protect players from the coronavirus when they return to the playing field.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/football/nfl-developing-facemasks-with-surgical-n95-material-report/wcm/8d417f98-24e3-48fd-a4cf-919d691f2db3/

14 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Yes but if used properly, remembering that we're in the midst of a pandemic, they are a layer of protection. It's all about learning new habits.

The warning is about the false sense of security not the effectiveness of masks.

Wear a mask if you can. But be equally careful. The worry is some think a mask will protect them so they won't.  

There is an update this afternoon on masks. So things may change. 

• Cheers 1

The debate on masks:

Here’s a 200 foot cliff.
If you jump, you may or may not die.

If you don’t jump, you will highly likely live.

Your choice.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

Hot off the press....

The British Medical Association has thrown its weight behind teaching unions opposing the government’s push to reopen schools in England, as the debate over millions of pupils returning to classrooms grew increasingly acrimonious.

“We cannot risk a second spike or take actions which would increase the spread of this virus, particularly as we see sustained rates of infection across the UK,” the BMA council’s chair, Chaand Nagpaul, said in the letter to his NEU counterpart, Kevin Courtney.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/bma-backs-teaching-unions-in-opposing-reopening-of-schools?CMP=share_btn_tw

From twitter

But in BC we’re told kids don’t spread the virus, masks aren’t needed, plastic barriers are only for bus drivers, kids can come to school if their family is sick, social distancing when possible is fine and Gary the custodian will be in for his regular tidy later

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hot off the press....

The British Medical Association has thrown its weight behind teaching unions opposing the government’s push to reopen schools in England, as the debate over millions of pupils returning to classrooms grew increasingly acrimonious.

“We cannot risk a second spike or take actions which would increase the spread of this virus, particularly as we see sustained rates of infection across the UK,” the BMA council’s chair, Chaand Nagpaul, said in the letter to his NEU counterpart, Kevin Courtney.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/bma-backs-teaching-unions-in-opposing-reopening-of-schools?CMP=share_btn_tw

Makes sense for the UK due to the size of the outbreak. Canada is a much different scenario. Just like the provinces all having different approaches, all countries will have different approaches. It doesn't make any of them wrong, just different based on the data they have.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Makes sense for the UK due to the size of the outbreak. Canada is a much different scenario. Just like the provinces all having different approaches, all countries will have different approaches. It doesn't make any of them wrong, just different based on the data they have.

while I disagree with BC opening the schools for 4 weeks, on short notice, I do agree that we can't use other countries/provinces/regions as a benchmark for our own policy.

• Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The debate on masks:

Here’s a 200 foot cliff.
If you jump, you may or may not die.

If you don’t jump, you will highly likely live.

Your choice.

Except doctors and nurses who are wearing masks are still getting it, so no it does not guarantee anything.

Reducing your exposure to areas where the virus might be is the only sure measure.