The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

I would think parents would send kids to schools wearing masks.

A lot of parents would not do this. Not because they don't believe in it, but because they can't afford to do it (or get organized enough to do it). After all many schools are providing breakfasts fro some students, which, of course, they should have had at home.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's not admin, it's at the ministry level.  Admin doesn't know more than I do right now.

that's why i don't get why we don't just get to to the finish line with DL and move fwd with a solid, well thought out plan for September.  teachers busted their butts to get DL set up, why not just make the best of it?

Even if ministry didn't give the green light to restart or not,  administration should have looked into how to get it done. 

At the very minimum, the ministry should have directed schools to have a plan for early return and September (with distance learning added to the curriculum).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'm not talking about a learning plan.

When school was officially closed during to Covid-19,  the administration had 2 months to figure out how to re-open under Covid-19 rules/recommendations. 

All the companies I know had Covid-19 rules in place with guidelines/policies.  Purchased PPE and Sanitizers.  All done in 2 weeks.  So that they can keep operating. 

The school administration had 2 months to figure this out.  So it can't be "short notice" to get everything ready.

dealing with kids and parents adds a whole other wrinkle

there are and were many fluid changes right from day one into the future.

You have to know that teachers and politicials do not get along, this is another example of politicians foisting there problems on teachers

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You ARE the  one that consistently supports workers  returning to work in an pandemic without PPE and clients not needing masks or any PPE as well.

I wonder why you just try  to deflect the discussion. Do you find your opinion as undefendable as most people find it... ?

:picard:

your purposeful misrepresentation or bizarre internal dialogue you have going on doesn't constitute my opinion on someting. 

honest to god there's no way to have a rational conversation with you.

how about in the future you post something you think I said, spew your dialogue of the day all over it, post a meme in response and just close the loop yourself? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

With something like this (pandemic), administrators do not have the authority to 'figure out' anything - they wait from direction from their Superindendent, who waits for direction from their board of trustees, who wait for direction from BCPSEA, who waits for direction from the Ministry of Education, who waits on direction from the Chief Medical Officer, who decides.....amiright stawns?  Now, if/when CMO decides that schools can re-open, they might in fact kick down some decision-making to site admin, but that didn't happen until last wed so there really has been very, very little time to decide how to send almost 750 000 students back to school in BC.  

Holy red tape Batman!!!!

If that is the case, then it really is short notice.  It can be done but tight deadlines. 

Thanks for the info.

Edit:  I blame the Ministry of Education then.  Obviously no Project Management experience. 

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Let's put aside the risk factor and focus on the details.

First and foremost, teachers are still working full days (and more) through distance learning, so where are these planning/prep hours going to come from?  

My district isn't even polling parents to see who is returning until May 22, so we won't even know who is coming back until later next week.  You can't plan until you know who is back.

We have no idea which students are going to be there or what their individual needs are going to be.  My guess is the most at risk, high needs students will be the most likely to return.  They are also the hardest students to keep focused and under control.  What's our strategy for trying to keep these kids apart and focused through this when they can't do it in normal circumstances?  What's the protocol for when they don't comply?  What's the protocol for multiple students not complying all at once?  We only have one full time administrator and one part-part time for a school of 500 kids.  

There's going to have to be a bathroom schedule and though that might not seem like much, that's going to be very complicated.  Again, not something that can really be done until we know which kids are returning.  The bathroom situation is going to be a big hurdle.

How are breaks going to work?  How do we keep them apart during lunch/recess?  Do we stagger breaks?  Do we have to develop a schedule breaks, are teachers giving up their recess/lunch breaks? 

Obviously the biggie is lesson planning.  It takes about 4 hours to plan and prep for a 6 hour day, when we actually have a template for a normal day.  Now, we have to start from scratch and plan for days with absolutely no idea of what we are going to be able to do.  Again, the makeup of returning students will largely dictate that and we won't know who is returning until mid-late next week.  With no template for our days, it'll be a 1:1 hour ratio for planning to implementation.  We still have to plan and teach online this week and next week.  People don't understand how much planning goes into teaching children.

Finally, we have to plan and implement two seperate days for every day.  The kids that return will need a plan and the kids staying home and distance learning will need a seperate plan..........every single day.  Right now teachers are struggling just to plan the distance learning day.  

So, no, 60 hours isn't even close to being enough.  You can't wing it for 6 hours with kids, it takes a ton of planning and prep at the best of times.  Now, we have to find ways to keep these kids busy for 6 hours a day because if they lose focus, the sh!t is going to hit the fan.

I get we'll have to return to face to face learning, but that is going to take a well thought out, detailed plan.  Were getting close to the date and there's still no plan given to the people expected to manage this return.  I get that the average person doesn't understand what goes into making schools function, but it takes hours and hours of planning and preparation at the best of times

Ultimately, I don't see the point when distance learning is bridging the gap for the time being.  It's 4 weeks, why not stick with the status quo and spend the summer putting together a detailed, well thought out, comprehensive plan that allows educators and administration the time needed to implement it properly.  On short notice it's going to be a train wreck.

thanks, that puts a lot of context to it for me. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Were being told that if we have any kind of symptoms to not come to work or to go home if we show symptoms at work.  Then what?  There was a severe TOC shortage before this and the majority of TOC's are retired teachers in the 60-65 age range........are they going to put themselves at risk?  If they aren't, who's going to cover classes when teachers call in sick, and that is absolutely going to happen.

What about teachers and staff who are in a high risk category and won't be returning at all?  Who will cover their classes?  I have at least three teachers in my school who will likely fall into that category.

I can't see any way under what you've talked about that kids come back for anything more than 1 day per week, maybe splitting the classes into 1/3's and leaving 2 full other days for you guys to manage things online. I can also see a large temporary hiring for online teachers as well, maybe thats where the over 65 can really help out... bit of a technical issue there but maybe the higher risk staff can take over online duties more?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I see Canada's top doctor finally admitted that the government waited too long to close the border.

And now they admit that home made face masks are better than nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I see Canada's top doctor finally admitted that the government waited too long to close the border.

she said that a couple of weeks ago. She also said, which is true, that most of our outbreaks were not from foreign travellers, but from our own citizens coming back. Not sure what choice we had RS, should we have left 1 million citizens shut out from coming home? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

image.gif.3e6a3d21644d4f7701cedea108a5af02.gif

Nasty mofos

30 of them can take out 30,000 honey bees.....

Although I just read that some of the bees have figured out a defence called 'heart beating'. A bunch of them smother a hornet then start vibrating, it generates heat and basically cook the hornet. Pretty bass ass move little bees, keep up the fight!

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Peeps need to stop comparing our situation in BC with other provinces in Canada; or countries around the world.  Our Covid numbers are really low; especially outside the Coastal and Fraser Valley areas.  It's been a couple of weeks since the health experts reduced the restrictions on testing, so anyone in BC that wants one can get one.  I would think that if a citizen of this awesome province was feeling ill, they would most likely go and get tested.  Yet our numbers continue to drop since May 9th under 20 new cases daily; single digits in the pas 3 days.  Only 45 Covid patients in BC hospitals; just 12 in ICU.  These are great numbers!

We know that there are thousands of essential workers children in schools/daycare throughout the province (I read a while back that it was around 5000, but so far I haven't been able to find the article).  I would think that the provincial healthcare team has been studying the data regarding these kiddies and their safety.

In the end, it will be the parents making the decision whether to return their kids to school.  From what I've been hearing, I doubt there will be a huge influx of children heading back to school in June.  I also think that teachers and maintenance workers should have more input in this decision as well.  If staff feel more comfortable with masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, (PPEs) the province should provide these items.

It is looking like this virus will be around for sometime now and there will be peaks and valleys in the future (especially if we return to open boarders and international travel).  We have done an exceptional job flattening the curve here in BC, which gives me hope that we can keep this virus to manageable levels.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Peeps need to stop comparing our situation in BC with other provinces in Canada; or countries around the world.  Our Covid numbers are really low; especially outside the Coastal and Fraser Valley areas.  It's been a couple of weeks since the health experts reduced the restrictions on testing, so anyone in BC that wants one can get one.  I would think that if a citizen of this awesome province was feeling ill, they would most likely go and get tested.  Yet our numbers continue to drop since May 9th under 20 new cases daily; single digits in the pas 3 days.  Only 45 Covid patients in BC hospitals; just 12 in ICU.  These are great numbers!

We know that there are thousands of essential workers children in schools/daycare throughout the province (I read a while back that it was around 5000, but so far I haven't been able to find the article).  I would think that the provincial healthcare team has been studying the data regarding these kiddies and their safety.

In the end, it will be the parents making the decision whether to return their kids to school.  From what I've been hearing, I doubt there will be a huge influx of children heading back to school in June.  I also think that teachers and maintenance workers should have more input in this decision as well.  If staff feel more comfortable with masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, (PPEs) the province should provide these items.

It is looking like this virus will be around for sometime now and there will be peaks and valleys in the future (especially if we return to open boarders and international travel).  We have done an exceptional job flattening the curve here in BC, which gives me hope that we can keep this virus to manageable levels.

This is so key.  We're not going to eliminate the virus.  We have flattened the curve by the looks of it.  But the curve will spike if we aren't smart about things.  If we take the precautions and get tested if we think we may have it.  Those things will help things from spiking.  It won't stop the spread, but it should keep things at a manageable level.

Once again, if in doubt, get tested!

• Upvote 2

On 4/13/2020 at 5:21 PM, naslund.is.king said:

LILLEY: Trudeau's cottage visit mocks us and the rules he sets

Justin Trudeau showed once again on Easter weekend that he doesn’t play by the same rules as everyone else, not even the rules he tell us to follow.

It was just last Friday that the PM was telling the whole country during his daily address that you couldn’t go see family for Easter.

“This weekend is going to be very different. You’ll have to stay home. You’ll have to Skype that big family dinner and the Easter egg hunt,” Trudeau said, standing outside of Rideau Cottage on the grounds of Rideau Hall in Ottawa.

That statement was followed up by this one.

“During the long weekend, we will all have to stay home. We cannot have gatherings for dinner and we’ll have to be creative to organize an Easter egg hunt inside the house,” Trudeau said.

So what did he do this weekend?

He got in his motorcade, with his full entourage, on Saturday afternoon and drove to the PM’s summer residence at Harrington Lake. From one cottage to the other, it is about 27 kilometers, it crosses a provincial boundary and goes through at least three municipalities.

In other words, Trudeau did exactly the opposite of what he, his own medical experts and the premiers of Ontario and Quebec have been saying. Ontario’s Doug Ford and Quebec’s Francois Legault have told people not to go to the cottage and to stay in our primary residence.

This is all part of flattening the curve we are told and making sure we don’t spread the virus. Quebec has even imposed travel restrictions within the province and for more than a week now, people trying to cross from Ottawa into Gatineau have been turned back unless they are essential workers.

No visiting the cottage, no shopping, no visiting family, no going on a drive through Gatineau Park. If you don’t live there, you are turned back.

Trudeau lives by different rules, though.

In normal times I would get this. I don’t begrudge him the fact that he travels with a big entourage; I get that being PM carries risks most of us can’t dream of. That said, these are not normal times.

Most of us would have loved to have visited family this weekend but we didn’t. We stayed home.

My parents are a short drive away and yet I have not seen them since they got back from Florida more than three weeks ago and I won’t see them soon.

Health officials warn against visiting anyone that you don’t already live with.

We are told time and again, including by Trudeau, that these are the sacrifices we have to make to fight COVID-19. On Saturday — just before he hopped in the motorcade and broke all the rules — Trudeau invoked the sacrifice of the men at Vimy Ridge to encourage us all to follow the rules.

Then he went to the cottage to see his wife and kids who have been living there for weeks and guess what, they had a big Easter egg hunt outside and posted it on social media.

At times like this, we need leaders who will lead by example; this weekend, Trudeau was not that leader.

He was showing he doesn’t follow the rules he sets for the little people and by posting the photos online, he and his family were openly mocking us.

Here's another one:

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is urging people to “buy Canadian” as domestic food producers feel the strain of global restrictions put in place to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus."

How about you start first Trudeau - STOP BUYING SAUDI OIL and build the pipelines needed to get the oil out of Alberta instead.

Such a hypocrite.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6943395/justin-trudeau-buy-canadian-coronavirus/

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 3