The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my wife is in post-secondary, they seem to have had an easier time planning than you guys. Much less need for the kind of care you are expected to deliver and its also young adults mostly so you can expect more autonomy. 

I wouldn't lay blame at the CDC tho, they aren't the ones forcing you back and they don't know your specific needs. No, this is someone at the assistant or deputy minister level getting this wrong. Whoever that is, isn't leading this correctly. 

so we're being told that we have to enforce the 2m rule, they get a 15 min break, can't sit at a table with friends, can't play with friends, can't use any toys or anything in class and won't be able to use any tech while they are there.  These are kids aged 5-10

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

so kids are there from 9-2, half hour lunch (15 mins eating and 15 outside), no recess.  They aren't allowed to have contact with each other and they're not alllowed to use any of the tech in the school.  This is going to be fun

So, knowing that the children WILL have contact with each other, what is the consequence (besides constant reminders and redirection) when they do? Reminders, time-outs, loss of privileges, in-school suspension, at-home suspension.....this is the normal chain of consequences, no? 

Any leader that gives you a plan - and knows FULL well the plan cannot be followed - is borderline incompetent and is putting you in harm's way imo. 

Edited by Fanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Fanuck said:

So, knowing that the children WILL have contact with each other, what is the consequence (besides constant reminders and redirection) when they do? Reminders, time-outs, loss of privileges, in-school suspension, at-home suspension.....this is the normal chain of consequences, no? 

An admin that gives you a plan - and knows FULL well the plan cannot be followed - is a useless/incompetent leader that nobody respects imo. 

it depends........if it's an intentional breach and malicious, the child is sent home immediately and can't come back.

Honestly, the admins are doing the absolute best that they can..........they don't have information either.  My admin is so great and so supportive, but they just don't have answers for anything,

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

it depends........if it's an intentional breach and malicious, the child is sent home immediately and can't come back.

this should be interesting, phoning little Billy's mom at the hospital on nurse duty telling her she has to come to school to pick up her son who violated the pandemic measures. 

Honestly, the admins are doing the absolute best that they can..........they don't have information either.  My admin is so great and so supportive, but they just don't have answers for anything,

Like I mentioned earlier - admin are just pawns in this, directives are coming from way higher up the chain - and these directives are being sent without due diligence in that there are questions about the directives which haven't been logically thought through.  Has the minister of ed or his deputy and/or the CMO or anyone on her staff gone to an actual school and try to see what measures would be needed vs. what resources are available - I don't think they've even thought it all the way through - they just kick down their directive and tell people to figure out the details.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Nope, but Heretic said "build the pipelines needed to get the oil out of Alberta instead."

So Kinder Morgan pipeline is supposed to get oil out of Alberta is it not?

And yes it is the wrong thread.

If it's the wrong thread - then the mods would delete/move it.

It's about the pandemic - seems it's okay to bash Trump for anything about the pandemic - so why not Trudeau?  

• Thanks 4
  • Wat 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

its a clusterf*** from top to bottom.  I have no issue with coming back in September, but that requires immense planning.  From the point we are at right now, it should be a month of planning, not 5 days

https://www.change.org/p/keep-bc-schools-closed-until-sept-2020

VANCOUVER -- An online petition is calling for B.C. to halt its plan to restart schools, saying that even though parents can choose whether or not to send kids back, employers may pressure parents to return to work now that the option is available.

After suspending in-class schooling in mid-March because of concerns over the spread of COVID-19, B.C.'s premier announced on May 15 that parents would have the option of sending children back to school part-time on June 1 –or continuing with online-based learning.

"Some employers may expect their employees with children to willingly return to the workplace now that the option of part-time education is available," wrote Patricia Cullen, the creator of the petition, on Change.org.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/petition-calls-on-b-c-to-halt-plan-to-restart-in-school-learning-1.4945219

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I see Canada's top doctor finally admitted that the government waited too long to close the border.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

And now they admit that home made face masks are better than nothing.

It’s evolution. Things are in constant flux through space and time and sometimes things are faster than the human ability to grasp them.

Why does someone have to be wrong? Is it a way to cope with it?

In China, in a span of around 10 years, 300 million people moved out of rural areas and into cities, creating brand new 5 million people cities in a mere few years.

Planners built cities expecting an influx of those 300 million migrants. 

But they took another route. 

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

How about....who actually imports the oil.  Is it the government of Canada or companies in Canada?

How about why did Lilley give Ford a free pass for visiting a cottage his family was not at but lambastes Trudeau for visiting the cottage his family is at?

When you want to speak of hypocrisy, using Lilley as a platform is not always the best way to do so

How about...you research the money Trudeau makes from the OPEC deals his father made in the 70's - so yes - it's the companies - particularly one that Trudeau has vested interests.

• Wat 2

9 minutes ago, Heretic said:

How about...you research the money Trudeau makes from the OPEC deals his father made in the 70's - so yes - it's the companies - particularly one that Trudeau has vested interests.

So you’re posting based on the argument that if it’s ok to bash Trump it’s ok to bash Trudeau?

Dude. Thanks to Pierre Trudeau, we have stately Prime Minister who is a natural both on the National stage as well as a the International stage.

It’s like you entered a wine and cheese party but you’re on meth...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So you’re posting based on the argument that if it’s ok to bash Trump it’s ok to bash Trudeau?

Dude. Thanks to Pierre Trudeau, we have stately Prime Minister who is a natural both on the National stage as well as a the International stage.

It’s like you entered a wine and cheese party but you’re on meth...

No, I'm posting because I feel like it - to create awareness.

Natural?   LOL - he's an embarrassment to all Canadians.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

#BrokenBC

1. Message from a longtime VSB staff member I know and trust: “On the ground, there is no planning. The VSB has left it up to each admin to figure it out, and this morning at a staff meeting, we were told ‘you need to figure out how you will come back and do your job.’ #bced. /2
  • Upvote 1

Interesting, yet my wife was just told that they (teachers) are NOT allowed to wear masks in the classroom.

Canada's top doctor recommends wearing non-medical masks when distancing difficult

BY CORMAC MAC SWEENEY

Posted May 20, 2020 10:27 am PDT

Last Updated May 20, 2020 at 10:36 am PDT

SKP11461714.jpg
FILE - Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's Chief Public Health Officer, speaks during a press conference on Parliament Hill during the COVID-19 pandemic in Ottawa on Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Tam says a COVID-19 outbreak gripping the northern Saskatchewan community of La Loche is an area of concern.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

SUMMARY

OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) — As provinces start to allow businesses and services to resume, Canada’s top doctor is recommending everyone wear a non-medical face mask when they can’t keep two metres apart from others.

“I know this may not be the grand reopening we might have liked, but we won’t get through this on hope alone,” said Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/05/20/canadas-top-doctor-recommends-wearing-non-medical-masks-when-distancing-difficult/

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

It’s called evolution through time. Why does someone have to be wrong? Is it a way to cope with it?

Agree.  People should be allowed to change their minds when presented with more information without it being considered "a sign of weakness".  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Me_ said:

I’m Canadian. Don’t talk for me.

And as far as I’ve looked, the dude checks out pretty damn fine.

You’re entitled to your opinion too.

Sure, if you think racist bigots are "pretty damn fine".

• Wat 5

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

No, I'm posting because I feel like it - to create awareness.

Natural?   LOL - he's an embarrassment to all Canadians.

Nah he’s not. He just isn’t your choice for a prime minister. He was voted in for 2 terms now so I’d say the majority aren’t embarrassed by him. Your opinion doesn’t reflect the entire country.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

so we're being told that we have to enforce the 2m rule, they get a 15 min break, can't sit at a table with friends, can't play with friends, can't use any toys or anything in class and won't be able to use any tech while they are there.  These are kids aged 5-10

has anyone brought in a group of teachers to give input on the plan? like a focus group via zoom even? curious how much input from the troops there's been. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Nah he’s not. He just isn’t your choice for a prime minister. He was voted in for 2 terms now so I’d say the majority aren’t embarrassed by him. Your opinion doesn’t reflect the entire country.

Or those that voted for him are similar to those that voted for Trump.

:emot-parrot:

• Haha 4
  • Wat 2

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Interesting, yet my wife was just told that they (teachers) are NOT allowed to wear masks in the classroom.

Horgan and Dr Bonnie don't care about students / school staff / school staff family.....    Horgan/Dr Bonnie  only care about daycare for workers....

Tim Hortons workers get PPE.   Kids and school staff get nothing......

• Wat 3