The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

The numbers are just starting.

China has quarantined a few regions due to outbreaks of what looks like a mutation ethics is taking much longer to show symptoms. 

The mutated version allows you to be asymptomatic for longer and attacks multi organs at the same time.

There's a few things that even all this time in we don't have a handle on.

Can you get it twice, as in the same strain? how fast is it mutating? does it have neurological impacts? what's this with the kids? What are the actual symptoms?!?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as a parent who's had a kid with mental health challenges I find that a little flippant tbh. Its not that easy. 

Neither is saying that attending school is a preventative measure for mental health. As a parent of a child with mental health issues I can attest to that. Guess where the greatest stressors occured for my child? 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The numbers are just starting.

China has quarantined a few regions due to outbreaks of what looks like a mutation ethics is taking much longer to show symptoms. 

The mutated version allows you to be asymptomatic for longer and attacks multi organs at the same time.

Omg. 

A mutation is the last thing the world needs.  Means any vaccines developed might only work for certain strains.

:sadno:

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're assuming there won't be a similar attitude in September tho. I hope you're correct and there is more info, but there may not be. 

Attitude, maybe.

But prep time for the schools is needed anyway. Better to wait. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Neither is saying that attending school is a preventative measure for mental health. As a parent of a child with mental health issues I can attest to that. Guess where the greatest stressors occured for my child? 

mine too, but through the process we learned that keeping our kid at home was the worse plan. But every kid is unique, thats what makes it so hard. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats it, we have to ask things like these things and I think take a bigger look at what "harm" means in this context. 

We can still mitigate risk to seniors care by maintaining social distancing. Seeing your grandkids at 6' until there's a vaccine sucks, but not as bad as the risks from social isolation for kids with anxiety disorders, imo who need that structure to deal with their problems. I'm really afraid for the kids that will fall though the cracks if the schools don't reopen. 

I agree 100%.

but, i don't think the answer is herding them altogether when we don't really have much information on this virus yet.  I think the answer is avtually providing mental health support for kids and families.  Currently, we have one intinerent school psychologist shared between three schools and no on site counsellor.  If this virsu rages back, I would hope that the province understands the need to increase that substantially.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Omg. 

A mutation is the last thing the world needs.  Means any vaccines developed might only work for certain strains.

:sadno:

That’s what the flu is. Vaccines take care of mutated versions each year.

A vaccine is a much more feasible target than a cure. 

And that is indeed if we grasp control of it and are able to get ahead of this thing.

This is the perfect combination of spreadability as fatality rate.

Might be years.

Edited by Me_

I have a pretty good debate going on in my own fam.

One sister is a psychologist with 4 boys. She is against going back. Meanwhile my other sis is a school board superintendent. She is toeing the company line and trying to figure it out.

Two smart successful people that have two very different views. That said , they are sisters

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

So, just what is normal? How long has it been normal? 

How long do we do something different before it becomes normal?

personally, when we have more information on this virus.  Our experience with this one will also inform our decisions with future virus' and outbreaks.  This one is the template builder, imo.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

mine too, but through the process we learned that keeping our kid at home was the worse plan. But every kid is unique, thats what makes it so hard. 

That is my argument for home schooling for the children who can. 

Not all children fit under the cloak of the institution. Many suffer Because of the institutionalize educational system and will never reach their potential.

But some, when left to themselves, will learn the violin in a month, go on to read that pyrodynamics book no one in the house ever read, and will invent things that change the world.

Some. Not all.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree 100%.

but, i don't think the answer is herding them altogether when we don't really have much information on this virus yet.  I think the answer is avtually providing mental health support for kids and families.  Currently, we have one intinerent school psychologist shared between three schools and no on site counsellor.  If this virsu rages back, I would hope that the province understands the need to increase that substantially.  

that sounds typical. So many people don't want to address it that it does not get the attention it needs. Many parents go through a period of denial, that 'it cant be my kid'. Fortunately we did have one teacher who really took the time to help us, my daughter wouldn't have graduated without her. Thats why I value the kids going back so much, i've seen it first hand. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

That is my argument for home schooling for the children who can. 

Not all children fit under the cloak of the institution. Many suffer Because of the institutionalize educational system and will never reach their potential.

thats true but with some social anxiety disorders kids need the structure. Its so tough to figure out whats right for one kid vs another. You may think you're helping with home schooling but you might be doing harm. Its really tough to figure that one out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that sounds typical. So many people don't want to address it that it does not get the attention it needs. Many parents go through a period of denial, that 'it cant be my kid'. Fortunately we did have one teacher who really took the time to help us, my daughter wouldn't have graduated without her. Thats why I value the kids going back so much, i've seen it first hand. 

That is my strong suit as an educator, I'm an adult that the kids feel close to and confide in.  It's also one of the reasons I don't want to put them or their families at un-necessary risk right now.

As I said, if numbers are low in September and the current restrictions remain, I agree that being in school is where they should be.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true but with some social anxiety disorders kids need the structure. Its so tough to figure out whats right for one kid vs another. You may think you're helping with home schooling but you might be doing harm. Its really tough to figure that one out. 

It’s a really tough one. One that makes or breaks generations.

But between the physical school building and an iPad, there is definitely a lot of opportunity for redesigning our knowledge transfer.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, no one under their 40s has died from covid in BC. So I'm not sure your correct on that. 

We seem to be following an idea that there won't be any adverse effects from closing schools that are just as bad as covid for people under 18, and I don't know that we've really examined that idea. 

So if we're not going to close schools for all of next year, we have to accept some risk. So which risk is worse? 

I think the key thing we are forgetting is that this all about BALANCE. We knew going into this that we were not going to save everyone from this and the key objective was to not overwhelm our healthcare system. I think I read somewhere that about 70% of us were eventually going to get it whether it be the 1st wave , 2nd wave or anytime after that. 

So just like a sinking ship where we put the women and children in the lifeboats first, we know that the elderly and those with underlying health conditions are the most vulnerable, so those are the one we should be concentrating on. 

Concentrating on some rare child symptoms, which are way less lethal and ,may or may not be associated with covid 19, seems like we are missing the main point in that our elderly population are literally dying, every day. I think the focus should be how we can protect the "vulnerable" until a vaccine is found.

• Cheers 3

He’s not getting out.

Expect one of the dirtiest elections, one of the most chaotic power transfer, and mass death in two United-States of America.

Edited by Me_

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for sure, but thats going to take time. 

No one likes to make cold calculations when it comes to safety. I'm just questioning if we're potentially creating more harm than good if we don't get kids lives back to something resembling normal sooner than later. 

There are so many branches to this, though.

What about if they go to school but that means staying away from Grandparents or loved ones?  There's also an impact there.

And mental health issues do offer "help" to try to combat them...right now, covid does not (other than try not to get it).

Kids ARE resilient and if parents do a good job of guiding them through this, they'll be just fine.  If they go to school in a bit of an "unknown" atmosphere that has teachers questioning the whole deal that loss of a sense of security may also be felt.  That it won't be "business as usual" and will be strange and an adjustment as well.  Teachers won't be as focused as they have yet one more thing to worry about with their students.  I'm not sure it's fair to the kids or the teachers to throw them back in without a good plan in place.

I feel it's premature and that September makes sense.  But I also get that parents have limited options and do have to return to work so it's all about finding something that works for everyone.  And considering the risk that teachers and children may be facing is part of that.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have a pretty good debate going on in my own fam.

One sister is a psychologist with 4 boys. She is against going back. Meanwhile my other sis is a school board superintendent. She is toeing the company line and trying to figure it out.

Two smart successful people that have two very different views. That said , they are sisters

superintedents and admin are under heavy heavy pressure ight now.  Sh!tty job to have at the moment

• Vintage 3

Part of "mental health" is anxiety and you learn techniques and tools to address and alleviate it, not remove or avoid all the things that could possibly produce it.  It's inevitable that, over time, you have to overcome those hurdles so giving the tools to do so is important.  The world will never be free of things that induce anxiety or stress..but how we address them is important.  Not keeping them at bay but embracing them for what they are "scary moments" that we can get through.

Which means that the COVID deal...one that is very real and scary for some...can't just be "ignored" for the sake of mental health.  It has to be navigated using those tools and, if children are affected...the parents who have the toolbox to equip them with have to lead the charge.

After what they've experienced nothing will just feel "normal" for awhile.  It's unavoidable.  

Many people facing mental health issues also deal with some of them as a result of:  work pressures, school bullying, etc.  So it doesn't mean they're not there...just in different forms.