The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Watch that border.

Americans will try to escape the carnage that will be.

Airports, crossings, waterways and guns.

They are going to get hit real hard down there. 

No plan.

We’re fortunate Washington is to the south of us instead of Texas or Florida for example.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks for posting.

I wonder if it's time for a conspiracy thread?

I mentioned the 5G one the other day.

It's so blinking obvious. US falls behind in technology and all of a sudden that tech is the work of evil.

They say all empires fall but I can't help but be concerned that this USA one could take us all with it. 

I don’t think that the US is behind technologically speaking. 

It’s my opinion but I don’t trust the Chinese govt backed 5g vis-a-vis Huawei. The trust isn’t that their tech isn’t viable, but that the information that they’re privy to, plus having a dictatorial country such as China having such a large market share in that tech leaves me uncomfortable. Call me a conspiratorial worry-wart if you’d like. That’s fair. 

However, when on the largest stage in dealing with global implications, such as Covid-19 reporting/lack of reporting/hoarding of supplies/mismanagement/secrecy/unaccountability, I don’t believe that any global technological and foundational system by the Chinese gov’t ought to be relied upon as a trustworthy platform for the citizens of the world. 

I will put forth that I don’t equate the people of China or our good fellow Chinese Canadians with the govt of China. 

I don’t trust the Chinese govt, and I’ve seen no reason to move off that stance. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

They make some good points. Sweden took some flac but has built herd immunity, don't forget to report their numbers if there is a second wave.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I thought we were lifting the lockdowns?  Perhaps not quickly enough for this guy?  He's correct in the sense that we aren't going to eliminate this virus and that hospital capacity is the big thing to worry about and not necessarily number of cases.

Also sounds like he's supporting the idea of getting herd immunity by lower restrictions quickly now (to "Swedish" levels) and letting the virus go through everyone that is at lower risk.  This, to me, seems reckless as not everyone who is "high risk" may even be aware they are high risk.  And protecting all the "high risk" people is easier said than done if we're going to have a 3 month coronavirus kegger (...you know, the 2020 version of the Chicken pox party).

Bottom line is we are slowly releasing those lockdowns.  If we want to survive we have to change a few habits.  In order to survive, can't we expect Capitalism to change a few habits too?  Is that too much to freaking ask?

This pandemic sucks....for everyone, but we have to be realistic there is no band aid solution.  And since there is no band aid solution there isn't anything to rip off in order to get it over with quickly.  That being said, we do need to get the things we can get back on track, back on track.  By all accounts we have flattened the curve so it's time to slowly lift a few things.  And if hospitalizations don't rise, lift a few more things.  And as we get better at contact tracing perhaps we can lift a few more things.  But we can't go too fast as one thing we have seen is that this virus can spread quickly and the virus doesn't care if you're low risk or high risk.  Keep those hospitalizations at a manageable level.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I simply do not believe this poll. There's no way 1/2 of the country is falling for this stuff, we'd see far more pushback on our efforts. 

Small sample size, probably done in a small geographical location.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Timbermen said:

Who cares, they're quoting Don Lemon in the same article.

Okay you show me your source and proof that they have achieved herd immunity then. But something tells me you have nothing and are just making it up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Petey40 said:

Okay you show me your source and proof that they have achieved herd immunity then. But something tells me you have nothing and are just making it up.

I don't care if they do or don't, in the article it said they won't get hit as hard in the second wave. I guess i misread that as herd immunity. 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

No sources is better than blatantly lying partisan politics sources.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

They make some good points. Sweden took some flac but has built herd immunity, don't forget to report their numbers if there is a second wave.

They did not build any sort of consequential herd immunity. 

You’re completely and utterly incorrect. Stop speaking about things that you have no clue about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1