The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Testing will help a lot. But with apparently most infected being asymptomatic that only helps so much. If nothing else, at least we are overall more prepared now than we initially were, and both the public and the authorities are more educated.

Typically, such viruses ease off during the summer months so hopefully we see that and the spike isn't excessive. Closing again would be devastating - if even feasible at all. While I do expect an increase during the summer due to reopening, it's more this fall I am worried about.

At the end of the day, it is imperative the public continues to be vigilant in protecting themselves until a cure is found. While most of us will be ok if we get it, we simply cannot expect our seniors to live with the virus running amok right outside their door or even being carried in by care workers.

If we not-so-randomly randomly tested certain high traffic people that could help there.  For example, test randomly among teachers, grocery store workers, etc.  If you also contact trace and test everyone around those who have tested positive for COVID, you could catch some asymptomatic people.  And yes, the public being more educated is key too.

Seeing how things have gone in the Southern Hemisphere, it's possible there may be some slight easing but I'm not hoping for anything close to how the flu eases in summer.  And yeah, all hands on deck for October.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My guess re teachers "having to clean" is that it's impossible to have "cleaning staff" on guard through the duration of a day, however, it's important to have sanitization throughout the day.

I'm thinking Lysol wipes between "stations" of work, etc.  

It is an unusual situation for sure...but I'd be hard pressed to think "cleaning" by teachers means doing the toilets, etc.  If so, no.  But the general classroom area is their work environment so keeping it sanitary isn't that big of a deal.  Wiping down frequently touched objects/areas and such.  I mean, it ultimately protects them too.

I was doing that at work constantly...just so everyone would be safe (including me).  It's not that big of a deal if the proper supplies are provided.

in our staff meeting 10 mins ago, the sentence "we're going to have to teach kids how to clean the room" was actually used.

• Wat 1
10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My guess re teachers "having to clean" is that it's impossible to have "cleaning staff" on guard through the duration of a day, however, it's important to have sanitization throughout the day.

I'm thinking Lysol wipes between "stations" of work, etc.  

It is an unusual situation for sure...but I'd be hard pressed to think "cleaning" by teachers means doing the toilets, etc.  If so, no.  But the general classroom area is their work environment so keeping it sanitary isn't that big of a deal.  Wiping down frequently touched objects/areas and such.  I mean, it ultimately protects them too.

I was doing that at work constantly...just so everyone would be safe (including me).  It's not that big of a deal if the proper supplies are provided.

you don't have kids sneezing and coughing on everything without a thought to vireus transmission.

However, it sounds like the avg number of returning kids to classroom is about 4-6 at my school.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, stawns said:

in our staff meeting 10 mins ago, the sentence "we're going to have to teach kids how to clean the room" was actually used.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.... I am imagining my 6 year old nephew cleaning a school classroom with disinfectant - he can barely keep the table clean when he is eating and wash his face properly. yikes. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.... I am imagining my 6 year old nephew cleaning a school classroom with disinfectant - he can barely keep the table clean when he is eating and wash his face properly. yikes. 

well I can tell you at least once a month one kid or another spreads crap all over the walls of the bathroom.  That's happened at every school I've worked at

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Maybe we can adopt some of the Japanese system for the kids to do this.

https://life.shared.com/tradition-japanese-schools-students-do-much-cleaning-called-o-soji-within-the-premises

That is until a parent claims child labor <_<

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Just now, Kakanucks said:

Maybe we can adopt some of the Japanese system for the kids to do this.

https://life.shared.com/tradition-japanese-schools-students-do-much-cleaning-called-o-soji-within-the-premises

That is until a parent claims child labor <_<

That kind of thing is pretty standard in kmost classrooms, but not mid-pandemic!  I'm sure it will be clarified in more detail, but we're now 5 working days from start up and that's the kind of info we're getting.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, stawns said:

well I can tell you at least once a month one kid or another spreads crap all over the walls of the bathroom.  That's happened at every school I've worked at

Yeah, I have no doubt. I work at a public pool.. I have seen some.. crap... from kids I'll tell you that 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
Just now, Chicken. said:

Yeah, I have no doubt. I work at a public pool.. I have seen some.. crap... from kids I'll tell you that 

it's amazing how low the bar is set for acceptable human behaviour

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Name you’re NHL Award Season winners so far. 

Quinn Hughes for ROTY, Makar had a taste of NHL last year, also the Avs are more stacked. 
edge Quinn

coach of the year? Alain Vigneault or Dave Tippet?

Edited by The Aquamen
16 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

Name you’re NHL Award Season winners so far. 

Quinn Hughes for ROTY, Makar had a taste of NHL last year, also the Avs are more stacked. 
edge Quinn

coach of the year? Alain Vigneault or Dave Tippet?

Hughes will end up being the more impactful player when all is said and done. So, I 100% agree. 

• Upvote 2

For Asian Americans, COVID-19 racism is a virus of hate: Reporter's notebook

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/for-asian-americans-covid-19-racism-is-a-virus-of-hate-reporter-s-notebook/ar-BB14tf23?li=AAggFp4&ocid=iehp

Coronavirus backlash is a reminder, I'm a 'perpetual foreigner' to some

This virus of hate has me also thinking about the fear faced daily by other communities of color. It is hard for me to imagine living with this kind of terror all the time. While I know how it feels to be "other," it is another feeling entirely to be afraid. I have always stood with my Latino and African American friends. Now I understand them just a little better and my hope is that my work will help all of our viewers -- black, white, brown, or Asian -- come to the same understanding.

I'm reminded back in my University years when discussing USA and Canada being a big melting pot where people of different color/background/ethics can co-exist.  I remember saying that while the majority of people will be civil to one another (regardless of ethnicity), there will always be pockets of hate.  Sad that I was right.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I would be all for that. Each side of an issue presents there case and each gets time for a rebuttal. No talking over the other person in the process. Would the audience get the chance to vote on who was the winner? Love the idea. 

As long as every side is hooked to an electroshock device in case they get out of control.

You know... a Dr. Venkman zap.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, stawns said:

Tell that to parents, and many children will never see the inside of a classroom again.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is an off-topic forum designed to allow discussion about non-hockey matters. Just to clear up your confusion. 

Absolutely. And I get that it’s a safe place to talk about it with like minded people.   It still bugs me a bit that it’s ramping up to overtake the famed “trade Burrows” thread.   Yes I’m probably overreacting - but there has been some great topics the past two months and I’m surprised at the lack of participation. For example AJs top 50 Greatest All-Time Canucks ... maybe 50 CDCers contributed on a regular basis... why not participate? Just trying to make a point - it’s a hockey site why don’t we focus a little more on that.  Lots we can talk about that has nothing to do with COVID.  

• Wat 1
  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic