The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Lets take 100 people with compromised immune systems that have threat of death from suicide and 100 with a threat of death from covid.

There is still the possibility to save all those that face death from suicide

That possibility, with the limited amount we know about covid does not currently exist. 

Exactly right.  I'm not seeing the correlation.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ireland deaths/1 million pop = 325

Netherlands deaths/1 million pop = 340

Belgium deaths/1 million pop = 801

UK deaths/1 million pop = 501

France deaths/1 million pop = 434

Those numbers don't tell much of a story, so many other variables are in play.  

As far as the Merrill lynch piece, that's one opinion,  The federal gov't, the Alberta provincial gov't and many others disagree and believe it's going to be years, if we ever get back to the way things were.  The company I consult for has a weekly call with these political parties as well as with Deloitte, discussing exactly this.  

Story isn't over yet though is it?  This just isn't a 'shot across the bow' against you but anybody who is doing their 'victory lap' before this "event" has moved on.

Game of Thrones was (imho) the greatest show on TV before it started to decline in later seasons & totally **** the bed in season 8.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Their classification of a "Covid" death is very different from pretty much every other country.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/08/russia-is-boasting-about-low-coronavirus-deaths-the-numbers-are-deceiving-a70220

Interesting. 

I don't know what to make of it because I think we are calling more deaths covid related than may not be.

Maybe some middle ground has to be found. For example what are the average amount of deaths in Canada, or even exact numbers over the last few years from old age, flu, pneumonia, etc compared to this year? 

If the numbers fall short than I think we at least get some answers.

To much work to jump into for a Sunday though.

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm actually stunned with Russia. So many cases and so little deaths.

Russia has ALOT more windows than a third rate country like Canada......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/three-russian-doctors-have-fallen-from-hospital-windows-in-two-weeks-amid-reports-of-dire-conditions/2020/05/06/c3ca73f4-8f88-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

:P

• Haha 3

Just now, stawns said:

Pick a lane man

What's that supposed to mean? Believe everything without question? You can believe that the virus is real but also believe political party's are using it to smear the other side, like they always do in an election year. Only listen to experts? Ok, fine, not all of them are saying the same things though.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Pick a lane man

This is a silly response. If that's why he dislikes her that's his opinion. I didn't realize she said that..my concern is he believes she has that authority. It's almost as ridiculous as when the health minister made threats towards losing civil liberties, again something out of her control.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Interesting. 

I don't know what to make of it because I think we are calling more deaths covid related than may not be.

Maybe some middle ground has to be found. For example what are the average amount of deaths in Canada, or even exact numbers over the last few years from old age, flu, pneumonia, etc compared to this year? 

If the numbers fall short than I think we at least get some answers.

To much work to jump into for a Sunday though.

I believe most are using how deaths are attributed to the flu.  I nabbed this from the CDC site: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm

What are seasonal influenza-related deaths?

Seasonal influenza-related deaths are deaths that occur in people for whom influenza infection was likely a contributor to the cause of death, but not necessarily the primary cause of death.

And I'm fine with that.  Yes, other factors are at play, but, as you said, that's not a Sunday thing...probably not even something someone untrained in stats/health/etc could easily do.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

Its just ironic because you have sat here and consistently championed a business model which involves paying the top executives of corporations millions of dollars in compensation while workers can barely earn a livable wage. In response to critics of this model you have argued that workers need to improve their skillsets to command higher pay. Now those same people are dying in droves because a person's economic outlook has a big role to play in their well both mentally and physically.

I am just curious and I think this is a fair question to ask. Do you actually care about these people dying or are you more concerned for the effect this pandemic is going to have on the economy? 

Two scenarios. Both involve death. One puts us in a worse outlook when everything is over. The other puts us in a better outlook. If your odds are set up to lose at least focus on area with a glimmer of hope.

Again I think people might be confused in what I’m stating. I’m not saying we did the wrong thing originally. I think the lockdown was good considering the unknown. Now that we have more understanding I’m saying it’s time to start opening up again. Like we are doing. My debate is with the group that thinks things need to remained closed longer. And disagrees with the govt phased plan approach that has been implemented. 

• Wat 3
  • Vintage 1