The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Those 3M Masks are for particulates, they help a bit but if you want to keep vapours out, you need a respirator. Anyone that goes into a spray booth wearing a 3M N95 mask and not a respirator is breaking WCB rules. That being said, you're better off having the 3M mask on than nothing, you will still be ingesting vapours. not as full on as you would without though. Also most respirator filters only last for 8 hours so you'd be spending a lot of money. The 3M masks are the way to go but you aren't impervious to vapours getting in, be aware of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, sort of. The recommendation is that you wear a mask to protect other people, its stopping droplets at the source. So non-compliance in a place like Canada and the US might be hard, given all the "freedom" folks we have here that don't really care about public efforts. 

This article from the Lancet is a very good one on the current state of mask recommendations and how masks fit in to the bigger picture. 

But no one really knows what percentage of people is needed to wear them, that work has not been done.

Research has also not been done during a pandemic when mass masking compliance is high enough for its effectiveness to be assessed. 

Social distancing and handwashing are of prime importance in the current lockdown. We suggest mask wearing would complement these measures by controlling the harm at source. Mass masking would be of particular importance for the protection of essential workers who cannot stay at home. As people return to work, mass masking might help to reduce a likely increase in transmission. South Korea and Hong Kong have managed to limit their COVID-19 outbreaks without lockdown.    It is difficult to apportion the contribution of various measures, including extensive testing, rigorous contact tracing, and strict isolation, but use of masks in public is universally practised in these two places. We encourage consideration of mass masking during the coming phases of the COVID-19 pandemic, which are expected to occur in the absence of an effective COVID-19 vaccine.  Finally, this practice could also be useful for control of future influenza epidemics.
Mass masking for source control is in our view a useful and low-cost adjunct to social distancing and hand hygiene during the COVID-19 pandemic. This measure shifts the focus from self-protection to altruism, actively involves every citizen, and is a symbol of social solidarity in the global response to the pandemic.

Well considering the government hasn’t made it mandatory or even said businesses must comply I don’t know how it’s going against public effort.

Plenty of people I’ve seen wearing masks seem to think that means they don’t have to respect distancing measures. It has not even been proven to slow the spread.

Keep your distance and wash your hands regularly and we’ll all be fine. The numbers show the current measures are working well enough.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well considering the government hasn’t made it mandatory or even said businesses must comply I don’t know how it’s going against public effort.

Plenty of people I’ve seen wearing masks seem to think that means they don’t have to respect distancing measures. It has not even been proven to slow the spread.

Keep your distance and wash your hands regularly and we’ll all be fine. The numbers show the current measures are working well enough.

even though they've been told 1,000 times its a 3 part effort of hand washing, distance and masks.

The issue and question I have is, did Canada make a 200+ billion dollar mistake by not being tougher on mask use? could we have avoided a shut down alltogether if we had simply paid more attention to South Korea and Hong Kong? 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

it's so disgusting that it takes military personnel reporting the widely known 'lack of proper care' taking place in long-term care homes across the country for it to get reported on.

"severe neglect" as they worded it. sadly not a huge shock to anyone that knows someone in a long term care facility that is government run. if anything good comes out of this pandemic maybe our vulnerable lower income seniors will get treated better.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trudeau-says-military-members-saw-extremely-troubling-things-in-ontario-long-term-care-facilities/ar-BB14CoJr?ocid=msedgntp 

Trudeau says military members saw 'extremely troubling' things in Ontario long-term care facilities

Trudeau did not detail the incidents in the CAF report. Two military sources tell CBC's Vassy Kapelos that military members deployed to the facilities found instances of severe neglect.

"We are going to ask the province to investigate the instances of neglect and do something about it," said one source. "We found no rules, a lack of staff training and medical equipment and instances of staff reusing syringes on seniors."

"Members witnessed people dying and not being taken care of adequately and felt compelled to put it in writing," said a second source.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I would say it's largely just arrogance, a need to feel 'smarter' than everyone else and a complete lack of empathy and understanding that it's not about them as an individual, but that they individually, can be a part of helping keep others safe.

We all know the type.

I don't see that part in it... to me it seems more like a feeling. Like the feeling to pick up a gun and go stand at your legislature. Hitting those people in the wallet might be the only thing to wake them up. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

it's so disgusting that it takes military personnel reporting the widely known 'lack of proper care' taking place in long-term care homes across the country for it to get reported on.

"severe neglect" as they worded it. sadly not a huge shock to anyone that knows someone in a long term care facility that is government run. if anything good comes out of this pandemic maybe our vulnerable lower income seniors will get treated better.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trudeau-says-military-members-saw-extremely-troubling-things-in-ontario-long-term-care-facilities/ar-BB14CoJr?ocid=msedgntp 

Trudeau says military members saw 'extremely troubling' things in Ontario long-term care facilities

That needs a public inquiry, if anything ever did. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I think the number of kids in school next week will be astoundingly low imo - hopefully making the situation slightly manageable. 

My school counted about 5-6/classroom last Friday, but has gone up yesterday day and today and we're now looking at an avg of around 8-10/class

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Where does it say government run?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

My school counted about 5-6/classroom last Friday, but has gone up yesterday day and today and we're now looking at an avg of around 8-10/class

5 kids per teacher seems manageable ?   10+ per teacher would be where I imagine thinks getting out of hand behavior wise and with the bathroom protocols etc. 

Cleanliness and hygienic standards on the other hand will still be a nightmare for teachers to deal with on their own no matter the number of children.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

My new mask is pretty fly.. its actually quite comfy, and for a good cause. Help the Aquarium!

got mine last week too, it is really nice fitting and happy to wear one to both save the Aquarium and do my bit. 

But I did also notice like others that people use it to get too close sometimes, but I just keep moving. One thing i've started doing when shopping is holding my basket out further when one of these people are headed your way. Seems to work. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chicken. said:

5 kids per teacher seems manageable ?   10+ per teacher would be where I imagine thinks getting out of hand behavior wise and with the bathroom protocols etc. 

Cleanliness and hygienic standards on the other hand will still be a nightmare for teachers to deal with on their own no matter the number of children.

From setting up classrooms, the max seems to be 6ish in a classroom.  That's with absolutely no moving around, at all 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I would say it's largely just arrogance, a need to feel 'smarter' than everyone else and a complete lack of empathy and understanding that it's not about them as an individual, but that they individually, can be a part of helping keep others safe.

We all know the type.

I hadn't been out and about other than for groceries. 

I have crossbows and was in need of a new target so last week I headed off to Cabelas for my first non-essential outing in months. 

The store was good in that they had a dude watching numbers and making people put on hand sanitiser at the entrance. I wore a mask and gloves. I noticed a little girl looking at me from down one of the one way isles, probably just curious. I'm covered in tattoos and wearing mask and gloves I look quite the sight. Then I saw the look on her moms face, shooting daggers at me...she didn't think I was a creep, I was quite a bit away and had just glanced over at them .... I am positive it's because I had the mask on and because she and her daughter did not.

It felt like she assumed that I thought she was a lousy mom....probably a pretty good assumption. 

@Chicken. love the Whitecaps mask! Wife and I ordered ours weeks ago and are still waiting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

Where does it say government run?

It doesn't say which facilities of course - yet - my own experiences have shown that government run facilities have a much lower standard of care then the private, more costly, long-term care homes.

I also kind of assumed that the military assistance would be mostly sent to public care homes rather then private homes with deeper pockets

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

@Chicken. love the Whitecaps mask! Wife and I ordered ours weeks ago and are still waiting. 

Worth the wait - it's a quality mask. I think it is a 1-size fits all though so I heard a few people found them a bit tight to cover the nose/chin.

I bought it to support the Aquarium  - not the lousy whitecaps :P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic