The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually you're kind of getting your back up for no reason. If you want to listen to generalized info, thats fine. It doesn't do you nearly as much good as listening to people who are paying attention to the actual details in BC. 

BC has no relevance to the discussion. This website reaches the world as does the virus.

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

You sound smart.

tell me.  How intelligent is it to close the borders when the virus is already prominent in every major province and city.  I'm sincerely curious, please tell us.

That's like saying close the gate, the horses are already out of the barn.

Its obvious that the borders should be cut off and it is intelligent the countries that cut borders off early like russia etc have little to no  virus based on them jumping on it early 

8 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Pence says thousands of cases compared to how many??

Gee, that’s a tough one. Do I believe Mike ‘anti-science’ Pence or a physician? I’ll get back to you on that. 

Similar to Trump saying anyone who wants to be tested can be tested. There are not enough test kits,ventilators or hospital beds!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but he can't tell you anything about whats going on in BC, and it could be misleading if he's talking about things from a US perspective. IMO its important to cut out the noise as much as possible and listen to the BC CDC. 

I agree to an extent, but the problems that countries like Italy are facing is because they refused to look international and focused only on what was happening locally. If they viewed what was happening in China as a probability of happening in their own country that would have helped prevent it no? 

Shouldn’t BC and Canada be preparing for the possibility that what is happening in Italy could come here rather than ignoring other countries perspectives? 

It is good to take advice and explanations from everywhere. That way you have no bias and have a broad understanding rather than just one single source. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but he can't tell you anything about whats going on in BC, and it could be misleading if he's talking about things from a US perspective. IMO its important to cut out the noise as much as possible and listen to the BC CDC. 

The director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy is not 'noise'.

The manner of transmission of a global pandemic (the subject you and Coast seem intent on arguing...and ignoring) does not have a 'US perspective'. By all means, his views on how the US medical system are going to handle it etc are probably less relevant. How it's transmitted...not at all.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

Gee, that’s a tough one. Do I believe Mike ‘anti-science’ Pence or a physician? I’ll get back to you on that. 

Similar to Trump saying anyone who wants to be tested can be tested. There are not enough test kits,ventilators or hospital beds!

China seems to have managed to stop the spread of the virus at around 80,000 out of 1 billion people. Or they are just lying about it. 

Just now, Petey40 said:

I agree to an extent, but the problems that countries like Italy are facing is because they refused to look international and focused only on what was happening locally. If they viewed what was happening in China as a probability of happening in their own country that would have helped prevent it no? 

Shouldn’t BC and Canada be preparing for the possibility that what is happening in Italy could come here rather than ignoring other countries perspectives? 

It is good to take advice and explanations from everywhere. That way you have no bias and have a broad understanding rather than just one single source. 

I have confidence that the health experts at the BC CDC will let us know if there are additional precautions we need to take. And we are preparing. 

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

you are spinning around

don't get dizzy

bc medical authorities are in fact doing exactly what you are suggesting

they are qualified to assess all this information

and are doing so

yet you wish for some reason to downplay their role and efforts

why is that exactly ?

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

you are spinning around

don't get dizzy

and are doing so

why is that exactly ?

How hard is it for Joe blow to assess the difference between contact borne and airborne?  I'm 100% certain you don't need a medical degree to figure the implications of one vs. the other out.  

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy is not 'noise'.

The manner of transmission of a global pandemic (the subject you and Coast seem intent on arguing...and ignoring) does not have a 'US perspective'. By all means, his views on how the US medical system are going to handle it etc are probably less relevant. How it's transmitted...not at all.

The BC CDC will be on top of the most recent information, both international and local. JRE might already be out of date. Stick with the local experts who are most up to date with our local conditions. 

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are spinning around

don't get dizzy

and are doing so

why is that exactly ?

Like I said in a post earlier I won’t be downplaying them and I’ll be looking at information that comes out locally and internationally. You are downplaying the most qualified experts in the world on this subject and looking only at local sources. It is far better to look at multiple sources and make an educated judgement based off that rather than looking at one source and basing all opinions off of that. That applies to every aspect of news not just diseases.

Edited by Petey40

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

How hard is it for Joe blow to assess the difference between contact borne and airborne?  I'm 100% certain you don't need a medical degree to figure the implications of one vs. the other out.  

no one other then inferences gleaned from posters on here

have suggested the virus is contact borne

the issue is more subtle

it is spittle risk

but i will not attempt to paraphrase statements of experts

but again direct people to review what local authorities are saying

as they have extremely comprehensive information available

that covers all this

you can learn about all the subtle issues relating to this virus crisis

https://globalnews.ca/news/6663168/coronavirus-bc-health-daily-update/

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have confidence that the health experts at the BC CDC will let us know if there are additional precautions we need to take. And we are preparing. 

Its too late for BC they should have shut down air traffic to china, Iran, and Italy. People are still riding the Skytrain.