The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Do you have a quote of them saying that?

we were told that directly today........well not that they can't, but that it's very unlikely.  They also told us it won't transmit on paper, cardboard or books.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

we were told that directly today........well not that they can't, but that it's very unlikely.  They also told us it won't transmit on paper, cardboard or books.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

They also told us it won't transmit on paper, cardboard or books

I'm guessing "they" are the school superintendents or principals? I'd ask them to show me the studies that prove it won't transmit in that way. afaik the virus will survive for hours on surfaces.

I'm not in favour of schools starting at this time, seems the higher up admin folk need more time to get up to speed on this virus. I don't doubt there are going to be mistakes, as the powers that be have already said it will be a dry run or primer on how to cope next year. To me this admits they don't know if they are doing the right thing and are just "trying it to see what happens".   Unacceptable.

The only reason I posted anything is because someone   attributed a statement to Dr. Henry and Horgan, but  they seem unable to find a quote.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Oh! Oh! I know! What Is the best thing to do during a world pandemic?

President Trump Announces That U.S. Will Leave WHO

Meanwhile the entire country is protesting/rioting... Minneapolis, Columbus, Chicago, Washington(The White House was locked down today), Denver, Kentucky, Phoenix. I’m probably missing some but it’s getting pretty crazy down there. Horrible response to a pandemic and just corrupt leadership/police force. Sad to see but unsurprising that there is civil unrest. 

Edited by Petey40
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Meanwhile the entire country is protesting/rioting... Minneapolis, Columbus, Chicago, Washington(The White House was locked down today), Denver, Kentucky, Phoenix. I’m probably missing some but it’s getting pretty crazy down there. Horrible response to a pandemic and just corrupt leadership/police force. Sad to see but unsurprising that there is civil unrest. 

All those people, protesting all together. How many of those folk are going to get this virus?

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

All those people, protesting all together. How many of those folk are going to get this virus?

The ones that don’t die will vote.

...if they get there...

Edited by Me_

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I'm guessing "they" are the school superintendents or principals? I'd ask them to show me the studies that prove it won't transmit in that way. afaik the virus will survive for hours on surfaces.

I'm not in favour of schools starting at this time, seems the higher up admin folk need more time to get up to speed on this virus. I don't doubt there are going to be mistakes, as the powers that be have already said it will be a dry run or primer on how to cope next year. To me this admits they don't know if they are doing the right thing and are just "trying it to see what happens".   Unacceptable.

The only reason I posted anything is because someone   attributed a statement to Dr. Henry and Horgan, but  they seem unable to find a quote.

The district, on the word of the Provincial Health Authority.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The district, on the word of the Provincial Health Authority.

This decision is 100% on Dr. Bonnie and Horgan.

Quebec - 20 teachers and 20 kids infected since their return.

If  the BC decision cost seniors lives.... it will be on Dr. Bonnie and on Horgan.  No PPE for kids and teachers seems criminal to many of us. 

• Upvote 1

One of my fav tweets of the day...

“How did we become a province that experiments with our children’s safety while the rest of the country (outside Quebec) has more cautiously deemed that it’s not worth the risk?“ https://vancouversun.com/opinion/danielle-zagar-return-to-school-june-1-holds-potential-for-disaster-whats-the-actual-impetus-for-the-rush #bced #bcpoli

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Cultass lake today. Looks like a lot of these folks could be sitting in a classroom on Monday too.

IMG-20200529-WA0010.jpg

Shots like this really make me worry and then I think, maybe that's not really that many people....

But look, despite our transgressions, remember shots of Victoria Day weekend at Kits Beach, BC is still doing very well 14 days after going into so called Stage 2.  Overall, we have done very well.  It makes me like our chances vs the 2nd wave.  On the other hand, I worry about Quebec, Ontario and all 50 states.  We may be fine here but economically, we have a lot to be concerned about wrt our recovery.

• Upvote 2

I know this is the wrong thread so I feel we need a new thread dedicated to the events unfolding in the USA right now. It’s absolute anarchy and is only going to get worse. 2020 is insane.. 

Edited by Petey40
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Shots like this really make me worry and then I think, maybe that's not really that many people....

But look, despite our transgressions, remember shots of Victoria Day weekend at Kits Beach, BC is still doing very well 14 days after going into so called Stage 2.  Overall, we have done very well.  It makes me like our chances vs the 2nd wave.  On the other hand, I worry about Quebec, Ontario and all 50 states.  We may be fine here but economically, we have a lot to be concerned about wrt our recovery.

What bothers me is it's a Friday in May, during a pandemic, and I don't think I've ever seen that many people on that dock outside of a long weekend in the middle of summer 

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

What bothers me is it's a Friday in May, during a pandemic, and I don't think I've ever seen that many people on that dock outside of a long weekend in the middle of summer 

Many of us are on the longest weekend of our lives.

• Cheers 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/what-bc-can-teach-quebec-about-controlling-outbreaks/ar-BB14NIlR?ocid=spartandhp

British Columbia, population 5 million, has seen 164 COVID-19 deaths, 112 of them at its acute and long-term care facilities.

Quebec, population 8.5 million, has suffered 4,363 deaths, Canada’s worst record by far. At last count, 2,786 fatalities have been residents of the province’s long-term care centres, known as CHSLDs . Another 908 deaths have been residents of private care facilities, for a total of 3,694 deaths so far

Since the outbreak, 52 people have died in BC who did not reside in a Care Home.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Petey40 said:

I know this is the wrong thread so I feel we need a new thread dedicated to the events unfolding in the USA right now. It’s absolute anarchy and is only going to get worse. 2020 is insane.. 

A lot of the talk so far has been in the Trump and World Events threads, but you can go ahead and start one if you like.

You have the power with PowerShift | EnerStar Electric Cooperative

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/what-bc-can-teach-quebec-about-controlling-outbreaks/ar-BB14NIlR?ocid=spartandhp

British Columbia, population 5 million, has seen 164 COVID-19 deaths, 112 of them at its acute and long-term care facilities.

Quebec, population 8.5 million, has suffered 4,363 deaths, Canada’s worst record by far. At last count, 2,786 fatalities have been residents of the province’s long-term care centres, known as CHSLDs . Another 908 deaths have been residents of private care facilities, for a total of 3,694 deaths so far

Since the outbreak, 52 people have died in BC who did not reside in a Care Home.

Which means our efforts are worth it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3