The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Which means our efforts are worth it.  

"Which means" Dr. Henry, Dix and Co. did a great job right from the get go, especially with their actions in the Care Homes. It appears the longer this virus was allowed to freely move about the population at the onset, determined how bad the numbers were going to get, going forward. Some of the more "stubborn" leaders are paying for their actions now.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Which means those who think it's just "the flu" will now claim they were right all along.

Except if they take off the blindfolds and look East they'll get the real deal.  What happens when you abandon the program to go rub shoulders with your bros...

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I dunno....I think it has to do with a lot of the conversation becoming cyclical....

Kos telling us that BC is broken, Samurai telling us how Japan would do it and what's his name telling us to take our vitamin D....rinse and repeat...

I also feel that we've been DESPERATE for sports/hockey and as the rumblings of those things start, it's something positive to focus on.  It's sparked some actual hockey related content!  (Wahoooo!)

For me, that's the case...that it gets to be overkill (as you've stated).  We all know, by now, what seems to work/not and it's more a matter of either believing/following what's showing to be effective or abandoning it because we're "over it already".  But we're not.

• Upvote 4

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I also feel that we've been DESPERATE for sports/hockey and as the rumblings of those things start, it's something positive to focus on.

For me, that's the case...that it gets to be overkill (as you've stated).  We all know, by now, what seems to work/not and it's more a matter of just either believing/following what's showing to be effective or abandoning it because we're "over it already".  But we're not.

It isn't even a case of what they're saying has no merit....it's just that they're saying it over and over and over....

After a while, people just change the channel....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The drastically reduced traffic of this thread worries me greatly.

It may mean that many of the posters have now eased their thinking regarding Covid-19.

Very worrisome.

We have the "far left" and the "far right" and somewhere in "between", we have common sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I dunno....I think it has to do with a lot of the conversation becoming cyclical....

Kos telling us that BC is broken, Samurai telling us how Japan would do it and what's his name telling us to take our vitamin D....rinse and repeat...

the international comparisons are good to know about, it helps to see what the common best practices are. Clearly its distance+washing+masks, the rest of its noise. 

• Upvote 1

Gong . S...  show... 

A very different school day

When Foster goes back to her Surrey high school next week, things will be much different.

Before the pandemic the schedule was based on four 77-minute classes per day. Now there will be five 63-minute classes with no more than six students per class. Students who choose to return will only attend one class per day, and the school will be closed for deep cleaning on Wednesdays.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gong . S...  show... 

A very different school day

When Foster goes back to her Surrey high school next week, things will be much different.

Before the pandemic the schedule was based on four 77-minute classes per day. Now there will be five 63-minute classes with no more than six students per class. Students who choose to return will only attend one class per day, and the school will be closed for deep cleaning on Wednesdays.

the HELLLL is the point.

• Haha 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/vietnam-how-this-country-of-95-million-kept-its-coronavirus-death-toll-at-zero/ar-BB14NlV5?ocid=spartandhp

After a three-week nationwide lockdown, Vietnam lifted social distancing rules in late April. It hasn't reported any local infections for more than 40 days. Businesses and schools have reopened, and life is gradually returning to normal.

To skeptics, Vietnam's official numbers may seem too good to be true. But Guy Thwaites, an infectious disease doctor who works in one of the main hospitals designated by the Vietnamese government to treat Covid-19 patients, said the numbers matched the reality on the ground.

Advertisement

"I go to the wards every day, I know the cases, I know there has been no death," said Thwaites, who also heads the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Ho Chi Minh City.

"If you had unreported or uncontrolled community transmission, then we'll be seeing cases in our hospital, people coming in with chest infections perhaps not diagnosed -- that has never happened," he said.

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/vietnam-how-this-country-of-95-million-kept-its-coronavirus-death-toll-at-zero/ar-BB14NlV5?ocid=spartandhp

After a three-week nationwide lockdown, Vietnam lifted social distancing rules in late April. It hasn't reported any local infections for more than 40 days. Businesses and schools have reopened, and life is gradually returning to normal.

To skeptics, Vietnam's official numbers may seem too good to be true. But Guy Thwaites, an infectious disease doctor who works in one of the main hospitals designated by the Vietnamese government to treat Covid-19 patients, said the numbers matched the reality on the ground.

Advertisement

"I go to the wards every day, I know the cases, I know there has been no death," said Thwaites, who also heads the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Ho Chi Minh City.

"If you had unreported or uncontrolled community transmission, then we'll be seeing cases in our hospital, people coming in with chest infections perhaps not diagnosed -- that has never happened," he said.

#nguyeninng

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Advertisement

You only quoted part....they hit it early (before it arrived in VietNam) and hard.

It wasn't that they "just" locked down for a few weeks then it was a success. 

Acting early

Vietnam started preparing for a coronavirus outbreak weeks before its first case was detected.

At the time, the Chinese authorities and the World Health Organization had both maintained that there was no "clear evidence'' for human-to-human transmission. But Vietnam was not taking any chances.

"We were not only waiting for guidelines from WHO. We used the data we gathered from outside and inside (the country to) decide to take action early," said Pham Quang Thai, deputy head of the Infection Control Department at the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology in Hanoi.

By early January, temperature screening was already in place for passengers arriving from Wuhan at Hanoi's international airport. Travelers found with a fever were isolated and closely monitored, the country's national broadcaster reported at the time.

By mid-January, Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam was ordering government agencies to take "drastic measures" to prevent the disease from spreading into Vietnam, strengthening medical quarantine at border gates, airports and seaports.

On January 23, Vietnam confirmed its first two coronavirus cases -- a Chinese national living in Vietnam and his father, who had traveled from Wuhan to visit his son. The next day, Vietnam's aviation authorities canceled all flights to and from Wuhan.

As the country celebrated the Lunar New Year holiday, its Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc declared war on the coronavirus. "Fighting this epidemic is like fighting the enemy," he said at an urgent Communist Party meeting on January 27. Three days later, he set up a national steering committee on controlling the outbreak -- the same day the WHO declared the coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern.

On February 1, Vietnam declared a national epidemic -- with just six confirmed cases recorded across the country. All flights between Vietnam and China were halted, followed by the suspension of visas to Chinese citizens the next day.

Over the course of the month, the travel restrictions, arrival quarantines and visa suspensions expanded in scope as the coronavirus spread beyond China to countries like South Korea, Iran and Italy. Vietnam eventually suspended entry to all foreigners in late March.

Vietnam was also quick to take proactive lockdown measures. On February 12, it locked down an entire rural community of 10,000 people north of Hanoi for 20 days over seven coronavirus cases -- the first large-scale lockdown known outside China. Schools and universities, which had been scheduled to reopen in February after the Lunar New Year holiday, were ordered to remain closed, and only reopened in May.

Thwaites, the infectious disease expert in Ho Chi Minh City, said the speed of Vietnam's response was the main reason behind its success.

"Their actions in late January and early February were very much in advance of many other countries. And that was enormously helpful ... for them to be able to retain control," he said.

Meticulous contact-tracing....(Cont'd)

• Vintage 1