The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You gotta ask the teacher's union why aren't they protecting their members.

Yupp.  Also, you gotta ask BC government why they aren't protecting our kids....

PPE should be supplied and mandatory. 

When 1 re-opened school in Israel has 130 kids and 15 teachers infected....  3 parents.

This virus has asymptomatic carriers....    people need to be protected ( PPE )  when effective social distancing is not likely to happen.

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

You gotta ask BC government why they aren't protecting our kids....

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  The PHO and MOH has outlined the guidelines that businesses and institutions must use to operate under Covid.  There has never been a mandate to require by the law the use of PPE for the public.  In fact I don't know of too many jurisdictions that require mask use by law.  Individual businesses or institutions have to come up with a working plan based on the guidelines set by the Province in conjuction with WorkSafe BC.   Some businesses have in their plan the requirement to for the public to use PPE when entering their premises.  They are allowed to do this.  T&T in Metrotown requires mask use.  Those that don't comply will be asked to leave.  For those that accuse the business of violating their rights, the courts may decide that the business is acting reasonably and throw that out.

You should be asking why the School Board, Trustee's or the BCTF is not requiring or demanding the use of PPE.  They are the ones responsible for formulating a plan.  

I don't know who is pushing for schools to re-open again tomorrow but I don't think its Bonnie Henry.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  The PHO and MOH has outlined the guidelines that businesses and institutions must use to operate under Covid.  There has never been a mandate to require by the law the use of PPE for the public.  In fact I don't know of too many jurisdictions that require mask use by law.  Individual businesses or institutions have to come up with a working plan based on the guidelines set by the Province in conjuction with WorkSafe BC.   Some businesses have in their plan the requirement to for the public to use PPE when entering their premises.  They are allowed to do this.  T&T in Metrotown requires mask use.  Those that don't comply will be asked to leave.  For those that accuse the business of violating their rights, the courts may decide that the business is acting reasonably and throw that out.

You should be asking why the School Board, Trustee's or the BCTF is not requiring or demanding the use of PPE.  They are the ones responsible for formulating a plan.  

I don't know who is pushing for schools to re-open again tomorrow but I don't think its Bonnie Henry.

Latest news is pretty scarey...

In a sourced commentary in the publication Science, three university researchers from the United States and Taiwan — an atmospheric chemist, researcher in infectious disease and public health and a chemist specializing in aerosols — say that unlike some respiratory viruses, which spread through droplets, a growing body of evidence has found that much of the spread of COVID-19 “appears to be occurring through airborne transmission of aerosols produced by asymptomatic individuals during breathing and speaking.”

So while the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends keeping a two-metre distance from others and washing your hands frequently to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, those measures “are based on studies of respiratory droplets carried out in the 1930s” when “technology did not exist for detecting submicron aerosols,” according to the authors.

“Measurements now show that intense coughs and sneezes that propel larger droplets more than 20 ft. (six metres) can also create thousands of aerosols that can travel even further.” 

Some of the most important places to wear masks are where high concentrations of the virus can accumulate, such as airplanes, restaurants, health care settings and other crowded spaces, they wrote.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/latest-news/two-metres-likely-not-enough-spread-covid-19-experts-2394948

Edited by kingofsurrey

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Latest news is pretty scarey...

In a sourced commentary in the publication Science, three university researchers from the United States and Taiwan — an atmospheric chemist, researcher in infectious disease and public health and a chemist specializing in aerosols — say that unlike some respiratory viruses, which spread through droplets, a growing body of evidence has found that much of the spread of COVID-19 “appears to be occurring through airborne transmission of aerosols produced by asymptomatic individuals during breathing and speaking.”

So while the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends keeping a two-metre distance from others and washing your hands frequently to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, those measures “are based on studies of respiratory droplets carried out in the 1930s” when “technology did not exist for detecting submicron aerosols,” according to the authors.

“Measurements now show that intense coughs and sneezes that propel larger droplets more than 20 ft. (six metres) can also create thousands of aerosols that can travel even further.” 

Some of the most important places to wear masks are where high concentrations of the virus can accumulate, such as airplanes, restaurants, health care settings and other crowded spaces, they wrote.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/latest-news/two-metres-likely-not-enough-spread-covid-19-experts-2394948

Well, washing your hands works well regardless.  It is well known that many sicknesses arrive via touching things and sticking your fingers in various orifices like eyes, nose, ears or mouth.  I think common sense would also tell you that a cough or sneeze would travel further than 6 feet.  Keep away from coughers....

I'm not setting my hair on fire over this.  The lesson here is to be aware of others.

On the other hand, it's certainly a good idea to point out these facts to people.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yupp.  Also, you gotta ask BC government why they aren't protecting our kids....

PPE should be supplied and mandatory. 

When 1 re-opened school in Israel has 130 kids and 15 teachers infected....  3 parents.

This virus has asymptomatic carriers....    people need to be protected ( PPE )  when effective social distancing is not likely to happen.

Look, it all depends on the local population in general.  Because Israel has had a bad result, doesn't mean that BC will.   There are a bunch of factors.

Having said that, many states are opening back ahead of time and I think that we may see bad results elsewhere.  Local authorities have to be very careful.  BC went into Stage 2 on May 19.  14 days is Tuesday, June 2.  The date that Dr Henry is really watching is 2 incubation periods after going to Stage 2 which would be June 16.  If we are seeing a spike in this coming week, then we may have something to worry about.  At this point, the numbers are still good.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Look, it all depends on the local population in general.  Because Israel has had a bad result, doesn't mean that BC will.   There are a bunch of factors.

Having said that, many states are opening back ahead of time and I think that we may see bad results elsewhere.  Local authorities have to be very careful.  BC went into Stage 2 on May 19.  14 days is Tuesday, June 2.  The date that Dr Henry is really watching is 2 incubation periods after going to Stage 2 which would be June 16.  If we are seeing a spike in this coming week, then we may have something to worry about.  At this point, the numbers are still good.

Agreed. Keep fingers crossed.   Great work in BC was done in March to Mid May....

From what i have seen this week... many people are no longer social distancing.

Big party in my neighbourhood friday night....     Most shoppers  at Costco are refusing to wear free provided masks...

Small kids in my neighbourhood playing in groups of 10 with  hugging and no space given to each other.

I really hope we don't mess this up. I do not want to go back to lockdown mode.   People in BC need to smarten up.  The virus is still here in BC and it is just looking for hosts.....  

Edited by kingofsurrey

34 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed. Keep fingers crossed.   Great work in BC was done in March to Mid May....

Big party in my neighbourhood friday night....     Most shoppers  at Costco are refusing to wear free provided masks...

Small kids in my neighbourhood playing in groups of 10 with  hugging and no space given to each other.

I really hope we don't mess this up. I do not want to go back to lockdown mode.   People in BC need to smarten up.  The virus is still here in BC and it is just looking for hosts.....  

don't forget about the protest at the Art Gallery

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wloutet said:

How do I get to be more than a "Comet's Prospect"???

I think it's number of posts?  I seem to have migrated to Comets Star status....had nothing to do with my actual hockey ability clearly LOL! 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, skategal said:

I think it's number of posts?  I seem to have migrated to Comets Star status....had nothing to do with my actual hockey ability clearly LOL! 

Correct. It maxes out at a certain level....Hall of Famer, I think.

I asked Stealth for my "special" status.....^_^

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

The rioting and burning down south is worrisome on so many levels. I wonder what the COVID-19 rates will be in 2 or 3 weeks done there. Where is Mr. T-Rump on this?

This is what I was thinking. Not only in the USA, but with protests in Canada now and several countries in Europe, could expect the total number of cases overall to rise in the coming weeks.

24 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is what I was thinking. Not only in the USA, but with protests in Canada now and several countries in Europe, could expect the total number of cases overall to rise in the coming weeks.

Me three... and we were so close to getting sports back :mad:  Maybe 2021... 

(selfish I know..)

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

It'll come back once they open the border/allow international travel. We'll be back where we were when this started, if not worse.