The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, one of the best monikers I've ever seen was a Oldtimers hockey team that once I played against.....

.....they were sponsored by Esso and they called themselves the "B's".....

I am starting a roller hockey team, The White Rock Smokers - cause we'll smoke the competition.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I am starting a roller hockey team, The White Rock Smokers - cause we'll smoke the competition.

Bowling alley I used to work at (Splitsville) sponsored a beer league team called the "Shockers". Take a guess at the logo graphic...:picard:

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, Me_ said:

The drastically reduced traffic of this thread worries me greatly.

It may mean that many of the posters have now eased their thinking regarding Covid-19.

This reflects my own real-life experience. 

I had to go to the grocery store the other day so I moved my once-per-week grocery shop to wed instead of Fri morning and I was shocked. 

Since the last time I was at the store (I think May 22) a lot has changed.  My grocery store is on the other side of a huge complex of big-box stores so I drove through the main strip just to see what's what and it was packed.  I wouldn't have been able to find a parking spot even if I wanted to (I didn't).  No social distancing being visibly followed on the sidewalk and almost nobody wearing masks.  Both Costco and Home Depot which had pretty good distancing measures in place to enter their premises no longer practicing this whatsover (at least not outside like they were before).  I know that Costco, who previously shut down their food concession, has reopened because there were several people in the parking lot with the good old costco hot-dog/drink specials.  Even in my grocery store they took down the sign over the shopping carts indicating they were sanitized presumably meaning they are no longer doing this for customers so in approximately a week - there have been substantial changes towards 'business as usual' for better or worse.  

We all knew the measures wouldn't last forever, but I was hoping some of them would be in place until this 'second wave' was upon us for preventative measures if nothing else. 

Edited by Fanuck
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This reflects my own real-life experience. 

I had to go to the grocery store the other day so I moved my once-per-week grocery shop to wed instead of Fri morning and I was shocked. 

Since the last time I was at the store (I think May 22) a lot has changed.  My grocery store is on the other side of a huge complex of big-box stores so I drove through the main strip just to see what's what and it was packed.  I wouldn't have been able to find a parking spot even if I wanted to (I didn't).  No social distancing being visibly followed on the sidewalk and almost nobody wearing masks.  Both Costco and Home Depot which had pretty good distancing measures in place to enter their premises no longer practicing this whatsover (at least not outside like they were before).  I know that Costco, who previously shut down their food concession, has reopened because there were several people in the parking lot with the good old costco hot-dog/drink specials.  Even in my grocery store they took down the sign over the shopping carts indicating they were sanitized presumably meaning they are no longer doing this for customers so in approximately a week - there have been substantial changes towards 'business as usual' for better or worse.  

We all knew the measures wouldn't last forever, but I was hoping some of them would be in place until this 'second wave' was upon us for preventative measures if nothing else. 

Costco seems to only have hot dogs and ice cream or full pizza for takeout.  All the other things are "unavailable" right now when I was there last week.  Also offered both masks and sanitizer as soon as you entered the store.

When abouts did you go to HomeDepot?  In the mornings they still have the lineups, and still have someone counting to make sure theirs only a certain amount of people going in there.  I gotta say though, its way less packed than when they first had shutdowns and everyone figured it was a good time to go get renos done.  They also had gloves and sanitizer available for those that needed it.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC government has let down its students / parents  and schools staffs

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-returning-bc-kids-to-class-this-year-would-be-a-colossal-waste-of/

For the thousandth time?  

If nothing happens and the school year ends with no outbreaks of COVID, will you admit you might have been incorrect?  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

For the thousandth time?  

If nothing happens and the school year ends with no outbreaks of COVID, will you admit you might have been incorrect?  

why take the chance for 4 weeks?

1 hour ago, skategal said:

For the thousandth time?  

My neighbour has a primary class. 4 kids on mon/tues and 1 kid comes thurs/Friday.   This basically wastes 4 days of her week as a daycare instructor...  her principal says no new instruction.... just social activities pretty much.. and now she has next to zero time to zoom teacher her other 20 kids....       

?

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC government has let down its students / parents  and schools staffs

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-returning-bc-kids-to-class-this-year-would-be-a-colossal-waste-of/

That article is totally out to lunch.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the spring’s online learning experiment and the current return to class have both been a colossal waste of time and effort.

It's not like they planned for the pandemic to happen.  Considering public education has been face-to-face for longer than any of us have been alive, I would say that they pivoted fairly well.  Asking teachers who have been teaching on chalkboards all their career to suddenly start teaching remotely with little to no lead time was a monumental ask.  From what I have seen, teachers have responded extraordinarily well.

In our opinion, rather than trying to salvage the current school year, the government, school boards and teachers should have been putting all their efforts this spring into preparing for September.

They haven't been trying to salvage the current year at all.  Everything they have done has been about preparing for September.

To start, it would have been helpful for the government – or at least school boards – to acquire a learning management system that would be used by all teachers.

They already have one and have been using it very well.

Second, teachers need lots of time to reconceptualize how to teach online. While much of the same content can be taught online, it cannot be taught in the same way. And it takes time – a lot of time – to figure out how to deliver the content effectively in this new medium.

Right.  And that doesn't happen by not teaching.  It happens by trying things out, seeing what works and what doesn't and sharing those results with their peers.  Like they have been doing since the disruption started.

The article goes on, but just keeps re-hashing the same points, all of which are missing the point. 

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

That article is totally out to lunch.

It's not like they planned for the pandemic to happen.  Considering public education has been face-to-face for longer than any of us have been alive, I would say that they pivoted fairly well.  Asking teachers who have been teaching on chalkboards all their career to suddenly start teaching remotely with little to no lead time was a monumental ask.  From what I have seen, teachers have responded extraordinarily well.

They haven't been trying to salvage the current year at all.  Everything they have done has been about preparing for September.

They already have one and have been using it very well.

Right.  And that doesn't happen by not teaching.  It happens by trying things out, seeing what works and what doesn't and sharing those results with their peers.  Like they have been doing since the disruption started.

The article goes on, but just keeps re-hashing the same points, all of which are missing the point. 

Replying to
Yup. We are pulling our kids. It's pointless. The teachers are paranoid, freaking out, and working to rule. It's chaotic and they are making it clear to the kids who DO show up that they don't want them there. Super disappointing. #bcpoli #cdnpoli #bced #COVID19PSYOP
Edited by kingofsurrey

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Here is the reality..  from twitter

Replying to
Yup. We are pulling our kids. It's pointless. The teachers are paranoid, freaking out, and working to rule. It's chaotic and they are making it clear to the kids who DO show up that they don't want them there. Super disappointing. #bcpoli #cdnpoli #bced #COVID19PSYOP

I don't get my reality about BC public schools from Twitter.  I get it from my wife, who is a teacher in the BC public school system.

• Cheers 1

have one and have been using it very well.

Asking BC teachers to teach their online students....  while at the same time teach their students attending school all day.... while also being custodians...  while also being safety social distance inspectors..    -

Edited by kingofsurrey

I don't get my reality about BC public schools from Twitter.  I get it from my wife, who is a teacher in the BC public school system.

Good for you, you should get info from all kinds of various sources...  talk to some kids that are attending... kids will probably give you some truth....    Wish your wife good luck. ..  Big respect for teachers... super hard job. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Good for you.  Right now it is a gongshow in our schools.  Wish your wife good luck.  She will need it.   Big respect for teachers... super hard job. 

It is.  She works her ass off.

And I won't deny that it is a bit of a gongshow but considering how quickly they have had to adapt I say they have done an amazing job.  All this spring has been is a dry run for next year.  That is when we will hopefully see the benefits of what the out-to-lunch columnists are referring to as wasted time.

I teach remotely for a living.  But I have been doing it for over ten years.  It's not something you can just pick up overnight or by watching a couple of webinars.  And I get to teach adults.  Way easier than what they are going through.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

You know, maybe there's not a lot to talk about, and I have nothing but the upmost respect for teachers. I get it. It doesn't feel right.

But every time I look in this thread at the moment it's about the teachers, and it's literally the same posts just regurgitated in some other manner.

Can we like... talk about other things? Maybe?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It is.  She works her ass off.

And I won't deny that it is a bit of a gongshow but considering how quickly they have had to adapt I say they have done an amazing job.  All this spring has been is a dry run for next year.  That is when we will hopefully see the benefits of what the out-to-lunch columnists are referring to as wasted time.

I teach remotely for a living.  But I have been doing it for over ten years.  It's not something you can just pick up overnight or by watching a couple of webinars.  And I get to teach adults.  Way easier than what they are going through.

Yup, my neighbours zoom meets 7 yr olds and teaches them all in French.. which the kids are now just learning.......

First she was forced to use Teams...   then later allowed to use Zoom...

Seems like every couple of weeks , the teachers are forced to pivot and work in completely new ways....

t.  Teachers are pleasers though.... so they always just suck it up and try to do their best...

Super tough job.    I think alot of teachers will be burning out very quickly......   

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You know, maybe there's not a lot to talk about, and I have nothing but the upmost respect for teachers. I get it. It doesn't feel right.

But every time I look in this thread at the moment it's about the teachers, and it's literally the same posts just regurgitated in some other manner.

Can we like... talk about other things? Maybe?

What do you want to talk about.... ?  

What do you want to talk about.... ?  

I didn't have much of a plan to be honest. Mostly just hoping the conversation could shift even a little bit I guess. lol

I actually went to a pub last night though. It felt weird but it worked they way they had things. Up here though, there's only 2 known cases last time I checked.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I didn't have much of a plan to be honest. Mostly just hoping the conversation could shift even a little bit I guess. lol

I actually went to a pub last night though. It felt weird but it worked they way they had things. Up here though, there's only 2 known cases last time I checked.

yah i miss the pub... I used to go every thursday evening after my rec hockey game.... miss the guiness and the banter with my mates..