The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

yah i miss the pub... I used to go every thursday evening after my rec hockey game.... miss the guiness and the banter with my mates..

Pubs are fun. I even got asked to do karaoke on the weekend but I don't know if I'm quite ready for that yet. lol

And good choice with the Guinness.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Pubs are fun. I even got asked to do karaoke on the weekend but I don't know if I'm quite ready for that yet. lol

And good choice with the Guinness.

My problem with karaoke is that i would need to totally wrecked as i get nervous in front of strangers.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

My problem with karaoke is that i would need to totally wrecked as i get nervous in front of strangers.....

I don't really want to get that hammered.      My youngest daughter is in a band ( singer )  and loves to do karaoke...... she had my wife join her at a pub in Cancun last year.

It was pretty awesome. 

That's awesome. I'd love to be in a band. Maybe at some point I will, who knows. Cancun sounds fun too. I want to see more of the world.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

That's awesome. I'd love to be in a band. Maybe at some point I will, who knows. Cancun sounds fun too. I want to see more of the world.

Daughters band has 125,000 views on spotify.... LOL...

Its just a hobby but they did go to LA and Tokyo last year with it - all paid trips.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I don't get my reality about BC public schools from Twitter.  I get it from my wife, who is a teacher in the BC public school system.

I'm a teacher, that's not the reality at all.  True most of us don't agree with coming back, bit no teacher that I know is doing anything but making kids feel safe and loved

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm a teacher, that's not the reality at all.  True most of us don't agree with coming back, bit no teacher that I know is doing anything but making kids feel safe and loved

The plan of  having 1-2 kids attend school  all day..... yet the same teacher is expected to support home learning for the other 20 students at the same time that stay home all week......

Well this will only burn out our teachers. It is super tough job and the BC plan will only frustrate  / exhaust our great BC teachers.

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

The plan of  having 1-2 kids attend school  all day..... yet the same teacher is expected to support home learning for the other 20 students at the same time that stay home all week......

Well this will only burn out our teachers. It is super tough job and the BC plan will only frustrate  / exhaust our great BC teachers.

That's not the plan though KOS. Both my kids are back Monday/Tuesday and both had their regular teacher Monday and a different teacher (of the same grade) today.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

That's not the plan though KOS. Both my kids are back Monday/Tuesday and both had their regular teacher Monday and a different teacher (of the same grade) today.

I think you are mistaken

The plan is group A is.   2 days...   Group B is 2 days...  the 5th day is for teacher  prep / zoom meetings / and deep clean the room.

This is how it works in every lower mainland city i know of. 

Sounds like your kids teacher went on stress leave today... LOL>...

Edited by kingofsurrey

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think you are mistaken

The plan is group A is.   2 days...   Group B is 2 days...  the 5th day is for teacher  prep / zoom meetings / and deep clean the room.

This is how it works in every lower mainland city i know of. 

Sounds like your kids teacher went on stress leave today... LOL>...

And I'm not mistaken, I know my kids teachers, and so do they.

Just because Surrey has idiots running their school board doesn't mean District 61 has to follow their lead.

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

And I'm not mistaken, I know my kids teachers, and so do they.

Just because Surrey has idiots running their school board doesn't mean District 61 has to follow their lead.

I see no reason why your kids would have different teachers....   that is just another way to spread covid....  hopefully your kids teacher is OK and makes it back to work soon and did not go on stress leave after the first day back.

Edited by kingofsurrey

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well I guess that's just another reason why Vancouver Island is waaayyyyyy better than the mainland.

Weird how not many people want to live on the island and so many want to live on the lower mainland...... LOL 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I see no reason why your kids would have different teachers....  hopefully your kids teacher is OK and makes it back to work soon..

Teachers

Both had different teachers.

Based on what I'm seeing at the school, almost no one sent their kids back. My son's grade 5 class is now a blend of the 3 original classes, 12 kids total. So 12/60.

My daughter's in grade 1. There's normally 3 full classes, but now there's 2 with 7 kids in each class.

Teachers

Both had different teachers.

Based on what I'm seeing at the school, almost no one sent their kids back. My son's grade 5 class is now a blend of the 3 original classes, 12 kids total. So 12/60.

My daughter's in grade 1. There's normally 3 full classes, but now there's 2 with 7 kids in each class.

OK - yes  .  Sounds like they combined classes to make larger groups..kids and teachers probably find it better when the group is a bit bigger eg...   5-10 kids.     and teachers are taking turns teaching the larger group. Probably doing online support when not teaching ... for their home stay kids.

Smart approach.      

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Weird how not many people want to live on the island and so many want to live on the lower mainland...... LOL 

Fyi, we dont actually want anyone moving here. The Island is closed.

And we've had 1 case of COVID in the last 3 weeks (and the jackass came from Albertica).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

OK - yes  .  Sounds like they combined classes to make larger groups..kids and teachers probably find it better when the group is a bit bigger eg...   5-10 kids.     and teachers are taking turns teaching the larger group. Probably doing online support when not teaching ... for their home stay kids.

Smart approach.      

Exactly.

Chalk up another win for the Island.

Fyi, we dont actually want anyone moving here. The Island is closed.

And we've had 1 case of COVID in the last 3 weeks (and the jackass came from Albertica).

I love the island. Spent pretty much every summer as a kid up by Black Creek / Oyster river area....  fishing and crabbing.

My daughter fiancee is from Nanoose.....       my youngest  is uvic grad.. LOL 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love the island. Spent pretty much every summer as a kid up by Black Creek / Oyster river area....  fishing and crabbing.

My daughter fiancee is from Nanoose.....       my youngest  is uvic grad.. LOL 

Well I guess I'll still let you visit then.

You got lucky in more ways than one here.

34 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well I guess that's just another reason why Vancouver Island is waaayyyyyy better than the mainland.

That's the way it is in my district.  Group A is mon-tue, Wednesday is distance learning and deep clean and the only kids in school are essential workers kids.  Thu-Fri is group B.