The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

23 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Teachers

Both had different teachers.

Based on what I'm seeing at the school, almost no one sent their kids back. My son's grade 5 class is now a blend of the 3 original classes, 12 kids total. So 12/60.

My daughter's in grade 1. There's normally 3 full classes, but now there's 2 with 7 kids in each class.

We had that discussion and pretty much every teacher wanted their own kids, they wanted ad much continuity and normalcy for their students as they could.  Efficiency isn't always the best model.....the kids are very happy to have their regular teachers.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

We had that discussion and pretty much every teacher wanted their own kids, they wanted ad much continuity and normalcy for their students as they could.  Efficiency isn't always the best model.....the kids are very happy to have their regular teachers.

I'm not sure if the teacher swap will be routine or what. But considering the low student turnout and blended classes, I think this was probably the only way to provide some sort of continuity without overburdening the teachers.

Just now, luckylager said:

I'm not sure if the teacher swap will be routine or what. But considering the low student turnout and blended classes, I think this was probably the only way to provide some sort of continuity without overburdening the teachers.

I think most of us feel pretty ok, as far as workload goes.  There's a pretty low bar on expectations for the rest of this year.  I'm lucky to have strong admin who understand that there is a massive strain on everyone right now and their direction is to take it pretty easy and get to the finish line.  My school has very low turnout, probably 20%, but other schools in my district are in the 60-70% range and that poses a variety of problems.

Distance learning is one day a week and some teachers are live streaming some lessons to those who chose to stay home, but for the most part we're just doing our best to find a good balance between classroom and distance learning.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think most of us feel pretty ok, as far as workload goes.  There's a pretty low bar on expectations for the rest of this year.  I'm lucky to have strong admin who understand that there is a massive strain on everyone right now and their direction is to take it pretty easy and get to the finish line.  My school has very low turnout, probably 20%, but other schools in my district are in the 60-70% range and that poses a variety of problems.

Distance learning is one day a week and some teachers are live streaming some lessons to those who chose to stay home, but for the most part we're just doing our best to find a good balance between classroom and distance learning.

I'm happy you guys are back. My boy wasn't missing school at all, nor the social aspect, because he's out skateboarding, biking, shooting pucks and hanging out with the neighbourhood kids all afternoon.

My 6yro daughter... she was so happy to go back and see one of her "million friends".

I've tried to set up a few hangouts with her friends for her and it just hasn't been working out, I've been feeling pretty bad for her. The kidos need other kidos to do dumb $&!# with. 

Edited by luckylager

7 hours ago, luckylager said:

Fyi, we dont actually want anyone moving here. The Island is closed.

And we've had 1 case of COVID in the last 3 weeks (and the jackass came from Albertica).

Get Doug to patrol the coast eh?

Edited by Me_

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Weird how not many people want to live on the island and so many want to live on the lower mainland...... LOL 

Yes it is...kinda like Trump supporters. I have no idea why they choose to live in the lower drain land. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

Yah, an island is probably the best way to protect yourself from  Covid..

Edited by kingofsurrey

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

Tegnell is the brains behind Sweden’s controversial approach to fighting the virus, and the government of Stefan Lofven has deferred to the epidemiologist in its official response to the pandemic. Gatherings of more than 50 people continue to be banned, but throughout the crisis Swedes have been able to visit restaurants, go shopping, attend gyms and send children under 16 to school.

The laxer approach to containing the virus has drawn both praise and condemnation from across the globe. What is beyond debate, however, is the effect the strategy has had on the country’s death toll.

At 43 deaths per 100,000, Sweden’s mortality rate is among the highest globally and far exceeds that of neighboring Denmark and Norway, which imposed much tougher lockdowns at the onset of the pandemic.

“Clearly, there is potential for improvement in what we have done in Sweden,” Tegnell said.

The comments appeared to frustrate some members of the government. Sweden’s minister of health and social affairs, Lena Hallengren, said Tegnell “still can’t give an exact answer on what other measures should have been taken. That question remains, I think,” the minister said, according to Dagens Nyheter.

Falling Behind

Until now, Tegnell had argued that the long-term nature of the Covid-19 pandemic required a more sustainable response than severe and sudden lockdowns. Despite criticism from abroad, Tegnell’s strategy enjoyed widespread support in Sweden.

But with many other European Union countries now rolling back their lockdowns after appearing to bring Covid-19 under control, there are signs that Sweden may be left behind. That includes the freedom of movement of its citizens, as some EU countries restrict access to people coming from what are deemed high-risk Covid zones.

What’s more, there’s so far limited evidence that Sweden’s decision to leave much of its society open will support the economy. Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II, with GDP set to slump 7% in 2020, roughly as much as the rest of the EU.

The government has started to grow concerned at the apparent missteps taken to fight the spread of the virus in Sweden. On Monday, Lofven promised there’d be an inquiry into the handling of the crisis before the summer.

Some lawmakers in Sweden’s parliament were quick to weigh in. Jimmie Akesson, the leader of the anti-immigration Sweden Democrats, tweeted that the comments by Tegnell are “astonishing.”

“For months, critics have been consistently dismissed. Sweden has done everything right, the rest of the world has done it wrong. And now, suddenly, this,” Akesson said.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

Yes it is...kinda like Trump supporters. I have no idea why they choose to live in the lower drain land. 

There's good and bad everywhere. On the Island, Interior, Northern BC, Lower Mainland. 

Just appreciate what a great place we live. 

BTW if I had my stroke on Vancouver Island, and not taken to VGH I might not be here. I am eternally grateful to the paramedics who chose to send me to VGH instead of Richmond General. The awful thing is the government loves building new wings in hospitals. But refuses to staff and equip them properly. 

It probably wouldn't have helped my Dad at Nanaimo General. But the fact I spent almost a week visiting with him, and only saw nurses, I never saw a doctor once.

Yet there was construction going on all over. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

And we've had 1 case of COVID in the last 3 weeks (and the jackass came from Albertica).

the island is big enough to be its own country now. You'd be the 162nd biggest country right behind Fiji. New Albertastan would have to negotiate with you guys on shipping oi :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Lol

The Republic of Vancouver Island doesn't negotiate with terrorists.

it would be a pretty self sufficient place imo - world leader in great seafood, eco tourism and boutique weed. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be a pretty self sufficient place imo - world leader in great seafood, eco tourism and boutique weed. 

and specializing in seniors retirement living / housing......