The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

hmmmmm....this is going to turn out well...that is unless the goal is to strive for herd immunity.

I get the younger people being there, you can feel invincible at a certain age but the old folks in there have no one to blame but themselves if they end up in ICU. Thats just dumb and completely avoidable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Most school kids typically start shutting down in May or early june in a normal school year. 

It depends on the grade level and subject area. I, as most senior level Math teachers did, really liked having a Math12 Provincial. I thought it kept the students going and keen, and reviewing their year's work, much better. We coupled that with in school finals for the other secondary grades. If you want to get into the argument about final exams for Math 12, I'm willing to expand my views on this. I usually play really nicely in the sand box when a reasonable debate is going on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wloutet said:

It depends on the grade level and subject area. I, as most senior level Math teachers did, really liked having a Math12 Provincial. I thought it kept the students going and keen, and reviewing their year's work, much better. We coupled that with in school finals for the other secondary grades. If you want to get into the argument about final exams for Math 12, I'm willing to expand my views on this. I usually play really nicely in the sand box when a reasonable debate is going on.

I taught English 12 and Comm 12 for a couple of years and don't disagree with that, it does keep them focused to a degree.

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

What's the word on CV-19? Is there a huge spike in the cases since the protests?

The US should be worried about this. The protests are important. But the mass gatherings are still dangerous. 

The situation is Canada and the US is different at the moment. Canada and other countries, flatten the curve. The US has given up on many levels. They tried. But could not trend down. 

There's only so much individuals can do, the failure in leadership in the US made flattening the curve impossible. 

We can only hope for the best. 

17 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

The US should be worried about this. The protests are important. But the mass gatherings are still dangerous. 

The situation is Canada and the US is different at the moment. Canada and other countries, flatten the curve. The US has given up on many levels. They tried. But could not trend down. 

There's only so much individuals can do, the failure in leadership in the US made flattening the curve impossible. 

We can only hope for the best. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7030585/anti-racism-rally-vancouver-friday-george-floyd/

Now I'm not opposed to the idea of peaceful protests to raise awareness to a serious societal issue that needs changing or addressing but I think this is a bad idea considering the current situation we are in.  Also, some of these "peaceful protests" lead to more violence, deaths and destruction of property undermining the original message that it was meant to sent.  The organizers of these events need to consider this instead of knee jerk protests to satisfy the current anger that exists out there.  

How effective have these protests been?  Has something been done about it?  We had protests and riots after the Rodney King incident.  Has anything improved since?

I know that we have issues of our own here but they are very much different than what is going on down south.  

8 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7030585/anti-racism-rally-vancouver-friday-george-floyd/

Now I'm not opposed to the idea of peaceful protests to raise awareness to a serious societal issue that needs changing or addressing but I think this is a bad idea considering the current situation we are in.  Also, some of these "peaceful protests" lead to more violence, deaths and destruction of property undermining the original message that it was meant to sent.  The organizers of these events need to consider this instead of knee jerk protests to satisfy the current anger that exists out there.  

How effective have these protests been?  Has something been done about it?  We had protests and riots after the Rodney King incident.  Has anything improved since?

I know that we have issues of our own here but they are very much different than what is going on down south.  

The Rodney King riots were about 30 years ago and things aren't any better now and you wonder why people are rioting?

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I wish the news would start reporting the positivity rate for new cases. These daily updates on virus numbers are starting to get skewed as governments increase their capacity for more testing.

I try to keep tabs on the hospitalization rate, although that can be tough to keep tabs on outside of a local area.  (Like I hear BCs numbers regularly, but nothing outside of that)

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I try to keep tabs on the hospitalization rate, although that can be tough to keep tabs on outside of a local area.  (Like I hear BCs numbers regularly, but nothing outside of that)

That could be a potential proxy, but I think the amount of people with mild symptoms is just as important. Of course the severity of the virus stems from its ability to hospitalize people, but I also find the rate at which it spreads and how it's able to hide by not causing symptoms is just as scary. 

The amount of carriers is just as important as how many people have been hospitalized. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

32 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

at this point it's transcended race, imo, and has moved into a movement against the militarism of the police forces around the US and the world for that matter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wloutet said:

Yah those were the old days when BC highschools had rigor. Kids used to study hard right to the end of june in their academic classes back when highschool courses had provincial exams...  Most importantly teachers were compared to each other in the school / district / province based on their students exam scores.... So teachers were relentless in driving students to perform on these exams.

Those days are long gone nowdays... now every  kid gets a gold sticker and told they can become a doctor if they want to....

Most teachers have zero clue about jobs in trades and tech and instead tell kids to get a bachelors degree... they fail to mention to the kids that this will likely get them a job at a local starbucks...

Edited by kingofsurrey

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Very little is fully understood about covid.  Posters like you that are posting things as facts....   well that is just irresponsible.

Saying asymptomatic transmisson MAY occur....  well ANY grade 3 student in BC would tell you is not a  a responsible statement. 

right

so you are suggesting

we stop using our brains

and parse the details of what is known about this virus

so we can make intelligent decisions about our health and activities

and instead

cloak our lives in a solid mantel of fear?

this thread is so polarized

the internet is becoming silly

fear mongering is the rule for so many

the person you are responding to simply quoted a reliable source

and you believe you know better??

amazing

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

and i am happy to report

that my wish to dine out occasionally at my favourite places

is again restored

the feedback i received when i expressed this desire around a month ago

did not prevent this reality from happening

small comforts have been realized

and the infection rate in bc has continued to go down

am still baffled how that could possibly have have happened

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

at this point it's transcended race, imo, and has moved into a movement against the militarism of the police forces around the US and the world for that matter.

I think the judicial system is in play at here as well.  The police put the criminals in Jail and the judicial system sets them free.  Frustrations ensue.  Not saying that this the main cause but it does factor into it.

Just now, coho8888 said:

I think the judicial system is in play at here as well.  The police put the criminals in Jail and the judicial system sets them free.  Frustrations ensue.  Not saying that this the main cause but it does factor into it.

agree and disagree.  The judicial system is an issue, for sure, because it provides earning opportunities for the private prison companies and disagree because the disproportionate number of the incarcerated are men of colour or those in poverty..........I don't see them letting a lot of people off "free".

19 hours ago, gurn said:

https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome

"When you meet someone who has Asperger's syndrome, you might notice two things right off. He's just as smart as other folks, but he has more trouble with social skills. He also tends to have an obsessive focus on one topic or perform the same behaviors again and again."

"And he might repeat himself a lot, especially on a topic that he's interested in."

I wonder if Vitamin D helps with this?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2