The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

46 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Most importantly teachers were compared to each other in the school / district / province based on their students exam scores.... So teachers were relentless in driving students to perform on these exams.

I'll give you an example of an exam I took in about 1985. I was teaching part time, and working for a computer company part time. The kids were complaining about having to write exams as no one ever has to do this after they leave school. So I told them about my exam the next day. It was a 2 hour oral exam in front of 3 very knowledgeable people. 12 people were to take this exam at different times. One would "pass" and get 100%, the other 11 would fail and get 0%. The "exam" was for a computer contract and was worth $400,000 over three years. They were looking at 12 vendors, but only 1 would be awarded the contract. I prepared for that exam the same way I had prepared for all of my exams since grade 9, reviewing what our company offered, what the others offered, what questions would I be asked, and how would I answer them, etc.. I passed, and we got the contract. I, of course, only got a commission, but it was a nice sale. Every sales person has to do the same thing: know your product, without having to go and look it up, know the competition, and so on.  My student's life would be filled with exams. I had to take an Insurance exam, with a pass mark of 75%, others take Real Estate exams, I've tutored people needing help in mathematics to pass their armed forces exam, their CGA, their commercial diving exam, and so on. I did not care how my students did against other schools, I did care that the students knew how to prepare and write exams.

47 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I'll give you an example of an exam I took in about 1985. I was teaching part time, and working for a computer company part time. The kids were complaining about having to write exams as no one ever has to do this after they leave school. So I told them about my exam the next day. It was a 2 hour oral exam in front of 3 very knowledgeable people. 12 people were to take this exam at different times. One would "pass" and get 100%, the other 11 would fail and get 0%. The "exam" was for a computer contract and was worth $400,000 over three years. They were looking at 12 vendors, but only 1 would be awarded the contract. I prepared for that exam the same way I had prepared for all of my exams since grade 9, reviewing what our company offered, what the others offered, what questions would I be asked, and how would I answer them, etc.. I passed, and we got the contract. I, of course, only got a commission, but it was a nice sale. Every sales person has to do the same thing: know your product, without having to go and look it up, know the competition, and so on.  My student's life would be filled with exams. I had to take an Insurance exam, with a pass mark of 75%, others take Real Estate exams, I've tutored people needing help in mathematics to pass their armed forces exam, their CGA, their commercial diving exam, and so on. I did not care how my students did against other schools, I did care that the students knew how to prepare and write exams.

Fraser insitute did well  off publishing school ratings largely  based on these exams.

Weird thing.....  schools on the west side of vancouver tended to do better on exams.  Private schools that had entrance exams for new students also did a better on the exams .  Weird heh ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

and i am happy to report

that my wish to dine out occasionally at my favourite places

is again restored

the feedback i received when i expressed this desire around a month ago

did not prevent this reality from happening

small comforts have been realized

and the infection rate in bc has continued to go down

am still baffled how that could possibly have have happened

That is correct

on May 12th you mentioned you wanted to go out and eat at a restaurant

Now in early June the health authorities have decided it is doable.

24 days later, an eternity in Covid times.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

That is correct

on May 12th you mentioned you wanted to go out and eat at a restaurant

Now in early June the health authorities have decided it is doable.

24 days later, an eternity in Covid times.

well actually that has occurred well before today for me

but thanks for your day counting anyway

(by your count, happened almost 1/2 an eternity ago)

Edited by coastal.view

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well actually that has occurred well before today for me

but thanks for your day counting anyway

(by your count, happened almost 1/2 an eternity ago)

Is the covid19 pandemic sound kind of a competition for. you ?  No medal  being given out  for first restaurant diner in BC .

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Fraser insitute did well  off publishing school ratings largely  based on these exams.

Weird thing.....  schools on the west side of vancouver tended to do better on exams.  Private schools that had entrance exams for new students also did a better on the exams .  Weird heh ?

Don't get me into the private school vs public school debate. I've looked a "clouds" from both sides now... having taught at public schools and private schools over the past 50 years. The private schools were a joy to teach at, but boy was the difference really slanted. Small classes, few discipline problems, homework assigned, 2 hour prep every night 5 times a week, compulsory tutoring or Sunday leave  taken away if you were falling behind. But it was not for me. I didn't want to be teaching somebody from another city, or province, or country, I wanted to be teaching in the environment I was living in. So about 92% of my teaching was public schools. Then I taught on the East side of Vancouver in the 70's for 4 years, and at 11 other schools on the island since 1974. I've never taught at the any of the schools on Vancouver's west side, but I am sure that it was very different.

As far as the Fraser Institute, let's just say, they have an agenda.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is the covid19 pandemic sound kind of a competition for. you ?  No medal  being given out  for first restaurant diner in BC .

thanks for jumping into the middle of a discussion that has spanned more then today

you clearly have no idea of the history

but you think you can frame this simplistically

fine job

• Cheers 1

Is Doctor Bonnie listening.... ?  Is Horgan / Fleming  listening..... ?

The World Health Organization (WHO) has changed its advice on face masks, saying they should be worn in public to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

"We have evidence now that if this is done properly it can provide a barrier for potentially infectious droplets," Dr Maria Van Kerkhove told Reuters.

"And we specify a fabric mask - that is, a non-medical mask," she added.

The WHO had previously said there was not enough evidence to say that healthy people should wear masks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52945210

Had lunch at Romers this afternoon with my co-worker.  Server was wearing a mask.  Place had social distancing measures in place.

My co-worker and I were not wearing a mask (cuz sidewalks and restaurant was not crowded).

I'll let you know if I got infected or not.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

and i am happy to report

that my wish to dine out occasionally at my favourite places

is again restored

the feedback i received when i expressed this desire around a month ago

did not prevent this reality from happening

small comforts have been realized

and the infection rate in bc has continued to go down

am still baffled how that could possibly have have happened

Why would it prevent this reality from happening in the first place? I doubt anyone ever said you'd NEVER get to dine in again. It would just be a matter of time.

This whole thing is going to be a temporary thing no matter what, with or without covid. It's still important to be smart about things to limit the deaths and not overload the hospitals, which is what all of this is about in the first place.

But hey, at least now we can enjoy some of what we had before now, so cheers to that. :)

Edited by The Lock

10,000 people in Vancouver for the protest...most wearing masks, some not.  We'll see what this means for our COVID numbers.

Also...saw an awful lot of Alberta, California and other plates today.  Nervous time as we wait to see what unfolds down the road.

Be safe everyone.  Not out of the woods yet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

10,000 people in Vancouver for the protest...most wearing masks, some not.  We'll see what this means for our COVID numbers.

Also...saw an awful lot of Alberta, California and other plates today.  Nervous time as we wait to see what unfolds down the road.

Be safe everyone.  Not out of the woods yet.

California???

How???

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

California???

How???

Could've been up here for a while.  I see a car parked on the road most days for the past few months with a California plate while out for my nightly walk or run.  Can't remember the last time I saw a Washington plate, for what it's worth.  Definitely echo the uptick of Alberta plates in the last 2 weeks though.

• Upvote 1